Why do you still play?

Brannor McThife

Fledgling Freddie
So I'm sitting here thinking, reading all the nerfs/patches that Mythic are churning out, and I wonder.

Why do any of you still play? Does PL yet another fotm alt really "do it" for you? Do you only play because you have supposed friends that you've made in the game? What makes you click on that icon, select a character, type in your password and play again. Day after day?

Just wonderring really.

-G

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
it's fun :)

I like PvE raids, I like planning my cleric's new kit (and then pouting at how long I'll have to be xping my artifacts and how unaffordable that ring I want is), I like playing hurling with my mercenary and beating Dep's team into the ground.

I enjoy killing witherwoodes with my fiancee's chars or with some friends in game...

Hell I swore myself off RvR till after NF came out the other day, but went out last night because I thought "sodit might as well give it a shot" and duoed with a guildmates sorc in emain and even though I died a lot it was damned good fun.

I like talking to my guildmates, organising events for them, turning up to events they organise. I like talking to my friends on my /friends list, comparing items, specs, pondering respecs.

I like the feeling that I belong in my alliance and that there's a whole load of us that will defend Albion should we get something worth defending back...

I always was a little odd mind you...

Gibberish

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmmm good question. I have asked myself over and over again why I'm still playing. It boils down to 3 things really - I miss the people I normally hang with on DAOC if I dont log on, there is nothing else out there -for the moment- which even compares to DAOC IMO (even in its current and quite frankly uter shite form) and its something to do till EQ2 is on general release.

TBH I quickly became bored with DAOC soon after the release of TOA. I havent done 1 ML or collected 1 artifact and the number of times I have been there probably numbers less than five. I absolutely refuse to be forced in to hours and hours and hours of PVE just to be able to compete in RVR. It really has killed the game for me. Anyway /rant off now lol.

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
I probably play for 2 or 3 hours a week now.

Where as I used to play about 40 a week when I was really into it :eek:

People have left, got bored, etc...

Might get more into it when NF comes out, 1 thing I really do enjoy is a nice keep take/defend.

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
The grind of leveling up another class in Midgard, getting that artifact another level or looking for that special scroll takes up most of my ingame time but that dosnt answer the question...

I play the game still because of the really fun moments in great battles you can, and do, experience from time to time in RvR - solo and grouped.

I play the game still because I like to play multiplayer games and talking with friends with common interests.

I play the game still because there is still goals for me to reach - I'd like to see endgame PvE in other realms, I'd like to get one of my toons rr5+ and I think the upcoming improvements look interesting still.

All in all I play until something more interesting comes along - I just let it take the time it takes. :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Gibberish said:
TBH I quickly became bored with DAOC soon after the release of TOA. I havent done 1 ML or collected 1 artifact and the number of times I have been there probably numbers less than five. I absolutely refuse to be forced in to hours and hours and hours of PVE just to be able to compete in RVR. It really has killed the game for me. Anyway /rant off now lol.

you've not been there? the encounters are great fun - sure if you wanna get ml10 NOW it's gonna be hell, but ToA is a superb expansion.

There's some artifacts that still need camping but they're getting fewer - and if it's one of the "camped" artifacts I just don't bother with it to be honest - maybe once catacombs comes out :p

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
so i can slag off dep and laugh at Fingo's newest gimp spec ofc.

oh and since i play a cabby its not like they can nerf me much more :)

Amuse

One of Freddy's beloved
2 simple reasons.

1. i just got my cleric to 50, so want to play her in RvR before i quit.

2. i got some good friends, and we are planing to run some RvR gorups. want to test that ouet, and dont want to let them down now that we are so close to reaching ouer target.

now that GoA has managed to fuck up again, and once again, steal ouer money, and dont give us a tiny bit of info, the leting my friends down part is the only reason keeping me in the game.. or.. i should say that in another way.. keeping me waiting for GoA to fix my account!!

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
RvR is still fun some days... rest is pretty shit :(

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Gibberish said:

So basically you havn't bothered trying ToA, but you hate it all the same?... I'm sure that makes some kind of sense, I just can't see it.

Gibberish

Fledgling Freddie
Yep Archeon - quite correct - why would I need to go to TOA when my only reason for going would be to PVE when I can do that in classic midgard or SI?

My point was that I will not do be forced in to hours of PVE by what is a blatant attempt by Mythic to force you in to playing the game for hours and hours more just so they can keep grabbing your cash and just so for me to be on an equal par with others. I will not bow to this manipulation even if others will. Sorry.

Therefore I see no need to go to TOA, which is why I have not gone to TOA. QED.

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
Brannor McThife said:
So I'm sitting here thinking, reading all the nerfs/patches that Mythic are churning out, and I wonder.

Why do any of you still play? Does PL yet another fotm alt really "do it" for you? Do you only play because you have supposed friends that you've made in the game? What makes you click on that icon, select a character, type in your password and play again. Day after day?

Just wonderring really.

-G

i dont play :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gibberish said:
Yep Archeon - quite correct - why would I need to go to TOA when my only reason for going would be to PVE when I can do that in classic midgard or SI?

My point was that I will not do be forced in to hours of PVE by what is a blatant attempt by Mythic to force you in to playing the game for hours and hours more just so they can keep grabbing your cash and just so for me to be on an equal par with others. I will not bow to this manipulation even if others will. Sorry.

Therefore I see no need to go to TOA, which is why I have not gone to TOA. QED.

So... solid reasons not to get TOA, as you like PvE and can do that in classic or SI... so .... err..... why did you get SI? :p

Gibberish

Fledgling Freddie
Aaaaargh I knew this would happen. Have never been able to express myself well in text. A lot of what I write ends up being very ambiguous.

So gonna try again and hopefully get it right this time. Dont like TOA because I feel its a blatant attempt by Mythic to force you in to playing the game longer and therefore increasing their revenue. I feel that Mythic have screwed us with the release of TOA. Its just a money making exercise for them, not an attempt to improve the game in anyway and keep their money by increasing current player base enjoyment and therefore encouraging players to play and stay with the game.

That is why I hate TOA. That is why I feel very let down by this expansion. That is why I will be moving from DAOC as soon as I can. NF for me is too litle too late.

Ghost

Fledgling Freddie
I asked myself that question once, after that i quitted daoc for 3 months.

I went "online" again with ToA and I must say that im having more fun now, with ToA, even if the scroll farming can drive any man insane sometimes.

The main reason i quitted before was just that pretty much the only thing you could do with your level 50 char was RvR, and as I wasnt in a guild that had optimized groups, or even RvR:ed much, i had a really hard time finding a group at all.

Now with ToA you can always join in on getting an artifact , do some ML steps, or even farm scrolls.

Jpeg[LOD]

Fledgling Freddie
i still play the game cos i still enjoy it . i am not a l33tist rvr nut. and belieave it or not i actually enjoy pve ..

GG raids . GG rvr grps... solo/small grp raids ......

rvr can be a bit tedious somtimes with the opital fotm enemy grps running around.

but i enjoy the game non the less. i dont consider myself a fotm player (see sig) and i never will be . i dont own a inf a merc or chanter / savge not even a necro ...

friar / theurg n scout (which are ALL 12+ months old) and scout still not 50 . so fotm is hardly a word ddescribing me lol ...

the game has its flaws yes. and it has many assholes in it. but i still enjoy the game and... plain and simpley becuase I play it the way I want to. i dont and wont conform to fotm set ups just to please others.

im sure those who areunhappyare those who do try to fit in with the l33tist attitudes and fotm setups

my advice is if u want to enjoy the game . play it as YOU want and dont go for a certain spec etc or class just becuase on a whole the gam suggests its the best way to do. roll a class u like and play/spec as u want.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i still play because... im addicted and i need something to kill spare time :p

Amuse

One of Freddy's beloved
Ormorof said:
i still play because... im addicted and i need something to kill spare time :p

trye a new game, and get a new addiction? :p

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Amuse said:
trye a new game, and get a new addiction? :p

well, i could and ive tried, but it doesnt last long :p

a game without trolls is well... naff :(

NetNifty

Fledgling Freddie
I still play because:

- I enjoy going on ToA raids, I enjoy competing with my brother Link to be the first ML10 in the guild (AoP is a relatively small guild now, well compared to the likes of GoL and others, although our alliance usually means it isnt too much of a problem) ;)
- I enjoy scroll farming, levelling artifacts, and farming cash whether solo or grouped.
- I like being in my guild, having conversations over guild chat with the occasional grp and being a GM means I really don't want to leave the game probably more than if I wasnt.
- I like powerlvling alts and making vast amounts of cash in the progress :)
- No other game really compares to DAoC for me - almost every game I've played since i've been on DAoC i've played for 1 or 2 days, got bored and went back to DAoC (only really exception to this was probably Wind Waker on the gamecube and even then i played DAoC when my bro was playing it).
- I like waiting for the two new expansions - Catacombs (more PvE :D) and Frontiers (hopefully will make it so RvR is more fun that it is now - getting a grp (which can be rare if your not a FOTM class) and getting wiped repeatidly making barely any rps or mlxp really isnt fun for me - Although smite club is a laugh :D).
- I've got plenty left to do - i want to level all my chars to 50, get them all ML10, get all LGM crafters etc

Ottar

Fledgling Freddie
> Why do any of you still play?

Well, I for one dont. Aint played since january last year. Which kind of disqualifies me from commenting much on ToA but still..

> err..... why did you get SI?

One major difference between SI and ToA seems to be that SI actually made the PvE part alot easier.

1. It made levelling easier. More decent spawns. Last level can be done almost entirely on a few high yield quests.

2. It made equippment easier. With just one day of questing you could get a few high UV pieces that made maxing out one's suit much easier (for most classes). Then you -could- go raiding in high end dungeons and get more high UV stuff but that was by no means mandatory.

3. It made logistics easier. Teleports from SI town made moving around the realm faster. Also, crafting concentrated in one town with all the materials made hunting for crafters easier for customers as well as crafters.

All in all, what SI did was cut down on various inconveniances. ToA seems to have done the exact opposite.

> trye a new game, and get a new addiction?

If there is anything decent out there I aint found it in 5 months and I have been trying.

Ottar

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Gibberish said:
Aaaaargh I knew this would happen. Have never been able to express myself well in text. A lot of what I write ends up being very ambiguous.

So gonna try again and hopefully get it right this time. Dont like TOA because I feel its a blatant attempt by Mythic to force you in to playing the game longer and therefore increasing their revenue. I feel that Mythic have screwed us with the release of TOA. Its just a money making exercise for them, not an attempt to improve the game in anyway and keep their money by increasing current player base enjoyment and therefore encouraging players to play and stay with the game.

That is why I hate TOA. That is why I feel very let down by this expansion. That is why I will be moving from DAOC as soon as I can. NF for me is too litle too late.

Ahh, K. I understand now. I don't really agree, but thats my opinion. Not yours obviously. I'd say give it a try for PvE though, most of the ML's i've done so far (barring the Nightmare that is ML3 :( ) have been fun, as for grinding. I've been levelling my toons in the ToA zones, somthing i'm amazed other people havn't been doing. The ToA ROG drops are great, as well as the nice camp bonus I get for most mobs I come across (though thats largly in part due to people being unwilling to hunt in ToA, thus most mobs are unkilled for a respectable degree of time)

The only major problems I have with ToA are ML3 (obviously), and Caster's underwater. Its practically impossible to lvl my RM underwater not only because of the range problems, but also half the mobs are so quick underwater even with my snareDD and the crafter made breathing potions I can't kite them properly. Classic example of this is shark type mobs, they're totally unkitable!

I'm not going to say TOA is the greatest thing to happen to the game, yes it has introduced lots of problems, notably the way you need to do the trials to be competative (I suppose i'm lucky in that respect that there are no Perfecter abilities which are seen as 'must have' in normal RvR) - but I would say it does add a lot to the game in terms of content, new areas and such.

Ottar

Fledgling Freddie
> but I would say it does add a lot to the game in terms of content, new areas and such

Content be damned. A MMORPG is not a comic strip, its a virtual world with a life of its own. That life is the real content. Pretty landscape is background. Necessary to create the atmosphere but still just a background. Installments of new stuff into that world can be useful, they can be irrelevant, they can also be a bloody nuissance.

Most beautifully designed zone in Midgard - Munin Sound and the town of Knarr. Also the most irrelevant one. Aside from eye candy and lots of talkative NPC's - nothing of interest or of utility.

Then there's Myrkwood Forest. Nothing spectacular. Yet it is difficult to believe it's actually the same size as the rest of the zones. So many functional places in it. All that with quarter of the landscape being covered by three big lakes.

Ottar

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
I dont - quit bout a month ago.

popped in once and said a joke on /as - then got told off, so i pulled the plug on my 'puter so i could get back outa there faster than waiting 20 sec to /quit

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Gibberish - if ToA is there to _force you to keep playing_ why are you still playing but in RvR? :) not like you pay less per month if you only RvR...

or is RvR there to force you to keep playing too?

ToA gives you more things to do in PvE at high levels, something that was sadly lacking (there was the Sidi and equivalents, and kinda Krondon/AC named but that's it in SI)

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
I dunno why I'm still playing...Subs gonna run out again tomorrow or something, think I won't renew again for another 2 months...Well it's just not as fun as before anymore, just login in few times a week just to spend some time...Playing a skald on pvp and a skald on mid/excal now...bah I should have stopped like 7 months ago or something :/

Marath

Fledgling Freddie
Came back on after something like 2weeks after toa release.
Was actually fun to do the mls and see the things there was on em.
Theres some nice arty encounters. Like how funny its to kite battler ? ;)
I really liked the pve parts on it. Then again that was fun a while for to see everything and get back to rvr.

But after all it is for the friends online.

"Master Levels will not affect rvr." HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
To be competive in rvr you need to do a lot of farming.
---> Still pretty newly found guild rvr action ended. People left. The "old" grew of my friends left the game for something else. Still got a few weeks on sub left before I go. If not sooner.

Just just... hope we find that ml10 portal next time and no server boots just before to move out found portal ! ;)

Archon

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno this game is getting more and more boring..
If NF aint a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGG and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD
expansion, DAOC WILL DIE TOTALY....

Not only with me.. Also the others that keep fooling themself's..
Why do I stay ingame then?... WEll daoc is addicting and I used ALOT of money on that shit.. Cant stop like that... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom