whats does a minstrall do in a group?

S

saltymcpepper

im going to be starting a minstrall for pvp and was wondering when exping do minstrall just stick power song on and go watch a movie? if we have to ure instruments then that means no melee. do you just dd the mob or use stun or what?
what race would you recomonend? i was thinking starting a highlander with 10 str con and quick.
also should i go slash or thrust?

S

sorusi

Minstrels Play powersong, Mezz, Stun, DD, and sometimes tank (if for some reason they have to).

I'd go Highlander 10con,str,cha - slash

T

Tranquil-

Minstrel's do what Sorusi said, what Minstrall's do I have no clue. ;)

B

Belomar

It depends...

Already a fair number of replies here, but I still think I need to stick up to my minstrel brethren. :) See, while there certainly exists a number of "afk-minstrels" who just turn on powersong, /stick and then go afk, this is NOT the way to play the class and gives all of us a bad name (I am sure most theurgists feel the same about the members of their class that just run pbt and then go afk).

My role in a group depends on what the group is doing:

a) The group is killing social monsters which BAF (this is what you should be doing anyway to get that nice group bonus): The minstrel mezzes, DDs and plays powersong. If there is a sorcerer in the group, the minstrel may be the backup mezzer, but this is still a large responsibility. In fact, in many cases, a good minstrel can be the primary mezzer instead of the sorcerer, since minstrels can handle a fair amount of resists more than a sorcerer (in my opinion). For instance, minstrels are better-suited to trees than sorcerers, while sorcerers are of course necessary for tanglers.

b) The group is killing non-social monsters and mana isn't an issue (or there is a second minstrel in the group): The minstrel tanks, acting as secondary tank (if there are two minstrels, the one with the highest slash/thrust spec tanks and the other plays powersong). Here, of course, the DDs will come in nicely.

c) The group is killing non-social monsters and mana regeneration is needed: The minstrel mezzes, DDs and stuns. Since the minstrel cannot actively participate in the fight, it is up to him to make himself useful in other ways. One way is to take the responsibility of keeping a lookout for wandering monsters that might aggro the group, another way (my favorite) is to keep the spirits of the group high by chatting, praising, and jesting (this is where I tend to start spouting epic stories). Also, be ready to bail the group out if an emergency occurs; a stun followed by a mezz and then speedsong can save the day, or a well-placed charm on a nearby creature to aid your failing tanks or save your rezzer will earn you a reputation as being a very non-afk minstrel.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom