Which? DVD

S

Summo

I fancy a DVD player for meh PC but, oh! There're so many to choose from!

I'm after one that would ideally play R1 and R2, but if it's just R2 then so be it.

Which models do you lot use? Are there any which a particularly good or any I should avoid?

Hey! And thanks.

Also, can you get combined DVD players/CD-Writers? If you can, that would be tops, cos I could do with a new one of them as well! :)

E

Embattle

There are a number of devices that both play DVDs and write CDs although normally there is a small compromise such as slightly slower access speeds. Most will come with region 2 only but there are often special firmware upgrades that allow you to play any region, although these aren't official.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/document.php3?Doc=78

S

Summo

Ooh! Looks spinky (but I haven't yet found a UK retailer for that... I'll keep looking).

The "slightly slower access speeds" you mention... am I likely to notice this? ie will films I play jerk or pause occasionally or are you just saying that the read/write speeds aren't as fast as some other, 'single function' models?

E

Embattle

Naaa it would be fine on films just might feel a little sluggish when accessing different types of media but nothing noticable.

Plus its a Plextor which means it owns ;)

S

S-Gray

I got a DVD player for my b'day a few months back, only used it once! :D

One of them logix which where part of a pack about Jeremy Beadle

O

Ono

I recently bought the Lite-on 16xDVD 48XCD Int IDE Retail for about £35 from Dabs.

Cheap and prety good. It's firmware can easily be flashed to allow unlimited multiregion capability.

Y

Yaka

think oc.uk are doing liteone fer £25+vat this week only type offer

S

Summo

Wow! That's cheap. I may well order one tomorrow...

H

Happy Go Lucky

bought a LG dvd/cd-writer drive 12x cdr 8x cdrw 8x dvd 32xcd

for £80 from pcworld recently, very pleased with it :)

Comes with easy cd 5 , I now use 'Direct -CD' coz it's so easy with it ;)

certainly beats my old yamaha 4x4x16x with easy cd 3.5 crap

S

Summo

Originally posted by Ono
I recently bought the Lite-on 16xDVD 48XCD Int IDE Retail for about £35 from Dabs.

Cheap and prety good. It's firmware can easily be flashed to allow unlimited multiregion capability.
I've ordered one of these today, Ono from Overclockers UK. I was encouraged by your recommendation, particularly knowing you're a bit of a DVD buff. :)

If I'm not happy with this purchase I shall be invoicing you directly.

(I also bought the Lite-On CDRW @ £40 and the Itchy-recommended Zalman Flower cooling system @ £30. I love hardware shopping :D)

W

Wilier

I must admit, I also enjoy a good hard shop :)p ) but I tend to get carried away and buy stuff which I dont really need or my measly pocket money wont cover. Ive tried the "but the PC really needs it sweetheart" on Mrs Wil, but it dont work no-more.

I think she's taking lessons from a real IT guru.

*wonders*

W

Wij

Why do you fancy a DVD player for your PC ?

Unless you buy PC mags with DVDs on the front (which are over-priced tosh anyway) I damn you for frivolous toy purchasing !

S

Summo

I disagree! I don't have my own DVD player, but I have DVDs as my house-mate has a player in the front room. With my new bad-boy I need never leave my room again! :D Until my cupboard gets full.

S

S-Gray

unless you have a 20"+ Monitor... not as bad heh

S

Summo

Yeah! My 19incher will be lovely. Plus I can smoke in here. :)

C

caLLous

You live in a house with those bastard non-smoking types too, Summo? :(

S

Summo

Well, one other smokes and the other doesn't. We've agreed no-smoking in the front room, though. Plus, as time goes on I just can't be arsed to spend time with them.

Fuck 'em. Who needs people? WHERE'S MY DVD PLAYAR?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread