whats better

Ezteq

Queen of OT
a 2.5 hour hike (approx 8 miles) or a 30 "run" on the cross trainer (approx 6 miles)

i mean whats the best form of exercizzle?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
a 2.5 hour hike (approx 8 miles) or a 30 "run" on the cross trainer (approx 6 miles)

i mean whats the best form of exercizzle?

I'll just jump on you...err...this! before Chronic comes in with all the technicl stuff and how you should eat a carrot and stuff half of it inside a gerbil for the 0.0001% increase :D

If you want to upgrade long term power, hike. If short term, run.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
aye thats what i suspected, and tbh on a day as beautiful as this im buggered if im going to waste it by sweating away indoors, it was a lovely morning and it totally warranted the wearing of one of my top class hawiian shirts imo.

Mey

Part of the furniture
I imagine the run will get your heart-rate up quicker and for longer than the walk, though the walk will probably be more fun and enjoyable.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Best form of exersize for you would be to make me a grilled cheese sandwich, and joy all the way upto Oldham and deliver it. Course, that's bit of a long run, so i'd have to say the 8 mile hike. Endurance training is always a better option.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
so i'd have to say the 8 mile hike.

They call you the Binky,
but i call you the blinky,
'cause that's what you'll be doing when i drop my stinky!
You think you're a runner,
just a 100 meter gunner,
and when you see me hiking it's really a bummer!

8 mile hike yo!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
bit Ot here but thats what the thread is for...

Toht did you not LOL @ Dr Who this week the bit with the gas mask and Dr Who says "Are you my mummy?" i almost did a nose propelled coke squirt.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
bit Ot here but thats what the thread is for...

Toht did you not LOL @ Dr Who this week the bit with the gas mask and Dr Who says "Are you my mummy?" i almost did a nose propelled coke squirt.

Most definetaly :D

But keep it in it's own thread, it's down there :D

- English -

Resident Freddy
i guess the walking is better for calorie loss and the running isbetter for CV fitness, up2 u which you want :)

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Longer hike (rough terrain that will atleast get your heart rate up to 60-65% of your max) will be better for you. I know you are in much better shape than you were. But i can't imagine you being up for really hardcore cardio. And prefer a more tolerable workout.
A high intensity workout for you would probably be around 80-85% your max heart rate.
With those heart rates the sweet spot will be around 45 mins, for you to burn the same amount of cal as a 30 mins higher intensity workout. Which is effort vs reward wize aimed more at improving cardio capability.
(I could be completely wrong what your case is concerned :p Givf numbers on; times, distance and/or watt output, and avarage heartrate when you are on the x-trainer. And if possible your maximum heart rate) would make it easier :p

For me it wouldn't pay, as i can easily knockout 500 cal in 30 mins. A walk simply wont do it for me. Unless i was hiking up a mountain. I reckon that would probably eat away at the reserves :ninja:

Chronictank

FH is my second home
go for a hike woman, you get to see pretty things :D
Alernatively stuff half a carrot inside a gerbil, then see if you can catch it as it runs away in a panic.. although this method only works if you video it and post it on FH

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Just have sex after drinking 8 red bulls. The energy burn will be immense!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
which one is better depends on the amount of calories you used.
they could well be the same if the intensity of 30 min x trainer equals the intensity of an 8 mile walk.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
aye thats what i suspected (and tbh when its such a nice day walking is more a pleasure than exercise), Blackies right on the thing that i dont do a massive "omfg im gonna puke" work out but i do push it, i havent a clue about the wat output as i tend to have it on the calorific burn setting which is usually between 300-450 500 if i go for 40 mins, its generally 100 cals per 10 mins...don't know if thats defined as "good" but i think its not bad going tbh.

heart rate kind of fluctuates from between 140-80 depending on the setting of me x-trainer if its high resistance then i go slow and steady but if its on running mode which for me is around level 4-6 but anything at level 10 is a determined plod lol.

I just thought i'd chuck the question out there because while i was walking this morning i could definately feel my muscles working but i didnt get out of breath or anything so was wondering of a longer slower session at a good steady pace was as benificial as a 30 minute session where i belt it out.

seeing as i walk to and from work some days i just do a McWorkout™ which is like a 20min sprint just to get the blood going, are these actually any good seeing as i have already had 2 30min fast paced walks that day anyway? I mean it can't hurt to do them i guess and i usually do my weights and floor exercises after too, its just fitting it all in when im already a bit knackered i feel its better to do some shorter work out than none at all and just rely on the walking.

i thank you my FH gurus

*goes to insert a carrot in a gerbil*

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Ez hun, according to a few articles I have read then the high intensity workout is also great afterwards - since it should keep your body going for longer afterwards than the slowpaced long workout. So tbh I think you should just chose whatever you feel like... then you might even smile and that way burn even more calories ;-)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
well i went for a 20min "run" and did the weights etc last night also as i was still feeling good and full of beans, i survived the hike and the run but when i was brushing my teeth this morning to get rdy for work i did something to my neck and so took chodax's advice and slapped a heat pad on and dosed myself up with paracetamol rofl how lame am i!

ooooh noooo teh toothbrush defeated meh!!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
no.

i cant run at all, i can psudi run on my cross trainer but actual running just leaves me ashamed and feeling sickand any unfortunate spectators embarassed and unsure where to look.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
no.

i cant run at all, i can psudi run on my cross trainer but actual running just leaves me ashamed and feeling sickand any unfortunate spectators embarassed and unsure where to look.

Don't worry, it's a general defect in many women. Like throwing.... Some can do it. But the vast majority makes it look like a cripple having an epileptic seizure

Ezteq

Queen of OT
i just look like a rather tipsy gay duck...

wearing tight shoes.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
It depends what ur after, you can enjoy burning calories via walking but it takes time. Mind I think once u start adding hills it can mount up quite quickly - iirc every 1000ft elevation burns something like 400 cals on top of the distance covered. Will get u out of breath very quick also.

Started backpacking and multiday hiking as a hobby last yr and what u can eat and drink without putting on weight while lugging a pack about all day is sick.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
you ever get neck/upper back troubles if your pack wasn't adjusted properly or too heavy?

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
It never bothered me, carrying between 12-20kg, but maybe I was just lucky with the pack I started with. First thing to go always seems to be the feet, after that shoulders start to ache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom