what the best

O

old.addario

well i got a celeron 400, 176mb ram, voodoo 3 2000, and i am getting a new processor, possibly a amd 1gig cause as u would guess T2 dont realy run on my little 400 :(

could any1 give me some advice on a good processor so i can run T2, and mother board

cheers

O

old.Mote\/

From what I have heard there is basically no difference between the various processor types in terms of performace, so you may as well get an Athlon as you can generally get a higher mhz one for the same price as P3, making it better in a way.

In terms of motherboard, a gigabyte is good for its price but tribes only likes it much if you have the very latest drivers, I got an extra 15 fps (made the game playable) when I upgraded to newest drivers over the ones on the CD.

You'll also want lots of ram (256+) and most importantly i'd through out that voodoo and get an geforce 2 MX as they are only about 50 pounds (even cheaper at some places) and will give you a far bigger performance increase than changing of processor IMO.

Hope this helps :)

[Edited by Mote\/ on 17-05-01 at 00:43]

O

old.Amything

I upgraded to 1 gig T-bird not long ago to be able to play this game along with a ASUS A7A266 mobo. They are very nice and have DDR and SDRAM slots and easy to overclock if you are into that.
I got a Geforce 256 (GF1) not DDR and 192 meg ram and it runs fine with a little tweaking.

With GF 2 MX it would probably run perfect, but yes your biggest problem along with the CPU is that Voodoo card.

O

old.Aaad

I've got a Voodoo 5. :(

Would the GF 2 MX be my best bet too? I don't really know (or understand much) about how they compare?

M

Mongrol

I`ve just got an 1ghz Thunderbird, and IWILL motherboard based on the KT133A chipset, flaky but it works. The 1Ghz is currently sitting at 1496Mhz. Nearly all KT133A mobo`s will let you overclock well apart from Asus which is in bed with AMD and will hardly let you do bugger all (FSB only). Besides, noone should ever buy an Asus product again. The popular combo of 1Ghz Athlon and Abit KT7A is a stable and affordable gaming solution with "Axia" 1gigs now going for 110quid. 512kram loves Tribes2 too and a geforce2 of any type is essential.

O

old.addario

thanks

yea, i was looking at a athlon 1gig with a gigabyte motherboard for £160-70, and a Geforce for £50!!!

O

old.Amything

Agree with not buying Asus but personally Im going to restrict that to Vid Cards :)

You can however OC with the Asus board quite good, which is the reason I think its such a popular combo. But first you have to use a solder pen on your T-bird and all the options open to you (as long as its Axia).

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Well im on the verge of upgrading my box with all new gear over the next month or so, but my current system, a 1gig TB, with a GTS 64meg 512mb 133, on a abit raid 133, gives pretty crap performance in this game, people like mongol would have you belive that setup will run T2 great, but in truth it doesn't:) I live in hope my soon to get GF3 will solve some of my troubles, but hope is all it is;) Btw Why the fuck does Sacrifice run so great on my system, which is WAY in advance of tribes2 in terms of gfx, and the resources it pulls from your box. Piss poor programing maybe;)

O

old.KmA_MANTIS

Originally posted by Kurt_Angle
Well im on the verge of upgrading my box with all new gear over the next month or so, but my current system, a 1gig TB, with a GTS 64meg 512mb 133, on a abit raid 133, gives pretty crap performance in this game, people like mongol would have you belive that setup will run T2 great, but in truth it doesn't:) I live in hope my soon to get GF3 will solve some of my troubles, but hope is all it is;) Btw Why the fuck does Sacrifice run so great on my system, which is WAY in advance of tribes2 in terms of gfx, and the resources it pulls from your box. Piss poor programing maybe;)

Erm Kurt I dont mean to worry you but I've got almost the identical system to you.

1ghz AMD T Bird
A Bit KT7A Raid
256meg of PC133
Geforce 2 MX (worse than yours)
2 * 30gig IBM ATA 100 Telesto Drives. (raid 0)
SB Live!

I run T2 at 1024 * 768 res with top graphics settings and it flies! I upgraded to this just for T2 as it in my opinion is the ideal system. Have you bothered tweaking yours at all?

Couple of links for people wanting to up their perfomance are:

http://www.3dspotlight.com
http://www.3dgpu.com
http://www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com

These sites got me a smooth trouble free system and I recommend them if your PC is still performing poorly.

Main thing to look at is your graphics card drivers. The standard NVIDIA ones are shite and you should stick em in the bin. Get the Detonator 12 drivers from ctrl-alt-del.com above. I noticed a huge speed increase when using these.

Also tweak your bios and memory. The Abit Kt7a's have most performance enhancing features switched off out of the box so thats something you should really look at.

KT7a tweak guide can be found at the link below.

http://www.apushardware.com

Hope this helps you guys out :)

O

old.Shinara

Mantis
WTF are you doing with my system:confused:
I have the same as you :) except i have GeForce2 GTS
I get 60-70 fps in builings and 80-100 outside with 3/4 settings. How does this compare with yours (also running at 1028x768). I am using the Det11 drivers is there much improvement getting the Det12?
Thanks for the link to the K7 site though :D

O

old.addario

btw, love your work mantis, do u make skins for people in general? do u have to pay? (just wants a professional SAS Clan Tribes 2 skin) :)

O

old.KmA_MANTIS

:) thnx :)

Generally I dont do requests as I'm paid by Skinners Guild to do skins and if I do some for one person everybody expects some and I get a list longer than my arm (which I've already exceeded).

but...

Gimme a link to your clans site and I'll have a look around and if I have some awesome brainwave for a new and challenging skin - I will have a go :)

[Edited by KmA_MANTIS on 18-05-01 at 08:21]

O

old.Hobbes^^

I have...

Totally clean install of W2K SP1.

1.1Ghz AMD, 786MB SDRAM@133 CL3, 78GB HDD, GeForce2 32MB, Cable modem.

At 800x600 max everything I get 99fps inside and 50fps outside, and on Death birds fly if the server is full it has dropped as low as 20fps. :/

I will have my 64MB Geforce3 in a couple of days, hopefully that will help.

O

old.KmA_MANTIS

Shinara I got no I dea what my FPS is so Im going to be tersting it this weekend to give you guys some figures.

When using 3dmark 2001 detonator 12's gave around 100 marks more than 11's but that doesnt mean it will affect T2 in the same way.

I'll get you some solid info before end of weekend :)

M

Mongrol

Kurt, there seems to be a lot of people like me. We`ve all got pretty similar systems and yours should definitely be bombing along like everyone elses. Sound to me like you have some kind of driver issues that T2`s engine is showing up. Got AGP4in1 installed? Got a via chipset? Got SBLive? Something somewhere isn`t right with your setup.

O

old.schford

The kit

Best and cheapest kit around is at http://www.overclockers.co.uk

For help and advice check out forums.overclockers.co.uk

I can reccomend an ABIT KT7a / AMD combo - I have 1.5ghz that way but the latest and greatest is the new Iwill Motherboard

M

Mongrol

O

old.Kurt_Angle

yeah could be, i don't even know what the hell my sound card is, could be a sb16:eek:. Somebody gave my one because my aureal was borking on board, i never got round to getting a new one;) T2 has probs with soundcards i belive, so ill go get one tomorrow from Pc *cough* world:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom