What's fotm stand for? + other acronyms

J

jsiv

Well, I've seen it thrown around a lot on the forums and it seems to be synonymous with something like "cookie-cutter", yet I'm nowhere near sure, someone enlighten me.

Have any other acronyms I should know about? I'm tired of sitting around being pwned in l33tspeak and various abbreviations when I groupzor with experienced players.

M

MesS°

Fotm = Flavour of the month, allso see fotg/foty game/year
Rtfm = Read the f... manual
ibtl = I beat the lock / In before the lock

And lots LOTS more, this of the top of my head...

M

Madonion Slicer

leet = people who have never kissed a girl.

O

Oven

I got flamed when I made such a post :( Try searching for it, was something like dictionary or alike :D I'll see if I can find it..

P

pitspawn

I wouldnt mind knowing what QQ normally put at the end of sarcastic replies means?

O

Oven

Originally posted by froler-mid
<3 gunner440

loves gunner440
I'm being more and more convinced that this is a gay forum, not a daoc forum :p

N

NightyP

Originally posted by pitspawn
I wouldnt mind knowing what QQ normally put at the end of sarcastic replies means?
I asked this and apprently its a crying face

kinda like QQ noob = cry more noob or cry me a river, something like that

O

Oven

Originally posted by NightyP

lol that doesn't make sense :ROFLMAO:

N

NightyP

Nothing makes sense on the internet :(
I think 1337 talk was created because various ppl made spelling mistakes and then called it a new word ...

P

pitspawn

Yeah thats what i thought it meant. Good to be sure though ;)

M

MesS°

Originally posted by gunner440
gunz hopper ud af selerne foran mess

I got no comeback to that... :(

fast translation for the none danish gimps out there:
Gunz jumps out of his surspenders infront of mess

C

Craft

The Big One!

AC Usually stands for "armor class". In AD&D-type role-playing games (changed with v3.0) the armorclass gets better the less it is, vice versa in other games.

AF Abbreviation for "armor factor", see AC.

Add Used to describe any creature joining the fight when a group is otherwise engaged. Most groups dread adds, since more than a single target can be dangerous to healers and other important caster classes.

AFK Internet acronym for "away from keyboard", telling others that you're not around to answer their calls.

Aggro, Agg, Agro Abbreviation for "aggressive". When an enemy is close enough to someone that it starts to run towards him/her to engage in combat. (When you click on some beasts in the field, you might notice that they say "...and is aggressive towards you!" This means that the beast will attack you if you get too close. There is also a system involving aggressiveness in a group. The creature you're fighting has an unseen "aggro rating" for each member of your party. This aggro rating goes up when the creature is damaged by a character, or when a healer reverses damage dealt by the creature. The character with the highest aggro rating becomes the enemy creature's #1 target. There are maneuvers and spells that will affect a creature's aggro, check other guides for more info).

All your base are belong to us A sentence taken from the poorly translated intro of the video game 'Zero Wing' (Sega Genesis) and got standard MMORPG lingo. Go see this website for the full story, here's a snippet:

History of 'All Your Base'

Toaplan creates the Zero Wing video game.

Toaplan releases a port for the Sega Genesis console with the addition of an intro scene, which is then translated into english (very poorly) and released in the United States.

Toaplan goes out of business.

Someone from a Zany Video Game Quotes website notices the poor translation, and highlights the game.

Overclocked.org does a humorous voiceover of the Zero Wing intro in a fake Wayne Newton voice.

Dozens of game-related messageboards begin to post quotes from the parody, and images altered to show the phrase.

Most of the threads lose interest and die off quickly as the trend is pronounced dead countless times.

The Flash movie/video is released with images from the threads and music taken from the origional game someone had added the phrase "all your base" to.

AYB explosively expands to the general (non game messageboard-reading) public.

The origional site for the video is shut down within hours due to excessive traffic, and moves to PlanetStarsiege.

Lycos ponders how "All your Base" was transformed from obscurity to a top 50 search practically overnight.

Mainstream media begin to notice the trend, and stories appear in Time Magazine, USA Today, Fox News, The Los Angeles Times, Tech TV, Wired, and many others.

As the 'remix' used in the video goes from 58 hits a day to several thousand per day, mp3.com notices the track has been ripped directly from the video game and pulls the music off their site due to copyright violations. It is later returned unchanged.

The trend continues to grow as it expands into nearly every corner of the web.

Large websites like Angelfire and Hewlett Packard sneak "all your base" references into their designs.

"All Your Base" is pronounced dead several times every day, yet it's 15 minutes of fame continue for some reason

Assist Term used in a group situation where there is more than a single creature surrounding your group and it is uncertain as to which one your leader/puller/tank has targeted. The assist command(clicking on your tank/puller and typing: /assist) will automatically target the enemy that the desired team member is fighting. This can also be used if a healer or caster is unexpectedly attacked(click the healer/caster and type: /assist). Assisting someone who isn't in your group: DAoC automatically groups you(temporarily) to anyone else who is attacking the same target, thereby causing experience points to be shared. For this reason, it is advised that you ask if someone needs help before assisting. If you don't ask, some players see this as stealing.

ATM Internet acronym, means "at the moment".

BAF Describes enemies that "bring a friend" when being attacked, means very sociable enemies that will cause trouble and have cool drinks and party dips on your grave.

Bind, Bindstone Your bindpoint is where you return after death and use of /release. DAoC has what are called bindstones (tall rocks or pillar-like stones) in many of the major cities, where you can bind yourself at whim. Just walk up to one and type: /bind.

Bolt A popular and powerful spell in DAoC, characterized by a bolt of electric-like light. See also: DD.

BRB Internet acronym for "be right back" or "bathroom brake", means you're temporarily not available but will be back soon.

BRT Stands for "be right there"

BT Stands for Blade Turn a damage absorption spell for melee strikes. (thanks to Rahui The Necromancer)

Buff, Debuff Beneficial/offensive spells cast upon characters to enhance/decrease statistics.

Camp A place where a group stays together and has a puller go out and look for enemies to bring back. Usually, camps are set up in locations known to be relatively safe. Camping also refers to the act of repeatedly preying upon the same newly spawned creature(s). DAoC has incentives for wandering hunters, rewards include experience bonuses on creatures that have been alive for long periods of time.

Caster A type of character (mage, wizard, warlock) who uses magical spells for combat and other functions, but usually doesn't have any substantial healing ability.

Charm Charming means mind controlling animals, foes or NPCs making them fight on your side. See: Pet.

Class This is a general term, the category which describes a type of character. Examples of common classes: Warrior, Rogue, Caster, Healer

Crowd Control Term used mostly by those who possess mesmerize spells. When more than a single enemy has been "pulled" and all but one has been mez'd, allowing a group to concentrate on a single target without interference.

DAoC Commonly accepted acronym for Dark Age of Camelot, a online role-playing game you should know by now.

DD Acronym for "direct damage". This type of spell is fairly straightforward, it lowers a creatures hitpoints directly and immediately, as opposed to DOTs (damage-over-time) or debuffs (stat lowering). One type of DD in DAoC is accompanied by extended range and a visible "bolt" of light, from which it derives its name, and may more frequently be referred to as a bolt, rather than DD. DD's are also referred to as "nukes".

Dewd, Dood A derisive term, stemming from the phonetic typing style of the group it refers to. Dewds are considered by many to be disruptive players whose interest in the game does not extend beyond game mechanics and leveling. You might also see this written as "d00d" or "d3wd," as many of these casual gamers also commonly use numbers for the letters they resemble.

Ding Originating in other similar games, where a character gains a level and it is associated with a distinct "ding" sound. In DAoC, there is no such tone, having been replaced by a short musical interlude after leveling, but the usage of this term persists. Some role-players see it as disruptive, especially if done on open chat channels.

DoT Acronym for "damage over time". Any spell that takes damage in small increments, separated in at least 2 parts. This is common in poison and poison-like spells, but can be done in a variety of forms. They're usually low in damage but nice additions to your strike force.

Farming When a person or group stays in one place and repeatedly kills the same NPC, creature, or set of creatures for a specific item or items.

Freeloader Derisive nickname for people who go around randomly assisting other players who are not in their group, either by attacking their target or healing them as they fight. DAoC automatically groups you (temporarily) to anyone you assist, thereby causing experience points to be shared. For this reason, it is advised that you ask if someone needs help before assisting. If you don't ask, some players see this as stealing.

Haste Term used to describe a property of an item or weapon that grants faster speed of attack to the wielder. Some spells that endow characters with increased attack speed can also be referred to as haste spells.

Healer Any class possessing a substantial amount of healing spells.

Hybrids Characters with mixtures of magic/healing and combat skills.

IC The acronym for "in character", a label for chat that is from your character's perspective. It is another way of referring to role-playing, or the act of role-play. See also: OOC. It may also stand for "i see".

IMHO, IMO Internet acronyms, standing for "in my (humble) opinion".

INC Abbreviated, "Incoming". Used to alert the group when a puller is bringing a new target/enemy with him/her. Also used as a warning of impending danger.

IRL Not abbreviation for Ireland but "in real life". Used mostly in OOC conversations.

Kite, Kiting Describes the maneuver of hit and run guerilla-style fighting. You kite when you attack an enemy, retreat, heal and attack again so that the foe got no real chance of winning. Kiting is seen as cheating in some MMORPGs.

Lag Players love them. Lags are interruptions of the data stream (packet loss) causing minor to major playing problems. There are different kinds of lags like client and serverside lags.

Linkdead, Conloss Sometimes players unexpectedly lose connection to the game server. When this happens, the character remain a while in the game before disappearing. This is often called Linkdeath. If you notice someone become unresponsive, let the rest of the group know by saying "JoeSchmoe might be LD, give him time before we fight again." If JoeSchmoe isn't linkdead he'll let you know, but if he is, then it's better to stay in the area and keep the peace until he logs in again.

Leet, L33t Term that means "elite", players occasionally call themselves "leet" meaning they're uber, "absolutely great" in common language.

Loot, Lewt This refers to money, weapons, or other items found on a defeated enemy. In DAoC, the group loot function is, by default, random. When a group member left-clicks the loot bag or fallen foe, its loot is randomly given to any member in the immediate area. All coinage is split, as equally as is mathematically possible. Also, if you're not the person/group that felled the foe, you can't pick up the loot. In other words, loot etiquette is automatic.

Mage A mage is a magic wielding character, found as wizard, enchanter, sorceror, necro etc.

Melee This is a general term for combat or a type of combat, but is used in many games as a general category for any fighter that doesn't rely on magic.

Mez Describes the action of mesmerizing an enemy creature, used by those who possess this type of spell

MMORPG One of many common acronyms, meaning "massive muliplayer online role-playing game".

Mob This term derives from a programming acronym, standing for "moving object", also cited as the abbreviation of "mobile". The term is used most-often to describe the many enemy creatures that roam a given MMORPG's world. Many players use it interchangeably with monster, or to refer to any given enemy that is controlled by a game's programming.

MT 1.As defined by Skadad: hahahahaha mt=empty corpse.. wtf is up with that... mt=mistell or maintank etc... o_O (thanks to Skadad from the Catacombs forum for pointing this out)
2.Most players will probably see this used as an abbreviation or homophone for empty, as it was used in another popular MMORPG, when a creature had no loot on its corpse. It may also refer to empty mana/magic/power, etc.

Nerf Term used by players to describe game aspects that have been changed by the developers of the game. Most often, a nerf is a change for the worse (in the player's eyes), such as lowering an ability's effectiveness, or removing it all together, etc. While they may be necessary for such things as game balance, everyone hates them. Comes from the line of nerf products, which are famous for being soft and harmless.

Newbie, Noob Term meaning new player. Used when referring to someone who is new to the game or a particular aspect of the game.

NP Internet acronym, standing for "no problem". This is used frequently as a response to thank you, as opposed to saying "you're welcome".

NPC A computer-controlled or customer service rep inhabited "non-player character". This is usually used in association with merchants, trainers, or other friendly computer characters that sometimes assign quests or tasks. See also: PC.

Nuke, Nuking Describes most likely DD (direct damage) spells cast by characters with a taste for battle. To nuke means to hit and kill an enemy as strong and fast as possible.

OJ Slang term for monsters that con orange. (thanks to Scoutss)

OMG, OMFG Stands for the exclamation "oh my god", maybe even enhanced with a swear word.

OMW Abbreviation for "on my way", means i.e. you're on your way back to team up with your friends again after you died.

OOC Abbreviation for "out of character". Used when chatting from the player's perspective, as opposed to the character you role-play in the game. In other words, it is the actor behind the character, rather than the character itself who is speaking. See also: IC

OOE This acronym refers to being "out of endurance", and means that a character's endurance bar is empty or low. Endurance is vital to warrior, tank, and other melee classes that depend on endurance to fuel their special and most powerful maneuvers.

OOM, OOP Acronym originating from "out of mana", but can also mean "out of magic" in games that don't use the term "mana". This is used by those who possess spells or other things that use mana/magic/power to fuel their effects. In DAoC, the term mana is replaced by Power. So, you may see OOP instead.

OOR This acronym is sometimes employed in situations where a group member or friendly player is too far "out of range" to be helped by a healing, or otherwise beneficial, spell.

PBT Stands for Pulsing Blade Turn, it is a spell that Theurgs get (other classes get it in other realms) that recasts Blade Turn automatically. The higher the spec level, the faster it recasts. The lowest is 10 seconds, the fastest is 6 seconds, but two PBT's CAN be overlapped if they are timed correctly to effectively give a 3 secs PBT, or even lower if there are more than 2 Earth Specced Theurgists. (thanks to Hopwil)

Pet In MMORPGs a pet is a charmed, tamed or summoned being at your command, assisting you in combat. Spellcasters usually are able to summon pets while Hunters may tame wild animals.

PC No, not personal computer, but "player character". This refers to any character inhabited by a fellow player, whether friendly or not. See also: NPC.

PK, Peekay Acronym for "playerkiller". Term for players who - you might have guessed it - kill other players, sometimes much to their discontent. There are different types of PKs like grief PKs who kill for personal gain and PK who kill because they like to play an evil character or just love PvP.

Pop This is used to signal that an enemy has spawned within range of the party; used mostly as an alert or warning.

Pull, Puller, Pulling When a player refers to "pulling," it usually means that they are attracting an enemy to the group, and setting it up for an ambush. A member of the group who is designated as the "puller" is understood to be the sole provider of targets. It is advised to always have a single puller, otherwise the group may inadvertently upset multiple creatures and find themselves in a very dangerous situation.

PvP Means "player versus player", players challenging and killing each other. In some MMORPGs there are faction wars.

Proc Aanother term derived from a programming acronym, short for "to process" or "procedure". It refers to the special procedure that is tied to such an item, or the act of that procedure being processed.

Quest A goal or assignment given by NPCs, with multiple parts, followed by rewards upon completion. See also: Task.

Rares, Semirares Describes items spawning very rarely or just one time like on server birth. Some MMORPGs feature legions of rare hunters, dedicated to trading and getting as much rares as possible. Often sold on Ebay which isn't approved by most of the developers (like Verant Interactive and Mythic Entertainment). Semirares are not as rare as true "rares" but hard to find anyway.

Rez, Res Commonly used to describe the action of resurrecting someone. Resurrection spells limit or nullify death penalties. If you have a healer class in your group that is above level 10, they may be able to resurrect any fallen groupmates. Resurrection can only occur if you don't use the /release command(return to bind-point), so it's sometimes wise to wait a bit after you die. Remember, it is considered polite behavior to offer some repayment or donation for this service.

RL Another acronym, for "real life". Used mostly in OOC conversations.

Roamer Enemies that have a patrol route or are otherwise mobile and/or unpredictable. These often become "adds" or unexpected "aggros." They can also be referred to as: patrollers, wanderers, trekkers.

ROFL Internet acronym, means "rolling on the floor laughing".

Root, Snare A spell that holds the enemy in a fixed location, or slows it down, respectively.

Roxxor, Roxxorz Means that something or someone "rocks", is great.

RP Acronym for "role playing", means people playing "in character". In DAoC there are several RP servers where there is no chitchat about The Lakers but people playing the roles of their characters.

RPG Acronym. for "role playing game".

RvR Stand for "realm versus realm", a special way of PvP (player versus player) combat in DAoC where one can only battle members of another realms, most likely in large groups to turn battlefields red.

SL Stands for slow loader. (thanks to Lookat)

Spawn The act of appearing, a creature/item that has appeared, or a location where creatures/items are known to frequent. This most-likely derives from terms like: spawning ground or hellspawn.

Static mob The opposite of roamers, see above. These creatures stand guard, or simply remain still, until a character attacks or comes too close.

Stats Short for statistics. Your character's scores in various skill areas, such strength or dexterity. This can also refer to learned skills, maneuvers or spells.

Suxxor, Suxxorz Means that something "sucks", is bad.

Tank Warriors or other strong melee characters that will hold the enemy's attention and intercept most of the damage.

Task An assignment that is short and involves only one or two actions, but is rewarded by an NPC. See also: Quest.

Twink, Twinking This is when you load a brand new character with high level items, weapons, spells, etc. This is done by various means, and is usually seen as unethical, even when loading one character up with items from another character you played. This is, however, of little use in DAoC. Items which are too high for your level are less effective, and degrade quickly.

Twisting Twisting in Albion is usually done with a Paladin but is occasionally done with a Minstrel. Both a Paladin and a Minstrel have certain abilities or spells that 'pulse' or renew themselves every few seconds. With correct timing, more than one spell can be in use at the same time. With a Minstrel this is more difficult because of the necessity of switching instruments (a Minstrel twisting would generally be between his Power Regeneration song and his Run song). A Paladin can twist any combination of chants. The Health regen and Endurance Regen lines are the most common, but the Armor Chant and the Attack Buff Chant are used pretty often too. As a rule, chants do not 'stack' that is, if more than one person is using them, they will not have double or mroe the effect. However, the Paladin's Health Chant DOES stack, and two or more Paladin's twisting a Health Chant are a huge asset to any group. in fact, a full group of Paladin's (8 of them) with each of them highly speced in Chants could regenerate approx. 1920 HP every 6 or 7 seconds! (thanks to Hopwil)

Uber, Über Deriving from the Latin, uber: productive, fertile, abundant, rich (see german "über"). This term has found its way into daily gamer lingo, and is used interchangeably with "super" or "ultra." Some use it to mean big, high-end, or high level. Others use it with marked sarcasm to refer to players and guilds that use questionable tactics to reap their rewards. In-game encounters that are especially rare can often be referred to as uber. Guilds with large player bases and high success rates are also sometimes labeled uber-guild.

Warrior This usually refers to a pure melee or hand-to-hand combat specialist, and is often characterized by high hit-points, stamina, or constitution.

Woot Term used to describe a state of happiness that is greater-than-great.

D

Draylor

Originally posted by MesS°
fast translation for the none danish gimps out there:
Gunz jumps out of his surspenders infront of mess
Ah, so now its Gunnerr the self-confessed transvestite.

Not sure we really needed to know that ;)

M

MesS°

Re: The Big One!

Originally posted by Craft
AC Usually stands for "armor class". In AD&D-type role-playing games (changed with v3.0) the armorclass gets better the less it is, vice versa in other games.

Add Used to describe any creature joining the fight when a group is otherwise engaged. Most groups dread adds, since more than a single target can be dangerous to healers and other important caster classes.

AFK Internet acronym for "away from keyboard", telling others that you're not around to answer their calls.

Aggro, Agg, Agro Abbreviation for "aggressive". When an enemy is close enough to someone that it starts to run towards him/her to engage in combat. (When you click on some beasts in the field, you might notice that they say "...and is aggressive towards you!" This means that the beast will attack you if you get too close. There is also a system involving aggressiveness in a group. The creature you're fighting has an unseen "aggro rating" for each member of your party. This aggro rating goes up when the creature is damaged by a character, or when a healer reverses damage dealt by the creature. The character with the highest aggro rating becomes the enemy creature's #1 target. There are maneuvers and spells that will affect a creature's aggro, check other guides for more info).

All your base are belong to us A sentence taken from the poorly translated intro of the video game 'Zero Wing' (Sega Genesis) and got standard MMORPG lingo. Go see this website for the full story, here's a snippet:

Toaplan releases a port for the Sega Genesis console with the addition of an intro scene, which is then translated into english (very poorly) and released in the United States.

Someone from a Zany Video Game Quotes website notices the poor translation, and highlights the game.

Overclocked.org does a humorous voiceover of the Zero Wing intro in a fake Wayne Newton voice.

Dozens of game-related messageboards begin to post quotes from the parody, and images altered to show the phrase.

Most of the threads lose interest and die off quickly as the trend is pronounced dead countless times.

The Flash movie/video is released with images from the threads and music taken from the origional game someone had added the phrase "all your base" to.

The origional site for the video is shut down within hours due to excessive traffic, and moves to PlanetStarsiege.

Lycos ponders how "All your Base" was transformed from obscurity to a top 50 search practically overnight.

Mainstream media begin to notice the trend, and stories appear in Time Magazine, USA Today, Fox News, The Los Angeles Times, Tech TV, Wired, and many others.

As the 'remix' used in the video goes from 58 hits a day to several thousand per day, mp3.com notices the track has been ripped directly from the video game and pulls the music off their site due to copyright violations. It is later returned unchanged.

Large websites like Angelfire and Hewlett Packard sneak "all your base" references into their designs.

"All Your Base" is pronounced dead several times every day, yet it's 15 minutes of fame continue for some reason

Assist Term used in a group situation where there is more than a single creature surrounding your group and it is uncertain as to which one your leader/puller/tank has targeted. The assist command(clicking on your tank/puller and typing: /assist) will automatically target the enemy that the desired team member is fighting. This can also be used if a healer or caster is unexpectedly attacked(click the healer/caster and type: /assist). Assisting someone who isn't in your group: DAoC automatically groups you(temporarily) to anyone else who is attacking the same target, thereby causing experience points to be shared. For this reason, it is advised that you ask if someone needs help before assisting. If you don't ask, some players see this as stealing.

BAF Describes enemies that "bring a friend" when being attacked, means very sociable enemies that will cause trouble and have cool drinks and party dips on your grave.

Bind, Bindstone Your bindpoint is where you return after death and use of /release. DAoC has what are called bindstones (tall rocks or pillar-like stones) in many of the major cities, where you can bind yourself at whim. Just walk up to one and type: /bind.

Bolt A popular and powerful spell in DAoC, characterized by a bolt of electric-like light. See also: DD.

BRB Internet acronym for "be right back" or "bathroom brake", means you're temporarily not available but will be back soon.

BT Stands for Blade Turn a damage absorption spell for melee strikes. (thanks to Rahui The Necromancer)

Buff, Debuff Beneficial/offensive spells cast upon characters to enhance/decrease statistics.

Camp A place where a group stays together and has a puller go out and look for enemies to bring back. Usually, camps are set up in locations known to be relatively safe. Camping also refers to the act of repeatedly preying upon the same newly spawned creature(s). DAoC has incentives for wandering hunters, rewards include experience bonuses on creatures that have been alive for long periods of time.

Caster A type of character (mage, wizard, warlock) who uses magical spells for combat and other functions, but usually doesn't have any substantial healing ability.

Charm Charming means mind controlling animals, foes or NPCs making them fight on your side. See: Pet.

Class This is a general term, the category which describes a type of character. Examples of common classes: Warrior, Rogue, Caster, Healer

Crowd Control Term used mostly by those who possess mesmerize spells. When more than a single enemy has been "pulled" and all but one has been mez'd, allowing a group to concentrate on a single target without interference.

DAoC Commonly accepted acronym for Dark Age of Camelot, a online role-playing game you should know by now.

DD Acronym for "direct damage". This type of spell is fairly straightforward, it lowers a creatures hitpoints directly and immediately, as opposed to DOTs (damage-over-time) or debuffs (stat lowering). One type of DD in DAoC is accompanied by extended range and a visible "bolt" of light, from which it derives its name, and may more frequently be referred to as a bolt, rather than DD. DD's are also referred to as "nukes".

Dewd, Dood A derisive term, stemming from the phonetic typing style of the group it refers to. Dewds are considered by many to be disruptive players whose interest in the game does not extend beyond game mechanics and leveling. You might also see this written as "d00d" or "d3wd," as many of these casual gamers also commonly use numbers for the letters they resemble.

Ding Originating in other similar games, where a character gains a level and it is associated with a distinct "ding" sound. In DAoC, there is no such tone, having been replaced by a short musical interlude after leveling, but the usage of this term persists. Some role-players see it as disruptive, especially if done on open chat channels.

DoT Acronym for "damage over time". Any spell that takes damage in small increments, separated in at least 2 parts. This is common in poison and poison-like spells, but can be done in a variety of forms. They're usually low in damage but nice additions to your strike force.

Farming When a person or group stays in one place and repeatedly kills the same NPC, creature, or set of creatures for a specific item or items.

Freeloader Derisive nickname for people who go around randomly assisting other players who are not in their group, either by attacking their target or healing them as they fight. DAoC automatically groups you (temporarily) to anyone you assist, thereby causing experience points to be shared. For this reason, it is advised that you ask if someone needs help before assisting. If you don't ask, some players see this as stealing.

Haste Term used to describe a property of an item or weapon that grants faster speed of attack to the wielder. Some spells that endow characters with increased attack speed can also be referred to as haste spells.

IC The acronym for "in character", a label for chat that is from your character's perspective. It is another way of referring to role-playing, or the act of role-play. See also: OOC. It may also stand for "i see".

INC Abbreviated, "Incoming". Used to alert the group when a puller is bringing a new target/enemy with him/her. Also used as a warning of impending danger.

IRL Not abbreviation for Ireland but "in real life". Used mostly in OOC conversations.

Kite, Kiting Describes the maneuver of hit and run guerilla-style fighting. You kite when you attack an enemy, retreat, heal and attack again so that the foe got no real chance of winning. Kiting is seen as cheating in some MMORPGs.

Lag Players love them. Lags are interruptions of the data stream (packet loss) causing minor to major playing problems. There are different kinds of lags like client and serverside lags.

Linkdead, Conloss Sometimes players unexpectedly lose connection to the game server. When this happens, the character remain a while in the game before disappearing. This is often called Linkdeath. If you notice someone become unresponsive, let the rest of the group know by saying "JoeSchmoe might be LD, give him time before we fight again." If JoeSchmoe isn't linkdead he'll let you know, but if he is, then it's better to stay in the area and keep the peace until he logs in again.

Leet, L33t Term that means "elite", players occasionally call themselves "leet" meaning they're uber, "absolutely great" in common language.

Loot, Lewt This refers to money, weapons, or other items found on a defeated enemy. In DAoC, the group loot function is, by default, random. When a group member left-clicks the loot bag or fallen foe, its loot is randomly given to any member in the immediate area. All coinage is split, as equally as is mathematically possible. Also, if you're not the person/group that felled the foe, you can't pick up the loot. In other words, loot etiquette is automatic.

Mage A mage is a magic wielding character, found as wizard, enchanter, sorceror, necro etc.

Melee This is a general term for combat or a type of combat, but is used in many games as a general category for any fighter that doesn't rely on magic.

Mez Describes the action of mesmerizing an enemy creature, used by those who possess this type of spell

MMORPG One of many common acronyms, meaning "massive muliplayer online role-playing game".

Mob This term derives from a programming acronym, standing for "moving object", also cited as the abbreviation of "mobile". The term is used most-often to describe the many enemy creatures that roam a given MMORPG's world. Many players use it interchangeably with monster, or to refer to any given enemy that is controlled by a game's programming.

MT 1.As defined by Skadad: hahahahaha mt=empty corpse.. wtf is up with that... mt=mistell or maintank etc... o_O (thanks to Skadad from the Catacombs forum for pointing this out)
2.Most players will probably see this used as an abbreviation or homophone for empty, as it was used in another popular MMORPG, when a creature had no loot on its corpse. It may also refer to empty mana/magic/power, etc.

Nerf Term used by players to describe game aspects that have been changed by the developers of the game. Most often, a nerf is a change for the worse (in the player's eyes), such as lowering an ability's effectiveness, or removing it all together, etc. While they may be necessary for such things as game balance, everyone hates them. Comes from the line of nerf products, which are famous for being soft and harmless.

Newbie, Noob Term meaning new player. Used when referring to someone who is new to the game or a particular aspect of the game.

NP Internet acronym, standing for "no problem". This is used frequently as a response to thank you, as opposed to saying "you're welcome".

NPC A computer-controlled or customer service rep inhabited "non-player character". This is usually used in association with merchants, trainers, or other friendly computer characters that sometimes assign quests or tasks. See also: PC.

Nuke, Nuking Describes most likely DD (direct damage) spells cast by characters with a taste for battle. To nuke means to hit and kill an enemy as strong and fast as possible.

OMG, OMFG Stands for the exclamation "oh my god", maybe even enhanced with a swear word.

OMW Abbreviation for "on my way", means i.e. you're on your way back to team up with your friends again after you died.

OOC Abbreviation for "out of character". Used when chatting from the player's perspective, as opposed to the character you role-play in the game. In other words, it is the actor behind the character, rather than the character itself who is speaking. See also: IC

OOE This acronym refers to being "out of endurance", and means that a character's endurance bar is empty or low. Endurance is vital to warrior, tank, and other melee classes that depend on endurance to fuel their special and most powerful maneuvers.

OOM, OOP Acronym originating from "out of mana", but can also mean "out of magic" in games that don't use the term "mana". This is used by those who possess spells or other things that use mana/magic/power to fuel their effects. In DAoC, the term mana is replaced by Power. So, you may see OOP instead.

OOR This acronym is sometimes employed in situations where a group member or friendly player is too far "out of range" to be helped by a healing, or otherwise beneficial, spell.

PBT Stands for Pulsing Blade Turn, it is a spell that Theurgs get (other classes get it in other realms) that recasts Blade Turn automatically. The higher the spec level, the faster it recasts. The lowest is 10 seconds, the fastest is 6 seconds, but two PBT's CAN be overlapped if they are timed correctly to effectively give a 3 secs PBT, or even lower if there are more than 2 Earth Specced Theurgists. (thanks to Hopwil)

Pet In MMORPGs a pet is a charmed, tamed or summoned being at your command, assisting you in combat. Spellcasters usually are able to summon pets while Hunters may tame wild animals.

PC No, not personal computer, but "player character". This refers to any character inhabited by a fellow player, whether friendly or not. See also: NPC.

PK, Peekay Acronym for "playerkiller". Term for players who - you might have guessed it - kill other players, sometimes much to their discontent. There are different types of PKs like grief PKs who kill for personal gain and PK who kill because they like to play an evil character or just love PvP.

Pop This is used to signal that an enemy has spawned within range of the party; used mostly as an alert or warning.

Pull, Puller, Pulling When a player refers to "pulling," it usually means that they are attracting an enemy to the group, and setting it up for an ambush. A member of the group who is designated as the "puller" is understood to be the sole provider of targets. It is advised to always have a single puller, otherwise the group may inadvertently upset multiple creatures and find themselves in a very dangerous situation.

PvP Means "player versus player", players challenging and killing each other. In some MMORPGs there are faction wars.

Proc Aanother term derived from a programming acronym, short for "to process" or "procedure". It refers to the special procedure that is tied to such an item, or the act of that procedure being processed.

Quest A goal or assignment given by NPCs, with multiple parts, followed by rewards upon completion. See also: Task.

Rares, Semirares Describes items spawning very rarely or just one time like on server birth. Some MMORPGs feature legions of rare hunters, dedicated to trading and getting as much rares as possible. Often sold on Ebay which isn't approved by most of the developers (like Verant Interactive and Mythic Entertainment). Semirares are not as rare as true "rares" but hard to find anyway.

Rez, Res Commonly used to describe the action of resurrecting someone. Resurrection spells limit or nullify death penalties. If you have a healer class in your group that is above level 10, they may be able to resurrect any fallen groupmates. Resurrection can only occur if you don't use the /release command(return to bind-point), so it's sometimes wise to wait a bit after you die. Remember, it is considered polite behavior to offer some repayment or donation for this service.

Roamer Enemies that have a patrol route or are otherwise mobile and/or unpredictable. These often become "adds" or unexpected "aggros." They can also be referred to as: patrollers, wanderers, trekkers.

Root, Snare A spell that holds the enemy in a fixed location, or slows it down, respectively.

RP Acronym for "role playing", means people playing "in character". In DAoC there are several RP servers where there is no chitchat about The Lakers but people playing the roles of their characters.

RvR Stand for "realm versus realm", a special way of PvP (player versus player) combat in DAoC where one can only battle members of another realms, most likely in large groups to turn battlefields red.

Spawn The act of appearing, a creature/item that has appeared, or a location where creatures/items are known to frequent. This most-likely derives from terms like: spawning ground or hellspawn.

Static mob The opposite of roamers, see above. These creatures stand guard, or simply remain still, until a character attacks or comes too close.

Stats Short for statistics. Your character's scores in various skill areas, such strength or dexterity. This can also refer to learned skills, maneuvers or spells.

Tank Warriors or other strong melee characters that will hold the enemy's attention and intercept most of the damage.

Task An assignment that is short and involves only one or two actions, but is rewarded by an NPC. See also: Quest.

Twink, Twinking This is when you load a brand new character with high level items, weapons, spells, etc. This is done by various means, and is usually seen as unethical, even when loading one character up with items from another character you played. This is, however, of little use in DAoC. Items which are too high for your level are less effective, and degrade quickly.

Twisting Twisting in Albion is usually done with a Paladin but is occasionally done with a Minstrel. Both a Paladin and a Minstrel have certain abilities or spells that 'pulse' or renew themselves every few seconds. With correct timing, more than one spell can be in use at the same time. With a Minstrel this is more difficult because of the necessity of switching instruments (a Minstrel twisting would generally be between his Power Regeneration song and his Run song). A Paladin can twist any combination of chants. The Health regen and Endurance Regen lines are the most common, but the Armor Chant and the Attack Buff Chant are used pretty often too. As a rule, chants do not 'stack' that is, if more than one person is using them, they will not have double or mroe the effect. However, the Paladin's Health Chant DOES stack, and two or more Paladin's twisting a Health Chant are a huge asset to any group. in fact, a full group of Paladin's (8 of them) with each of them highly speced in Chants could regenerate approx. 1920 HP every 6 or 7 seconds! (thanks to Hopwil)

Uber, Über Deriving from the Latin, uber: productive, fertile, abundant, rich (see german "über"). This term has found its way into daily gamer lingo, and is used interchangeably with "super" or "ultra." Some use it to mean big, high-end, or high level. Others use it with marked sarcasm to refer to players and guilds that use questionable tactics to reap their rewards. In-game encounters that are especially rare can often be referred to as uber. Guilds with large player bases and high success rates are also sometimes labeled uber-guild.

Warrior This usually refers to a pure melee or hand-to-hand combat specialist, and is often characterized by high hit-points, stamina, or constitution.

Still think my list was better...

C

Craft

LOL @ MesS°

The glori of ctrl+c / ctrl+v eh? :)

if you guys want daoc information i find www . google . com a good source of information!

ie search for daoc slang etc.

I

Imon

holy heck someone must actually have typed that list.......

can i have some of your time pls

O

old.shotgunstow

So many missed off that list, like wtfpwned, omfgusux, etc

O

old.m0000

Originally posted by jsiv
Well, I've seen it thrown around a lot on the forums and it seems to be synonymous with something like "cookie-cutter", yet I'm nowhere near sure, someone enlighten me.

Have any other acronyms I should know about? I'm tired of sitting around being pwned in l33tspeak and various abbreviations when I groupzor with experienced players.

foad

:)

G

Gregstah

HAHA u silly bastard :)

Cry me a river plz!

go pwn odin's, get rr10

A

adari

Re: The Big One!

Originally posted by Craft

I just had to quote that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom