What! You can't call your child that!

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Out-dated laws, and i'm not so sure about denmark, but i know Icelandic people take it very very seriously. I know about 20 icelandic people pretty well and theres about 5 different names between them.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm not sure how the Danes or Ze Germans can maintain that kind of rule, being in the EU etc. but the Icelanders can do what they like. Personally I think its a bit ridiculous but its their country.

*edit* looks like the German method is a lot more flexible, its just that the registrar has the power of veto; there isn't a specific list.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Gonna call my child Unladen Warrior of Hope and Fury

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Icelanders are very strict on names.

I'm going to call all my kids "Mummy tried to swallow me but Daddy's a sneaky cunt and made sure I got spooged in to the good place"

Gwadien

Icelanders are very strict on names.

I'm going to call all my kids "Mummy tried to swallow me but Daddy's a sneaky cunt and made sure I got spooged in to the good place, then the Government decided to allow gay couples to adopt and give their kids silly names"

fixed

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bullcrap laws really. Doesn't matter if the hunam is named Bweryang or Bob, it's what they do.

Only person who should object is the person given the name and in most reasonable countries they can change it.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Lula does the Hula in Talula from Hawaii is a bit of a silly name though :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I think one reason why its a bigger deal in Iceland than elsewhere is the impact the name has on your children's surname. Your first name becomes your son or daughter's surname prefix (if you're a man, don't think it applies to women?) with "son" or "dottir" on the end. So if you were Moon Unit, your daughter's surname would be MoonUnitsdottir. You can kind of see how things could get out of hand if the names got too random.

Still think its silly though.

rynnor

Rockhound
Its the sort of thing dying cultures do in the face of oblivion tbh - they realise that their language is under threat so they hope restrictive rules will preserve it - they wont really though in the long term.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I think one reason why its a bigger deal in Iceland than elsewhere is the impact the name has on your children's surname. Your first name becomes your son or daughter's surname prefix (if you're a man, don't think it applies to women?) with "son" or "dottir" on the end. So if you were Moon Unit, your daughter's surname would be MoonUnitsdottir. You can kind of see how things could get out of hand if the names got too random.

Still think its silly though.

The kids can choose what surname they want to take.

Kryten

Old Cow.
It's half daft, and half - hang on, that's not a bad idea.

It'd at least stop some of the fucking muppets we have here giving some of the most batshit names possible to their kids. They could at least just lighten them up. "Blaer" - fine. "Spoogy McFuckFlap Mingebottom Smithe" - sorry, we don't think this is an appropriate name for your firstborn. Please use something sensible like "Mike" instead.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
How would you feel about a family member / friend named their baby Adolf or Osama ? -
after all it's a free world right ?

Gwadien

How would you feel about a family member / friend named their baby Adolf or Osama ? -
Yes, you're right, but you don't have competent parents in the first place if they call their child that in the first place, so social services will get involved anyway.

gohan

FH is my second home
Adolf needs to come back into existance imo :p there will still be millions of osamas dotted about the world but I don't think many aldofs are kicking about

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It'd be a brave family who called their daughter Myra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom