What would you call Tuning, Chav behavior...etc...[includes more text]

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just got curious, since people always say "chav!!" when they see a suped up supra or neon lighted evo's...

What do you consider to be chav and what do you consider to be tuning?

I find that the high school, "let's add a self made spoiler with barbwire on my mommy dearest shopping cart" "tuning" to be, as you would call it, "chavvy".

But when someone takes a car, even some odd one like a Toyota Celica Hatchback, spend nearly or over 30k on trimming it, making it purr like a kitten, use time and effort to paint and decals, it's tuning and a worthy hobby.

Dis...cuss...no poll since i think they suck :D

Outlander

Part of the furniture
chav
vauxhallback.jpg

tuned
ShowCar01.jpg

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
First image doesn't work, and second is complete chav. You would look like a royal penis driving around in that.

The main problem is; if you're going to spend thousands on suping up a car, at least make the base car a decent one...not a shitty Corsa or 206...or just buy a decent car to start with.

Driving around with huge exhaust pipes, un-necessary spoilers and underlighting (big lol) just makes you look like an idiot.

Outlander

Part of the furniture
I like normal cars, for normal people.

I wouldnt wabt to be seen in anything that is like aforementioned, yes imo you look like a prick. I would class that picture as tuned, as it is obviously a pro effort made at it and it doesnt look half assed cheapo chav attempt. Still wouldnt want to be near it though.

Dandare

Fledgling Freddie
I think in most cases it comes down to age and a phase in life, I myself will admit to buying a 2 year old Nova Sri in 1990 and when most people should have been happy about owning a 2 year old car aged 18 I procedded to mod the hell out of it spending £3k on alpine equipment and took it to Doncastor sound offs, after all I had spent on the car I ended up selling it for around £1.5k and bought a normal car.
I've always been mad about cars but would much rather own something subtle costing 19k like the new Focus ST, and the lads or grown men do look like pricks at traffic lights with there back number plate shaking cos of thousands of pounds of stereo stuff in the back and ridiculus 5" exhaust but always makes me think of my younger days :)

Outlander

Part of the furniture
I never new the point of soundoffs :) there were some near me and all it was was peen boosting/stroking and looking silly lol. Im not a huge one for cars though so maybe I just missed something. :)

Dandare

Fledgling Freddie
Outlander said:
I never new the point of soundoffs :) there were some near me and all it was was peen boosting/stroking and looking silly lol. Im not a huge one for cars though so maybe I just missed something. :)
Nah mate you missed nothing apart from a load of young guys trying to show off and spend obsence amounts of money just to get the lower decibel from there subwoofers :)

Himse

FH is my second home
some guy up the road to me, spraypainted all of his skirts etc lel, then it rained and all the paint flaked off etc, was like teh funny, his car looked so shit.

Was a corsa ofc lel XD

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Saw a chav at lunchtime in a Nova, he'd put some ridiculous body kit on it, but obviously couldn't afford to spray it.

White skirt on a red car...riight.

Tit.

lilmissnaughty

Fledgling Freddie
well chav is usually tryna give off the illusion of a champagne lifestyle on lambrini money.
so anything that looks like a shit attempt to look cool or look like ur loaded.
:p

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Chav cars are the one like Nova's and old Corsa's. "Tuned" cars are the one people actually race or have actually done something to the engine.

Then theres penis extensions which is a car, suped up or not, that you buy to get you attension.

theres Rude boy cars which are hardcore cars that are actually really fast without touching the engine; Civic, Supra, Skyline and Subaru etc. Just get the alloys and maybe a rude boy exhust (5 inches of d00m)

For god sake is Charv! Little tramps came from up North, and we called them charvs while everyone else said Townies and shit ;E

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Healer McHeal said:
thats tuned ;), anything you do to the engine which increases its performance is tuning, anything you do to bodyshell or visual is just eyecandy, not tuning. Fact :)

It's still called tuning, atleast round here.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
old.Tohtori said:
It's still called tuning, atleast round here.

o_o So if I painted the range-rover next to my door 3-4 different colours, it'd be tuning? :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's part of the whole process.

Spoilers and such increase performance.

Color and such is just "for show" but it usually is part of the "tuning" hobby.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:

In a very small % of cases.

Perfect example is the moving spoiler that raises on a certain porsche.

It raises at about 30mph, for marketing reasons. It has an effect at about 120 mph.

Many spoilers are for effect, and increase drag, which is why when included in a lot of 'sporty' manufacturer cars, they are so small, and close to the bodywork.

The purpose of a spoiler in racing is to produce positive downforce (ie the faster the car goes, the more it sticks to the road), enabling them to corner faster. It does cause drag, however, so reduces straight line speed.

Darzil

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Kinda what i said, only shorter.

They change how car go :p

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
Kinda what i said, only shorter.

They change how car go :p

Yeah, and in all the pictures we've seen here so far, (well those not blocked by work here) will decrease performance.

Darzil

UrganNagru

Fledgling Freddie
Aye as said spoilers can increase downforce and therefore increase traction and handling inexchange for increased drag, so you can't really slap a spoiler on any old car and hope it goes faster, in many cases it will go slower. I'd imagine most cars you see razzing round with full body kits and spoilers have been put there to try make a mundane car look sporty and have sweet FA to do with tuning. A general rule of thumb is the larger the spoiler and the higher up on the car it is the more likely its been put there in a crap attempt to look flash.

Healer McHeal

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
It's part of the whole process.

Color and such is just "for show" but it usually is part of the "tuning" hobby.

The tuning part is still only what you do to the engine, anything else is just for looks. A spoiler CAN be used as part of tuning, but not in many cases. There is a good chance its just there for looks, only cars that race really need one since anything else aint going to get to the required speed to make it more of a bonus then a slowdown ;)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Sticking a 5 inch exhaust on a car can actually impair performance if the car isnt tuned up to take it as well - you need the correct air filters/flow etc to make it worthwhile. I remember when I was about 20 I had an XR3I (I know I know - it seemed a good idea at teh time) and there was a dude in the next village who had one exactly like mine - same yr etc - but his had the kind of exhaust tramps sleep in, stupid spoiler etc - everytime I saw him on a road and he wanted a race I blew him away (though it wasnt exactly teh fast and teh furious) his acceleration seemed to take forever probably due to the shite airflow and extra weight he chucked on the car to make it look faster - the only modding my car had done was some cross drilled brakes and a set of drilled pedals as my feet kept slipping off the ones in it when I bought it - twas a shite car tbh - one I regret more than any other buying :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Healer McHeal said:
The tuning part is still only what you do to the engine, anything else is just for looks.

Ofcourse i wasn't arguing the point of actual tuning, just saying that the "prettying up" is named tuning also. Ofcourse this requires some work on the engine also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom