why is my fps so crap?

F

FoXeH

on every sidi raid/relic raid keep raid or whatever my fps shrinks down to around 3-10 when there are alot of people, not that many really, and whenever im in sauvage the game gets unplayable though i expect some slowdown i don't really think it would be this bad :( my specs are
amd athlon 2000+
dont know what motherboard i have
512mb 133ddr
40 gig hd
windows xp professional (updated)
and a radeon 9600 pro (latest cata drivers, was same with old ones too) ive overcloked its clock rate too and noticed a very slight fps increase
ive tried that hare program that someone said about in another threat but not noticed a change
anyone any ideas? this is getting so anoying! thanks for any help

E

Ekydus

Turn off shadows and spell effects when on the larger events.

W

Wiro

And what about still having that problem when shadows etc are already off?

F

FoXeH

i keep shadows off and water off too anyway but the spell effects wont make much difference i dont think. like when im on a sidi raid just before we all eneter and everyones stood still not casting, slow as hell

D

darzil

The thing that's probably causing the problem is the large number of new textures being loaded at these times. This means that large number of small files are being loaded up, which can take time.

In a coming patch we get the option to pre-load them, which should make a difference (although it may need more than 512 MB ram). However, for now, you could also try excluding the Camelot directories (or Shrouded Isles) from your Virus Checker (as it's checks may well slow down the loading operation), although I'd recommend a daily scan of those directories to compensate. There is also a switch that can be altered in Windows XP, to switch off the updating of the last access time whenever you access a file, which will also help a little (I'll try to look up the detail later).

It may help to reduce your colour from 32 bit to 16 bit. This reduces the amount of information you have to transfer through your graphics card, and may speed things up. As the human eye can only cope with 22bits anyway, you'll lose less than you may think.

Finally, you can have some success by going to a very laggy area , starting something like FRAPS, and playing with your Graphics Cards antialiasing, filtering and quality settings. Which settings you can live with will be very dependent on your card. It's also interesting to see how much changing in game settings will change the frame rate.

Darzil

D

darzil

Found it. The Last Access tip is :

This only relates to NTFS formatted drives.

NTFS writes information to the files every time they are used. This takes time but can be switched off.

Go to START>RUN when the dialogue box opens type:

command

and then click RUN. This starts the command line editor (looks like DOS). At the flashing cursor type:

FSUTIL BEHAVIOR SET DISABLELASTACCESS 1

Press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard. The flashing cursor will return to a new line. Job done!

If you are unhappy with the result, and I cannot see why you would be the switch back is the same routine but type:

FSUTIL BEHAVIOR SET DISABLELASTACCESS 0

in the Command editor box and the Enter or Return key on your keyboard.

Darzil

Users who are viewing this thread