Who has a laptop for SI?

O

old.Kerosene

Hi all,

I'm gonna splash out on a laptop this weekend for work and I'd like one that I can play SI on. It needs to have a card which support hardware T&L too if possible.

Anyone here use a laptop to play SI? Which make and model is it?

Any suggestions?

T

Takhasis

as long as its got 16MB vid mem or better it'll take it.

My Sony Viao (256 MB Mem 1.5GHz Athlon XP) only has 8mb mem :/ so screwed for SI, but normal DAOC is perfect...

C

cHodAX

Your best bet is to look at ATi and nvidia's websites under the mobile products list. They should both have TnL mobile parts listed and also links to manufactuers.

R

Roo Stercogburn

I manage to run it on a laptop and its reasonable. Dell Inspiron with GeForce 2 Go 16MB RAM which I've had for a couple of years now. Not fantastic but ok.

Not all the effects show though but its enough for me that it works.

Nico runs a similar laptop but he's got a different graphics card and I know he's had shedloads of trouble with it and simply can't take his toon into the SI areas. Think its a Radeon something or other.

F

Falcon

I use it on my Dell laptop, Inspiron 8200, 64mb GeForce 4 Go, 512mb RAM, P4m 2ghz, it runs really really nicely with the only downside being that the GeForce 4 Go doesn't seem to support SI's reflective water, not sure if this is changeable by updating drivers but I'd guess probably not. I spent a lot of time looking into a good gaming/game dev laptop and the choices of companies to go for are basically either Dell (www.dell.co.uk) or Alienware (www.alienware.co.uk).

I use my laptop for gaming, programming and modelling, performance under 3D Studio Max 5 is very good, games run fine - Medal of Honor runs on it at 1600 x 1200 at a very decent frame rate and compile times are, well compile times, nothing out the ordinary there. Also, Dell very often do offers where they bundle in a DVD + CDRW drive instead of a standard DVD drive or whatever. When I bought my laptop they bundled in 512mb instead of 256mb and the DVD+CDRW drive instead of a DVD drive which was quite nice. I think my laptop cost around £1700 as standard but take the 3yrs on site warranty down to 1yr and you can drop it to £1500, or go crazy like me and pump up every addon, bung in a Cisco aironet 350 series card and total out on it at about £2400 ;) This was around 9+ months ago, so not sure on prices now.

B

Blackstuff

I bought a fujitsu-siemens Amilo D recently and run my 2nd account through it. It has an ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9000 graphics thing.

The performance is great ie no lag or gfx problems BUT the picture is crap - totally washed out and pale. I have it sat beside my desktop and the difference in quality is outrageous. There doesn't seem to be anything to change except contrast which makes bugger all difference.

On that basis I wouldn't recommend this machine if you're mainly going to be playing daoc on it.

Hope this helps a little in cutting down the choices.

O

Old Nicodemus

Originally posted by Roo Stercogburn
I manage to run it on a laptop and its reasonable. Dell Inspiron with GeForce 2 Go 16MB RAM which I've had for a couple of years now. Not fantastic but ok.

Not all the effects show though but its enough for me that it works.

Nico runs a similar laptop but he's got a different graphics card and I know he's had shedloads of trouble with it and simply can't take his toon into the SI areas. Think its a Radeon something or other.

Yep. Mine is a better spec than Roo's laptop with a 64 mb Radeon GFX card. It sucks badly on any new game. Old games.. not a problem. New games.. well I might as well watch paint dry. Less stressful on the eyes. Have looked for new drivers but the ATi chip seems to be a forgotten chipset in terms of driver updates. Never mind.. getting my new Alienware PC soon though :)

T

tripitaka

Alienware is def your best bet. I personally run a Dell Latitude C640 lappy, that doesn't have HW T&L but SI runs fine on it.

The only thing i can see that's missing is the water effects.

Spec :

40 gb HDD
512 mb mem
32mb Nvidia graphics chipset
1.8 p4

N

Nichneven

Originally posted by Falcon
I use it on my Dell laptop, Inspiron 8200, 64mb GeForce 4 Go, 512mb RAM, P4m 2ghz, it runs really really nicely with the only downside being that the GeForce 4 Go doesn't seem to support SI's reflective water, not sure if this is changeable by updating drivers but I'd guess probably not. I spent a lot of time looking into a good gaming/game dev laptop and the choices of companies to go for are basically either Dell (www.dell.co.uk) or Alienware (www.alienware.co.uk).

I use my laptop for gaming, programming and modelling, performance under 3D Studio Max 5 is very good, games run fine - Medal of Honor runs on it at 1600 x 1200 at a very decent frame rate and compile times are, well compile times, nothing out the ordinary there. Also, Dell very often do offers where they bundle in a DVD + CDRW drive instead of a standard DVD drive or whatever. When I bought my laptop they bundled in 512mb instead of 256mb and the DVD+CDRW drive instead of a DVD drive which was quite nice. I think my laptop cost around £1700 as standard but take the 3yrs on site warranty down to 1yr and you can drop it to £1500, or go crazy like me and pump up every addon, bung in a Cisco aironet 350 series card and total out on it at about £2400 ;) This was around 9+ months ago, so not sure on prices now.

Yeah, in America, Dell has a special package deal every wednesday. Don't know if that applies to the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom