Which Linux ?

B

bids

After a major H/Drive crash, I'm going to have to re-install Linux on my PIII 600, 256 Mb RAM. I was running Oracle 8i, Apache, DCHP, Qauke 3 :)) ) and a couple of other bits on it, which was rock solid on Mandrake 7.0.

My question is are there any other distro's I should be looking at ? Happy with Mandrake, but if any other version is 'better', let me know.

Cheers in advance.

A

Atomic Rammer

I really like SuSE linux.
The latest has really nice install.
Its admin tool yast is excellent, which configures important settings/files and manages rpm/tgz installs.
x server configure utility SAX which is made by SuSE is also very good.
U get a nice manual too.

O

old.Reverend Flatus

I've not tried owt but RedHat which I've been running for about a year now with no complaints. A friend uses Mandrake and rates it highly, another friend tried SUSE but wasn't that impressed.

There's my tuppence worth :)

O

old.DeViLmAn-TZS

As a user of Linux i recommend this one Slaware Linux 7.1 and or newer versions its a pain to install but its the best Linux OS i know besides debby and ians <----- debian linux Slakware is alot easier to use to you can get most of them from here http://www.linuxiso.org if your willing to dl them and or have a burner there very Large .isos so there ya have it.

B

bids

Thanks for the replies guys.

One other point a m8 mentioned - would it be worth waiting for the next kernel release - understand the network layers have been re-written/optimised ?

A

Atomic Rammer

You can download it now and use it anyway. I understand that there are no major bugs left that linus knows of.
2.4 is in the last stages of development, and I have heard that it will be released in around a month or so. Can u wait that long?

B

bids

Well, I'll install Mandrake again for now, just to run the Oracle stuff which is pretty important, and then install the 2.4 version when it appears as final release.

Cheers Syd...

Users who are viewing this thread