Which Console?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I know this is going to open the gates to all kinds of fanboy ranting, but I need advice; 360 Elite or PS3? I know I'm about a year late to the party, but I wasn't here, so sue me. I like FPS', I like driving games, and sport games like SSX etc., and I also like the idea of using the box as a media server. I know 360 has a much more extensive catalog at the moment, but that can't last for ever, right?

And please, no answers of both, or neither, or "consoles suck dude" etc. etc., and no debate about price, I'm not too concerned about that. Oh, and no "get a Wii instead", either, I may get one of those later.

Other info, I do have a HDTV with plenty of HDMI slots, and I do have a PSP (which I hardly ever use, but could be handy for mobile video).

Ta

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you've already got the PSP get a PS3 and wait for titles.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
For Games

As someone that owns both consoles, I'd say that at the moment I would get the 360, simply for the back catalogue. Like you said, it has a greater array of games and that won't last, but I'd get the 360 now and then get the PS3 in about a year's time when there is more to choose from.

Media Center

I know you asked for no, "both" answers, but at the moment I'm still using a chipped xbox with Xbox Media Center to stream video from my PC. The 360 and the PS3 have no support (yet?) for Divx/Xvid and only support a few codecs.
The 360, coupled with a media center enabled PC can stream divx with some 3rd party software, but you'll need a pretty hefty PC to encode on the fly. There is a hint that the PS3 may have divX support soon, but it seems slim.

Not exactly a lot to go on, so sorry if that was no help at all.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I seen a list of updates coming for the fall and its got xvid in it .. now it could have been a false one but I think there is a chance that the 360 will get xvid probably round november time..

I also use it with vista media center and just convert divx movies to formats that it can handle at the moment

no experience with using ps3 for this tho so hard to compare

nath

Fledgling Freddie
PS3 can get linux on it can't it? Surely with that it could play anything you chuck at it?

I'd say given what you're after a PS3 is probably the best choice, the games aren't there yet but they will be.

By the way, I've got an x360 not a PS3 and have no intention of getting one, thus my opinion is clearly the most balanced, unbiased and, well, correct.

:D

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Your gaming preferences seem to suit the 360 much more. Being targetted at the average yank college boy, you have shooters, racers and sports games galore. Not much else though.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ps3 with ydl can play owt thats right and its only a little time to switch bet xmb and ydl. and you can wirlessy play files to psp fine.

atm there a re very few games on ps3, a few good uns on 360

but almost all 3rdparty publishers are going multi platform. if 360 had a hd dvd drive built in mgs4 would prolly have been a multi platform release and end of the day its not gonna make big differance what you buy. unless of course you like either halo3, gt, mgs4 or gow

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I also have both, and for games I prefer the 360 simply because the controller is better. The six axis is absolute shite, it wighs nothing and just feels WRONG.

However, with the price cuts of the 60gb version of the ps3, and the fact that it does blu-ray out of the box, I would suggest you get a ps3. The biggest upcoming game releases are for both formats, so the only thing you will miss out on would be halo (so not much :p). The ps3 is also quieter and just feels like a more polished package than the 360.

Having said that though, I plan to continue buying games for the 360 and just using my ps3 as a cheap blu-ray player.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Aren't they coming out with a redone PS3 pad soon?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If it weighs more and does not give me RSI within minutes then good.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
One thing i can't get my head around, why do people with hdtv's want divx/xvid playback ?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Presumably to play back divx and xvid files they have?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
its heavier, charge laast for only 15 hours,

heavy is good as the current pad is paper light

one big thing i like about the ps3 is the hdd is upgradeable cheaply as you like

mine has 200gb sata drive in that cost me £65, if and when ms release 200gb drive expect to pay in excess of £100

anothering not mention is xbox live its fucking much better for content than psn
which is just shit atm and differs by region yanks have more movie trailers and cheaper motorstorm addons, and the japs have some good shit on thier psn that we cant buy

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Because having hd gear doesn't mean you only ever watch hd stuff. There's countless xvids I watch on my HD projector. The quality on HR-HDTV rip xvids is very decent and .mkv x264 files aren't always available.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The premium xbox 360's with HDMI are now in retail. Some very very good xbrick bundles right now. We are doing £289 with 4 game at work, Halo or pgr4 and fifa08, harry potter and forza2.

The 360 premiums with hdmi come in a box with no handle, they only have one seal on the box that opens and reseals very easily if you want a shop to check for you.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
mine has 200gb sata drive in that cost me £65, if and when ms release 200gb drive expect to pay in excess of £100

I was actually going to mention this, the PS3 HDD can be replaced with any SATA 2.5" drive, so even though you might get the 40gb, you could replace it with a 200gb one (make sure it's > 5400 rpm) - It's also on Linux, so.. :D

Anyway, I've actually played both consoles and damn, I found the PS3 alot better. Mainly because of the controller (I loved the PS2 control) it just fits nicely in your hands.

Games wise? Right now I'd buy a 360, but there's no doubt in hell that next year the PS3 titles will be rolling out...

Buy the PS3 if you want to wait for the games, 360 if you want some now.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
I've just got a ps3 and i'm loving it, most of the games i want i'm having to wait for, but there are some nice distractions on it till they come out.. it's forcing me to buy a new AV reciever though which is an added benefit.

the 360 just never really appealed to me, in the same way i got an xbox way back when and probably played it less than 15 times.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The 360 and the PS3 have no support (yet?) for Divx/Xvid and only support a few codecs.

I dunno if it's public, but I believe the PS3 will have support 'soon'...

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Kane and Lynch, Beowulf.. good month :)

*may still be drunk*

soze

I am a FH squatter

That will make my Month steaming all my DivX with no software or pc needed to decode them :)

Also the Rachet and Clank demo is brilliant fun maybe that will help box shift this christmas.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
That will make my Month steaming all my DivX with no software or pc needed to decode them :)

Also the Rachet and Clank demo is brilliant fun maybe that will help box shift this christmas.

My lad loves Rachet and Clank, so I guess that'll be one of my xmas purchases :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

They have been saying that since the start though bud and it hasn't happened yet. The problem is a licencing issue as much as anything bud, they will have to pay DivX something like a $3-5 licence fee per console and Sony see this as a lose/lose situation for them as DivX is seen as the format of choice for piracy and Sony own a movie studio. I have heard there has been movement on thier postition at Sony though so it could happen as a downloadable add-on before long.

As for Microsluts, I cannot see the logic in no DivX support. They have the perfect infrastructure to deliver the support as downloadable content so they can actually make money on this if they choose to do so, they don't own a movie company so the issue of film piracy is kind of null for them, the same as it is when people are watching pirated films on a Windows based PC. That is what really irks me, they have had 2 years to add support and still we are stuck with shitty WMV. :(

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
They have been saying that since the start though bud and it hasn't happened yet. The problem is a licencing issue as much as anything bud, they will have to pay DivX something like a $3-5 licence fee per console and Sony see this as a lose/lose situation for them as DivX is seen as the format of choice for piracy and Sony own a movie studio. I have heard there has been movement on thier postition at Sony though so it could happen as a downloadable add-on before long.

As for Microsluts, I cannot see the logic in no DivX support. They have the perfect infrastructure to deliver the support as downloadable content so they can actually make money on this if they choose to do so, they don't own a movie company so the issue of film piracy is kind of null for them, the same as it is when people are watching pirated films on a Windows based PC. That is what really irks me, they have had 2 years to add support and still we are stuck with shitty WMV. :(

Yup... my comment doesn't change. I believe that this may be /be getting resolved now.

soze

I am a FH squatter

Knowing there luck they would start selling content and get sued for piracy. They are always sued and always lose ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom