What would you like to see in a RPG?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Was thinking about this today after the fail that is the wardens keep DLC settled down, what i would like to see in a RPG.

so here's what i'd like to have for the moment.

party system ala dragon age or NWN.

massive open world like in Two Worlds.

the ability to build (or conquer) my own castle, hire troops and generals that actually arent just numbers on a spreadsheet :)

the gererals are there to handle the day to day boring stuff so i dont have to go there and deal with a soldier that doesent wanna do latrine duty >.<

take all those troops and wage war on someone, with the forward outposts and proper sieges to come with it.

loads and loads of quests, randomly generated if needs be aslong as its not the same NPC asking the exact same thing over and over.

open endgame obviously with new factions rising to power to ally with or declare war on.

hard enough AI so it means i can actually lose land so i dont end up owning all of it after a few days play no matter the game dificulty :)

really really big sieges (not like in Mount and blade that only focus on a tiny part of it).

thats all i've thought of so far.

so what would you like to have in your "perfect" RPG?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
A passable story, a fun battle system that requires some strategy, and an amazing soundtrack.

I'm not too fussy :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Hugely open with no linear plot - no terrible disaster about to engulf existence or strange prophecy about to come true - not your usual hackneyed roleplaying stereotypes basically :p

Just a truly vibrant, believable world - its years away tbh if we ever get there but thats what I'd love to see...

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I like some of your ideas, here is the basis of a system which I would like to see:

A faction based pseudo-political system.
Factions (including guilds) gain "status" with other NPCs via actions of their members. Key political figures (including players) can become targets for "assassination" - success means a decrease in status. High status is risky but gives access to higher functions. Low status means the faction can effectively hide from public knowledge in unmarked buildings etc, so perhaps a balance can be found, but remember, if you are too successful people will cotton on and your members will gain certain prestige whether they want it or not.

In conclusion: For some, being high status will be just what they want, whereas others will prefer to be unknown, but they won't have all the facilities that high status folks will.

If a faction is toppled and completely destroyed, it might begin again some time later by an NPC at the table in the corner of an inn and grow from there as others weaken.

I would like this system to incorporate quests to deliver messages and generally raise the profile of the factions and yourself as a member or ally of that faction. Being a member doesn't exclude you from betraying your faction and such actions should give you quite a boost to the favour of other factions but also reduce their willingness to trust you, unless you somehow revealed that you intended to betray them from the beginning, perhaps (depends on the AI "personality" of the faction leaders).

As you can see, there's lots to think about here and many many many hurdles to er... hurdle. Ultimately the idea is to kind of write a story using the mechanics of the game rather than just scripted stuff.

Also:

As you become known, the NPCs react to you differently. If you did someone a favour then they will know you next time they see you. Things like this rather than the current "Oh thanks for saving my arse, here's some gold and exp." ... "Who are you?", nonsense would be preferable.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Hugely open with no linear plot - no terrible disaster about to engulf existence or strange prophecy about to come true - not your usual hackneyed roleplaying stereotypes basically :p

Just a truly vibrant, believable world - its years away tbh if we ever get there but thats what I'd love to see...

i dont mine a "terrible disaster" as long as the game doesent end when/if i fix shit.

the game can well start off with that to give it a proper get go, but once those vampire frogs are beaten the game starts off for real with conquering stuff.

i'm also fine with a political system but it probably shouldn't be to complex as that makes it to niche to be truly successful.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
A political system similar to the houses in Morrowind was pretty good, maybe have it a bit more developed and actually have people recognise who you are if you do great/evil deeds. A place with a house or castle etc to store stuff.

Having an optional party system, sometimes you just want to do things by yourself. Though having a pet aka Fable 2 would be cool.

The Choice to have a family but you will need a quest to gain immorality otherwise the game would end when you die of old age (or is that a good thing and you take over as your child)

I would love a RPG that has a food/water system so if you go off into the wilds or across the desert you have to think about carrying enough supplies with you and maybe hire a donkey or horse drawn wagon.

Would have to be a huge open world with a sea to travel in and diff landscapes aka Two Worlds. Also have random generated quests by NPC's so you never run out of things to do.

I wouldn't mind if it was Mass Effect esque with diff planets and you landed on them Battlecrusier 300AD style.

Have to have a Levitation or flying spell.

I think most of that is doable with current tech, just need the money and people to make it.

Prolly think of a thousand more things but I will stop for now

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I like tightly scripted RPGs which still give you choice aka Baldurs Gate 2

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
PvP that wasn't easy, WAR and WOW are too damn boring. I'm not saying I was/am great at PvP, I just like to be on the edge of my seat in each fight and know I either have a fighting chance or can at least piss the other guy off for a while.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I like tightly scripted RPGs which still give you choice aka Baldurs Gate 2

yeah but you were still forced to save the universe. the game didnt care if you were good or evil...

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
PvP that wasn't easy, WAR and WOW are too damn boring. I'm not saying I was/am great at PvP, I just like to be on the edge of my seat in each fight and know I either have a fighting chance or can at least piss the other guy off for a while.

See, that WAS my experience in WoW, so I can't complain.

Holy priest was a lot of fun, he lived for ages, he could kill people if they stuck around for long enough but usually he just did heal support especially in small teams or duos.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
yeah but you were still forced to save the universe. the game didnt care if you were good or evil...

IIRC you were just trying to save yourself and you could save or fuck over anyone else you met at any point.

Thats what I like though, a purpose and story driver.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
but a RPG with MMO component would just make it a World of Warcraft or EQ2, DAoC etc etc etc :)

in other words a MMORPG.

and theres enough of those already :)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I'm easy to please, D&D style with a real GM option so you can have 10 players and one player-GM controlling the scenario, keeping it fresh.

Would need top-notch map editors and quest editors as well.

Pertan

Can't get enough of FH
I would like to see an RPG that cans the idea that characters have to gain levels, also i would like to see some more realistic melee combat with higher consequences of being hit, like, you should actually die if someone sticks a sharp object into your chest, not take 20 damage.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I would like to see an RPG that cans the idea that characters have to gain levels, also i would like to see some more realistic melee combat with higher consequences of being hit, like, you should actually die if someone sticks a sharp object into your chest, not take 20 damage.

yeah that would be nice. but how do you balance lets say mages AOE abilitys to work with that? :)

if you loaded up lots of mages that could AOE at range you'd have an almost invincible army because they would just instagib the infantery :)

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
I love the idea to make a full group that goes to some dungeon and farm monsters together for exp/drops. As camelot used to be. Even if its a half full grp or w/e. I also would like to have the OPTION to quest if I was say alone like WoW.. Camelot was great in the aspect of going to dungeons to exp and find just that special spot. Maybe it was busy? sure get another. I hate how wow forces you to quest and having instanced dungeons. Add more/larger dungeons to make sure people can play together, back you up, ress and all that.
Having the option to go both instance and normal dungeons is loveable.

A MMORPG should not only make ppl group when they are max level. They should enforce grouping all the way from starter level.

I would like a mix of Camelot exping idea, with wow's easy questing together with the ability to hit different body parts as in Conan. (Camelot did have a random hit area on the body depending how good the armor part was it would be lower/higher damage). Also the character movement in wow (handling the character) is great. add that to.

Dark age of Warcona maybe would be a suiting name ;D

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
A MMORPG should not only make ppl group when they are max level. They should enforce grouping all the way from starter level.

I very much agree with this, and I hate how all MMO's the past 5-6 years have been hell-bent focused on the casual solo quester type. Everyone just soloing their way to max level and becoming worthless team players, and almost no community developing until most are max level. Fuck all the casual crap. :p

SWTOR will be the same, according to what interviews I've read; it's designed so you can solo all the way to max level.

I want an old-school immersive MMO with more focus on grouping/community, sadly I don't see it happening anytime soon since the new MMO generation would likely not buy into a game where you couldn't solo-quest-farm-level-grind. :ninja:

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Its cause we are getting old and emotional ;) The new generation isnt bothering about community except for their closest people they can do all content with. sadly.:D

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I very much agree with this, and I hate how all MMO's the past 5-6 years have been hell-bent focused on the casual solo quester type. Everyone just soloing their way to max level and becoming worthless team players, and almost no community developing until most are max level. Fuck all the casual crap. :p.

Why not fuck the level crap and let people do the fun stuff from the start? Let them learn their powers on the fly, but don't force them into boring "quests" to do pointless side-stuff. Just let them do things for NPCs who they like or are allied with.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
yeah that would be nice. but how do you balance lets say mages AOE abilitys to work with that? :)

if you loaded up lots of mages that could AOE at range you'd have an almost invincible army because they would just instagib the infantery :)

Easy, make all AoE damage spells cone AoE and turn FF on so they cant all cone one direction without wasting each other.

Tack on a self-destruct system a-la WAR and you control mages.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Easy, make all AoE damage spells cone AoE and turn FF on so they cant all cone one direction without wasting each other.

Tack on a self-destruct system a-la WAR and you control mages.

then just line the mages up and make a cone wall, same result :)

self-destruct system ala war might work if theres no healer class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom