Whatever happened to.....

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
When i was growing up in the mid to late nineties, there seemed to be a spate of bands on the back of the Oasis/Blur generation that had some decent songs but seemed to vanish off the face of the planet?

So, whatever happened to:

Elastica (trigger happy TV theme)
Ultrasound (big fat guy for a singer, had a great song called 'Stay Young')
Lush
Reef
Kula Shaker (think maybe the lead bloke has a different band now)
The Gyres (scottish oasis-ish band, had a few singles, played T in the Park in 1997 I think)
Rialto
Northern Uproar
Boo Radleys
Shed 7

Edit: oooh, and 'Stiltskin' - they did the Nirvana-ish sounding music for the Levis 501 advert where the guy comes out the river and the girls think they'll get to see his p33n?

I'm sure theres more, but they had semi-famous status with maybe a good album but just didn't produce anything else?

G

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I liked the band around that time with the pixie-like woman on vocals. Cant remember thier name though :(
Like a lot of things, they had thier time and fashion (Britpop I suppose to give it its media-driven label) then dissapeared back into obscurity/brought out a dance record :)

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
in few years you'll be askin what happened to darkness n bands like that. fotm bands never last very long

Afx

Fledgling Freddie
I liked the band around that time with the pixie-like woman on vocals. Cant remember thier name though
Echobelly? :)

old.user4556

OH aye, Louise from Echobelly!

What about Republica....

G

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Elastica split up after the release of their second album towards the end of 2001, Justine went off and formed a group called M.I.A with a friend. 3 members of the band are in Hi-Fi and one of the others is in Klang.

Ultrasound released a single album, no idea what they are up to now, they really dropped off the radar from being NME darlings. Lead singer was called Tiny.

In 1996 Lush's drummer, Chris something, commited suicide pretty much ending the band.

Depressingly Reef seem to still be going and even have a new album; http://www.reef.co.uk/reef/intro.php?i=4

I think Kula Shaka split after the whole NME/Nazi debacle. I saw Crispian on TV a few months ago but I have no idea what he's doing now.

No idea what the others are up to.

echo

Fledgling Freddie
Incidentally Donna Matthews (ex- of Elastica, now Klang) is REALLY REALLY attractive, and I'm going to go and see Klang sooner or later so I'll report back with the good news on how she's still a rocknroll goddess. Or something similar.

Ta for telling me where Justine is now, I did wonder.

Can you tell I used to love Elastica? :D

mank!

Part of the furniture
The bloke from Ultrasound was on Buzzcocks this week in the identity parade.

Crispian Mills of Kula Shaker has a new band.

No idea about the rest!

old.user4556

So how do these people make a living now? None of them were particularly 'big'.

G

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Pfffft! You missed cast! They were top. :D

Also I was told that stilskin were formed for that one song and tried to 'make it big' but their follow-up single flopped.

Also Shed 7 were dropped from their label a year or two ago and are trying to get back. They're still giging any way. I think.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Stiltskin were definitely assembled after Levi realised they could make some money off the song. Kinda like an early Busted I guess.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
IIRC Republica made a lot of money from the NHL when it chose 'ready to go' as the theme for the league a few years back.

I miss kenickie, punka is one of my favourite songs.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
CrashTestDummies!!

Radiohead:)p Mank)

Nirvana.........oh wait I know where they went.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Crispian Mills is now in a band called The Jeevas, who are shit.

You know a band is shit when they can't even make it through the NME ranks. They were mentioned a little, early last year but dissapeared quickly because everyone still remembers how SHIT Kula Shaker were, plus none of them look like The Strokes or are their own brothers dad or anything.

The Boo Radleys are the best band in that list, Kenickie a close second. They differ greatly from the rest of the bands you mentioned, because they made at least ONE very good record.

The Boo Radleys had several good records, not just wake up boo.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Kenickie were great; I was at their last gig at the Astoria just before they announced on Steve Lamacq that they were splitting up. Pete was on top form, offering various audience members bottles of gin. I've still got my photos from that night somewhere.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
God... a few of those names brought back vague memories. Here are a few more I can just about remember:

Silver Sun
Menswear
The Flaming Stars
The Seahorses
Gene
The Supernaturals
Teenage Fanclub
Audioweb

Actually, I might just go and look up the Shine series...

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Doh_boy said:
Also Shed 7 were dropped from their label a year or two ago and are trying to get back. They're still giging any way. I think.

Shed 7 are now defunct. They played a few gigs at the end of last year as a farewell tour and split up on the last night (this was broadcast to fans a few months before so the last gig on the night they split was a bit of a stormer).

Not my fave band but a few decent tunes.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I saw Silver Sun and The Supernaturals down at my local haunt a few years back. I also saw one of my (then) favourite bands, Senser.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Here are a few more for you to ponder over:

Thousand Yard Stare
Chapterhouse
Slowdive
The Catherine Wheel
Pond
Therapy?
Daisy Chainsaw
Credit To The Nation
The Breeders
808 State

Bloody hell, those first ones read like a 'who's who' of shoegazing :)

Did someone mention Menswear? Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaa ;)

mank!

Part of the furniture
Therapy? are still rocking. Theywere dropped from A&M rather un-ceremoniously a few years back and have released a few albums since, they released one last last year but I haven't got round to buying it yet. They've also released a DVD of live performances and videos. They're still about with another new drummer :)

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Gurnox said:
Here are a few more for you to ponder over:
The Breeders

Last album the did was last year iirc. Title TK its called and its fantastic, not quite as good as Pod but definately on par with Last Splash

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Doomy said:
Last album the did was last year iirc. Title TK its called and its fantastic, not quite as good as Pod but definately on par with Last Splash

Well there you go. I'll have to check it out. Mmmmmmm..... Kim Deal.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Scooba da Bass said:
Who is of course touring this year with the rest of the original Pixies lineup.

Care to point me at the details? i been let down badly so many times with this nasty rumour circulating a fair few times. Actually seeing my favourite all time band ever (TM) playing live will shit on the 3 frank black gigs i been to.

Please. Do it quickly too. Last thing i heard about kim deal was the fact the Steve Albini was boning her. Bastard.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Gurnox said:
808 State

AFAIK, Graham Massey from 808 State does a lot of production work for various people, such as Bjork.

old.user4556

Hurricane No 1

Another that sprang to my mind. I think the guitarist (Gem Archer?) is now in Oasis.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom