When gambling turns bad

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I've got a bit of a problem with a friend at work. Basically he's a nice guy, has a lot going for him, but he can't go a day without putting a bet on a horse or football match.

He's in 21K+ of debt, and can only afford to pay the interest off his credit cards each month. His wages are swallowed up by this and he has to live off his credit card and gamble to get any sort of cash flow.

On monday he used his last £300 on his credit card (basically all the cash he has access to in the world) on a racing tip from a group who run a line which apparently gives details of winners each day (in reality you end up losing more than winning). This bet is suppose to be a result of a fixed race on Saturday and the horse can't lose...

If this horse loses he is screwed. He can't get anymore credit cards nor any loans.

I've tried talking to him about his gambling, but he does not see he has a problem. I guess until he admits it there's nothing I can do?

Just wondering if anyones got any tips or tricks I can use to make him realise he needs to stop and get some help. Possibly go bankrupt for a start?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
In fairness only he can stop himself, like most addictions by the time he realises it he will be in so deep thats he gonna have alot of trouble getting out. You are just going to have to be there for him when his world comes crashing down.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Don't leave him in your house alone, or near your wallet at work.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
What was the horse and what was the race. I don't mind blowing a tenner on a possible sure thing ;)

Oh, and until someone admits they have a problem there ain't a whole lot you can do about it. In fact, sometimes telling someone they may have a problem makes them more determined not to admit that fact to themsleves.

Embattle

FH is my second home
A number of Banks have seen a considerable increase in there bad debts so they've started to get tougher on who they give credit cards too, they also intend to share more information on customers and their past history which will make getting credit cards harder for any one with even a slight blemish on their credit history.

As for going bankrupt it seems a easy way out, in reality it isn't and you can have you personal possessions sold to pay back those you owe.....more can be found out here.

As others have said though, there is sweet FA you can do about it while he doesn't seem to think he has an issue.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Getting off topic, but its that sort of thread ;)
Embattle said:
A number of Banks have seen a considerable increase in there bad debts so they've started to get tougher on who they give credit cards too
It comes in cycles.

Banks decide their credit card numbers are too low so they run advertising and give credit cards to anyone that walks in the door. 2 years later their bad debts are totally out of control, they tighten up on applications and you need a reference from $deity to get one.

Guess what happens a couple of years later? Back to the beginning with them having learnt absolutely nothing.

Utini

Can't get enough of FH
Imo its impossible to sort bar having some sort of control over him (a very large control it would need to be).
Advice as best you can, not saying its stupid, as thatll be ignored outright. Theres no easy answer bar stating his previous overall input/loss, and then recent input/loss, presuming both shite.
Barring that its one of those things as a friend theres nothing easy you can do. Im bad for gambling myself, nothing like this, and know any weak convincing eitherway, or strong, doesnt even scratch the surface.
Unless somehow(bloody hard / impossible) you can convince him its totally pointless, and the odds he sees a way to win on are quite the opposite, its not gonna happen. Id try to make him see the overall picture, but barring that, as just a friend, its pretty damn hard. Wish you luck though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom