Why daoc still lag when I have machine spec like this

Quantaco

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all !

I am wondering have you guy got maxive lag when you enter or walk inside camelot please?

AS this is my machine spec, but dont understand y is so slow to load up, please give me some advise please:

AMD 64 bit 3000+
512 MB ram
Radeon 9600 256 MB
80GB hard drive

internet connection : 2MB

thx

Girafmad

Fledgling Freddie
you have little memory and its proberly not fast, small hdd wich is proberly also slow, a slow cpu & an old gfx card.. thats proberly why....

Ocalinn

Fledgling Freddie
Girafmad said:
you have little memory and its proberly not fast, small hdd wich is proberly also slow, a slow cpu & an old gfx card.. thats proberly why....

cpu and gfx card is just fine, I have the same on my computer and I dont lag even when running 2x accounts. I would recommend a HDD upgrade and memory upgrade though.

atm I have 2 gb 400 mhz ram and both my hdds are nearly empty and newly formatted so that might be the reason the game is running so smooth for me.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Everything is fine except your RAM. You will encounter massive framerate problems in DR or cata client with 512 mb ram. TOA client will work acceptably with 512mb but you will get alot of lag in zerg situations.

The 9600 will be more than adequate except if you run the game at high resolutions with all details turned on.

I would recommend a HDD upgrade and memory upgrade though.

I have a 80 gb hard drive that has an average read speed of 47 mb/sec (more than fast enough), so dont assume that it is a problem just from what the above posters have said :twak: .

If you are also worried about your hard drive, you can test it using HD Tach avaliable from http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach .This will benchmark the performance of your harddisk. If the average read speed is below 30 mb/s you have a slow hard drive that probably needs to be either defragged or upgraded.

Irksole

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
Everything is fine except your RAM. You will encounter massive framerate problems in DR or cata client with 512 mb ram. TOA client will work acceptably with 512mb but you will get alot of lag in zerg situations.

256mb here and i run cats fairly problem free, crap pc spec too.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
DR client will use around 600mb of memory. If you don't have a gig, you'll be using a pagefile; which can be very slow unless you have an exceptionally fast HD (unlikely if you have 512mb RAM ;))

Sye

Fledgling Freddie
I'd suggest you upgrade your RAM, 512 can handle DAOC but as you have experienced you will have frame lag.

If your not sure what memory you should buy try Crucial, there you can find the right sort of memory for your motherboard and at a decent price, from a decent company

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Yepp, its the combination of little RAM and only 1 hard drive. Since your page file is on the same physical drive as the game the CPU has to shovel data from the drive into the RAM and back onto the drive. This takes a lot of time and CPU cycles.

It is generally advised to use a different physical hard drive for the page file than for the software you are running (For example I have my OS and page file on one and all games on another drive.) even if you have decent amounts of RAM.

Anyways, going by the low RAM prices these days there is no excuse not to have at least 1GB in a gaming machine. :)

Laddey

FH is my second home
Irksole said:
256mb here and i run cats fairly problem free, crap pc spec too.

Sure? I used to run on 512 and catas was balls with that. probably due to my gforce 2 and my 7gig harddrive and 128kb/s internet connection though

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
I wouldnt have thought 265mb would run cata's, I have a machine with 384mb ram and it chokes due to it - the card etc I know runs Cata's fine as it used to be in my machine with 2gb memory so its def choking on the memory, even seen it struggle on 512mb ... (and don't ask why I have a machine with just 384mb - its more like a big calculator normally for me - just a backup machine usually tbh and just test the odd game on it out of interest)

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
512 = laggy as hell even with swap on a seperate drive (altho that does help a bit if u dont/cant spring for more ram)

1024 = always smooth as silk (until u load half the zones in the game into ram)

most ive ever seen daoc use on this is <1.5gb after loading most of toa+nf and albion zones along with some dungeons into ram. but if u run 2 accounts u can prolly use 2gb to be 100% safe from lag.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Personally i'd go for 2 gigs of OCUK's ram, damn cheap and although you don't post your mobo, all 939s take them and lots of 754's do

Also if you're using DR or catacombs, with your gfx card you shouldn't be expecting for camelot to be running perfectly smoothly, 9600 is a niceish card, but not in the current gaming world

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
2GB RAM = pwn

1GB RAM = survive

<1GB RAM = /rel

Windows XP itself uses atleast 256 MB while running; the DR client wants at least 500 MB. When thinking up how much RAM your system needs, aim for 512 MB-worth of headroom to allow for other random processes that are running, MP3 players, Vent etc.

If you think you're going to need 1GB, get 2GB.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
- English - said:
my average read spd of my HD is 51 ~

that ok?

fine, its not the fastest disk out there but it aint the slowest either. My oldish 300gb maxtor does about 55 and my even older WD80 about 48. both are fine for daoc. Im guessing seek time will probably also have an impact on incoming fights in rvr aswell, so keep an eye out for that.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Jeriraa said:
Yepp, its the combination of little RAM and only 1 hard drive. Since your page file is on the same physical drive as the game the CPU has to shovel data from the drive into the RAM and back onto the drive. This takes a lot of time and CPU cycles.

It is generally advised to use a different physical hard drive for the page file than for the software you are running (For example I have my OS and page file on one and all games on another drive.) even if you have decent amounts of RAM.

Anyways, going by the low RAM prices these days there is no excuse not to have at least 1GB in a gaming machine. :)

okay i got 2 hd's in my computer 80 an 120. The 80 gb is split up so one hardrive runs windows an other runs my games.. would it be better to use the 120 gb for games an the 80 gb for windows+ movies?

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
if you refuse to use anymore money on your computer you could also lower your game details abit which should give you some form of improvement, but i agree with almost everyone in here saying you should get more ram :)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Eeben said:
okay i got 2 hd's in my computer 80 an 120. The 80 gb is split up so one hardrive runs windows an other runs my games.. would it be better to use the 120 gb for games an the 80 gb for windows+ movies?

Test the speeds and seek times of both them. Keep the faster one for games :) Generally you are best to have your swap file on a different physical drive to your games. You could try 2 logical partitions on the slower drive, one for OS and other apps, and another smaller partition, say 5gb, for the swap file. Keep the other for games and anything else you want.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
Test the speeds and seek times of both them. Keep the faster one for games :) Generally you are best to have your swap file on a different physical drive to your games. You could try 2 logical partitions on the slower drive, one for OS and other apps, and another smaller partition, say 5gb, for the swap file. Keep the other for games and anything else you want.

how do i test the speed of my hd? :)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Eeben said:
how do i test the speed of my hd? :)

Get it to run laps on a 1 mile circuit and get it to do say 10 laps - then work out the average mph from there... easy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom