Where to multiplayer?

N

Nightchill

Where to multiplay?

Are there any plans for a Barrysworld dedicated server? I'd like a server where I get a) a good ping and b) nice party members :) I've got a few low level characters on some Server Vaults already but a permanent (and potentially higher level) one would be nice.
*chants barrysworld, barrysworld*

X

Xtro

Aye count me in :) been on US servers since I bought it, need a good UK/mainland Euro server to call home.

B

bigfoot

We do want to do some servers but its reliant on the right kind of software, the only thing i have heard is Deathace grumbling so i'm not sure what the situation is really. I'll try to get one of the nerds umm server blokes to reply with more detail :).

L

Louster

Hrm.
A dedicated BW NWN would certainly be very cool, but how would it work? I mean, either it runs the campaign modules (not ideal at all for a dedicated server), the official Arena module (which doesn't seem all THAT amazing) or some custom module (which would take time either to create fresh or to test someone else's).

Seems like NWN servers are more suited to being bookable, really. Not that I'm against a dedicated server. Infact I'd love it. It's just the question of what module to use is kindof critical.

X

Xtro

Bookable NWN servers = great idea if possible.

N

Nightchill

The way it'd have to be run to be public and successful is for there to be 4 servers. Each server runs 1 Chapter but they share the same Server Vault. And each server has serious level restrictions.

Once you've finished 1 chapter you move on to the next server. I know a few servers that have done this and seems to be working a treat :)

L

Louster

Multiple servers can share the same server vault?

A

arcadian83

BW NWN = Great Idea...

I've played NWN multiplayer a bit and have drawn a few conclusions:
-Too many cheaters on local-vault servers who somehow think it's a feat to hack local characters
-Too many non-RPG'ers treating it like D2 and obsessively trying to level and horde items
-Too many generally newbie-ish people (although one would hope that would change with time)

Server-Vault servers I've found are nice in that they cut down greatly on all forms of general stupidity, but I've found that there are very few Server-Vault servers with the right idea going out there.

The "right idea" has already been excellently stated above, but to summarize:
-A group of dedicated servers each running a different Module (like the 4 chapters and prelude)
-Tight level restrictions appropriate for the module they are runng
-Of course the servers can and should share the same vault

...and really, that should fix just about everthing and provide a near-ideal playing experience. It just seems there has yet to be someone to do this.

I'm actually new to BarrysWorld, and actually just signed up in hopes of there being NWN community here, and see it has yet to evolve (as all other community around NWN). I've always enjoyed BW servers for other games like Tribes, Tribes2, and HL, and thought you all might be ahead of the game for NWN too. I guess I'm just trying to give a little *nudge nudge and whisper* "NWN is big and has great potential and would be an excellent place for BW to do it's badass thing"

L

Louster

The problem with the chapter thing is, as I see it, once you've played through it once, you already know the plot and most of the secrets. And whether or not the battle experience is any different due to the larger amount of human players, I don't think "unovering all these mysteries" that you already know the answers to will be much fun at all. It'll turn into absolute repetition, maybe made bearable by the addition of human company.
Also, I'm guessing each server will only really be able to cater to one group of people at a time, with any newcomers having to skip everything that the existing people have already completed.
And I'm guessing that each server will have to reset after that group has gotten to the end and left for the next chapter, since there'll be some things that just wouldn't make sense that'd be left behind.

And uh, the prelude doesn't really work at all in multiplayer.

N

Nightchill

I don't really feel that the Multiplayer experience has anything to do with Quests since, as you say, it's been done in Single Player. It all comes down to having fun with a group of friends.
Since you don't have to do any (at all) quests to go from one chapter to the next it's never a real problem.

As for having one group, keeping level restrictions tight and setting a max limit of 8 people, or even turning "Only one party" on should solve that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom