what will i gain most off overall ?

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
buying a amd 64 3200+ s939 winchester and a msi nforce3 mobo, or buying a CLUB3D RADEON+ X800 PRO 256MB ?

what i have atm is a amd 3200+ barton, 1gb ram. and a connect3d Radeon 9600 256mb, no pro or such on it. the lowest and cheapest ver i think of 9600.

price is almost the same for both, not much diffrence atleast. that is with cpu cooler included to the mobo and cpu. but overall not only in gaming, what will i have most profit off ?
need help to decide if im gonna waste money on my comp or not, have a realy hard time to decide if its worth it or not 8)

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
And also, what could i get for my barton and mobo if i go for the amd 64 cpu ? would i get enough for radeon 9800 pro card ? and would that be better overall ?

looking at the net on what ppl are charging for stuff is about as reliable as checking mid/exc trading forums or ME in daoc so it doesnt realy give me a clue, and cant find them for sale on a online store in swe so dunno what a new one would cost 8(

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
I would go for the radeon x800 pro, you got 1gb of ram already and your cpu is fairly decent so the card should run at it's true potential, it's far far better than the radeon 9600, then perhaps sometime next year you can go to an athlon winchester when they gone down even more in price, most likely after xmas you could see this.(xmas sales)

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Forgot to add, if you do decide on the radeon x800 pro roteca, go for MSI/gigabyte VIVO models, these have 16 pipelines without having to modify them.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Rather would take a Geforce 6800 LE; without pipeline-modification they already faster then the 9800 from ATi; and most likely cheaper (6800LE in Holland is E199,--).

With some nifty programming u can unlock on those cards the other pipelines gaining another 10-20% performance boost depending on the game ofcourse.

Atleast in my country its the best bang for the buck card at the moment on the market ;)

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6600_gt_agp/page11.asp

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2277&p=5

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2277&p=8

Some benchmarks.(as you can see the 6600GT is an extremely good card for it's price which is around £150 here, £30 more than a 9800 pro)

I agree with puppet, if you aren't into serious gaming(playing games at 1280x1024 res or higher and all the fancy stuff on to it's highest) then go for a 6800(the LE models are the ones that have 8 pipelines that can be modded to 12, NOT all can though but these cards can certainly play games very well too).

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
well nvidia is not a option, was a big fan of gforce before, but after the change from ti4200 to this rather gimpy radeon i wont go back. mainly for the tv-out possibilities that ati has over nvidia.
well im not sure this works on the x800 card, but i guess so... gonna make that kind of cable when i find time for it. havent tested it myself, but from all the ppl that has tested its far superior against regular tv-out. and to make that kind of setup on a nvidia card is a bit more complicated ive understood.

Sycho said:
I agree with puppet, if you aren't into serious gaming(playing games at 1280x1024 res or higher and all the fancy stuff on to it's highest) then go for a 6800(the LE models are the ones that have 8 pipelines that can be modded to 12, NOT all can though but these cards can certainly play games very well too).

i run everything on 1280x1024, well except NFSU2 that seem to lag to much on 1280x1024, but the game seemed booring anyway so i removed it already... and games like farcry and half-life 2 ect dont intrest me that much either tbh, gonna try wow. and i want comp to run fast when catacombs comes out. and it has to be picture editing aswell as im trying to learn some about it. and for that my radeon works better then my crappy fx5200 nvidia card atleast, cuz the color matching on the fx5200 is realy terrible.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Roteca said:
i run everything on 1280x1024, well except NFSU2 that seem to lag to much on 1280x1024, but the game seemed booring anyway so i removed it already... and games like farcry and half-life 2 ect dont intrest me that much either tbh, gonna try wow. and i want comp to run fast when catacombs comes out. and it has to be picture editing aswell as im trying to learn some about it. and for that my radeon works better then my crappy fx5200 nvidia card atleast, cuz the color matching on the fx5200 is realy terrible.

The fx5200 is probably one of the worst cards ever made :p

The geforce 6 series are far better than the fx series, fx series were very mediocre.(i used to have a fx5900 ultra and now have 6800GT, it's such a big improvement, can play half life 2 1600x1200 res, 4xaa, 16xaf, all qua high and reflections all if i wanted to at probably 60fps in nearly all areas, on fx5900 i could just play 1024x768, 2xaa,4xaf and some high qua.)

The radeon 9800 pro XT probably would play wow easily but as for catacombs it would play very good just not with all the highest features on.If you do not use anti aniliasing or anistrophic filtering in games(though this card still can do that well, not the same level a radeon x800 can do though) i would just go with 9800 pro XT since you do not want a nvidia card. :p

However the radeon x800 would last longer obviously and can overlock it to x800xt level too.(if you going to do this then i advise using an artic cooler instead of the supplied heatsink/cooler you get with the card.)

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
only msi and gigabyte that has that on the vivo models ?

CLUB3D RADEON X800 PRO 256MB DDRAGP8X DVI/TVO/VIVO is within my price range aswell, do this have the same as msi and gigabyte vivo cards? or should i continue my search for internet stores that sell x800 ?

price range is pretty limited cuz i will buy the part/parts with my tax-repayment i got 8)

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Yes the gigabyte model(make sure it's VIVO) seems the best bet from what i have read on forums, the connect3D one would have it but you would have to do some mod to get it though it's a chance, there's no 100% certain chance you will get 16 pipelines whereas the gigabyte one should have them right out of the box.

Also on the site i order from it seems slightly cheaper too heh.

Thread about it:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17325438&highlight=x800

Zede

Part of the furniture
I bought the Radeon X800 pro few months back - its feckin amazing.

as syc said, playing HL 2 in 1600 x 1200 with everything turned up to the max, and still runs great :)

really helps in daoc zergs too :)

TiwiS

Fledgling Freddie
i've got the x800 ViVo, and i've activated the 16 pipelines without a problem (Asus btw)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom