What is Adding .. ?

Vilje

Fledgling Freddie
A strange question you might think. But to me it's not really strange at all ..
I'll try to explain my concern with a series of examples:

1.If I see 2 albs ganking a mid, and I help the mid and we kill em - Is that adding? And if so, is it good or bad adding? Is that the same type of adding that people whine about?

2.If I see 1 mid and 1 hib fighting, the hib is at 40 percent, and the mid is at 80. If I jump the hib, is this the kind of adding people talk about? What if it was vice versa?

3.If I see 1 GG mids fighting 3 FG albs, and I start nuking albs?

4. If I see 3 FG hibs fighting 3 FG albs, and I start nuking?

Could think of 1000 more examples really, but what do you guys think is "evul adding", what do you guys think is "accepted adding", and what is not? What is the kind of adding that makes you make threads @ Freddyshouse?

Discuss if you like =)

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Damm tough question ...

If its alb/hibs fighting ... then its easy ... pile straight in.

If its a mid group, like maelstrom, then we try to avoid adding (They are easy to spot). They can handle themselves.

Ultimately we let the group leader make the call. They get a few seconds to evaulate (Which is pretty difficult) the battle and numbers on each side. At the moment FG vs FG stuff tends to degenerate into fights with multiple groups (well it was in Emain last night).

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Thats probably the problem...

Vilje said:
A strange question you might think. But to me it's not really strange at all ..
I'll try to explain my concern with a series of examples:

1.If I see 2 albs ganking a mid, and I help the mid and we kill em - Is that adding? And if so, is it good or bad adding? Is that the same type of adding that people whine about?

2.If I see 1 mid and 1 hib fighting, the hib is at 40 percent, and the mid is at 80. If I jump the hib, is this the kind of adding people talk about? What if it was vice versa?

3.If I see 1 GG mids fighting 3 FG albs, and I start nuking albs?

4. If I see 3 FG hibs fighting 3 FG albs, and I start nuking?

Could think of 1000 more examples really, but what do you guys think is "evul adding", what do you guys think is "accepted adding", and what is not? What is the kind of adding that makes you make threads @ Freddyshouse?

Discuss if you like =)

Well the difference in opinions are probably the problem with this question. (Hence the huge amount of whines).

I can only say how I view this!:)

When I fight an enemy:
I dont care about friendly or enemy adds. Its a realm vs realm so they are supposed to help eachother out.

When I see someone else fighting an enemy:
1vs1
If the rr difference is high in favor of the enemy realm I help out if my realmmate is close to loosing (if I get time enough to see the fight etc)

2vs1
Add in if its in favour of the enemy realm.

FGvsFG
Well if the realm mates are loosing I help out with the exception of really High RR fights where they usually want to be left alone. (problem here is ofc to evaluate the situation fast enough and not getting the people in the groups adding on you so you have to defend yourself)

More than FG on either side:
Add in as fast and hard as possible...

Well thats my 2 cents worth!:)

/charmangle

Xxcalibur

One of Freddy's beloved
i might add in future in stealthers chars , after play 2 days with eld mana ( minixxcal) as solo player i m very surprised about the amount of times that high rr players add like a mofo in a situation 1 hib vs 4 mids / albs , players like skalzal, aldoran, etc...

ps : better dont talk about the scouts .. :)

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
I think adding is when you ruin a fair fight making it unfair or make an easy fight even easier.

Simple answer rly, harder to live by it...

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
IMO its all about location.

I have had people whine at me(or the group I was with) because I joined in a fight near Bryna bridge or in OF near MPK. In those situations I don't think anything can be called adding because you know there is likely to be so many people about. I also don't really feel that anybody is suffering particularly as the people involved didn't really have to put any effort into getting that fight. They are only whining because they believe they lost a few easy rp.

On the other hand if people have gone to the effort of going somewhere different then I will do my best to not screw up their fights if I happen to be passing. This happens quite alot but probably because I am a evil roleplayer who likes to do other things than just farming RPs in the frontier. :eek7:

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Adding? never seen anyone do it...

Gonna roll mid pryd tbfh

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Adding for me is ; When interfering with a fight that would be more or less fair match or adding on a kill when there is a few rps to gain without the risk of losing.

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Coldbeard said:
Adding for me is ; When interfering with a fight that would be more or less fair match or adding on a kill when there is a few rps to gain without the risk of losing.

Was being sarcastic... cos like... albs never add etc etc... Hense the mid pryd bit

VidX

One of Freddy's beloved
Define fair fight: 1fg rr10 mids vs 1fg rr3 hibs is not fair for example.

Also, it's a 3 way game, no such thing as adding in RvR, if I see an enemy I'll start hitting them unless I don't want to, and I expect others to do the same, no matter what realm. If you have a problem with it go play Guildwars or roll on Camlann.

Tiques

Fledgling Freddie
Adding is when you "help" in a fight there is fair in numbers or in the advantage of your realm already.

To me, atleast, so if a 1on1 and you "help", it is always adding.

note, if it is 2 a-realm vs 1 b-realm and there is 1 b-realm lying dead, it counts as a 2vs2 in my eyes...

Sandariel

Fledgling Freddie
adding is...

..bullshit.

It's some unwritten rule some people try to enforce upon others. Which is quite weird, since I don't know anyone who can say about himself that he never "added". Everyone adds once in a while, it's part of the game. It's especially fun to see those "I would never add"-people add on someone and then say "You added on me first bla bla".

I never complained and never will if a stealther attacks me and 1 or 2 or 20 archers join in. It's a war realm vs. realm, and it's free for all. Call me a stupid roleplayer or whatever, I don't mind. :) I sometimes vent my frustration about the 728634th instakill by a warlock on /gu, but hell, if albs had warlocks, they'd use them too... and complaining leads nowhere. But just like adding, warlocks are part of the game. Live with it or leave if you don't like it.

How does Yoda say? Death leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to whine or something like that ;)

I don't care if no one likes if I help out a realmmate. If I don't "add" I choose to do so, but no one will ever enforce this rule on me.

I usually leave two assassins fighting each other alone. But what if a stealther PAs a caster next to me in the middle of a zerg. Am I not allowed to nuke him down since it would ruin a 1vs1 the stealther would clearly win? The stealther has the most powerfull weapon in the game... stealth. He can choose his fights. If he chooses to attack someone next to me, well, have fun eating dirt.

If I'd see a hero fighting a warrior or an armsman though, I'd prolly leave them alone and watch the fight. Depends on the situation, but whining about someone from another realm attacking you is just dull.

I often just run around solo and spam F8, the second I got a target it's /face and nuke (or mezz if I see more than one ;) ). If it's only one and he's already engaged in combat with someone, do I have to interrupt my casting?

Happened not too long ago in HW, was running around hitting F8 once in a while and suddenly I got a lurikeen target, instantly hit /face and then nuked. Saw he was fighting an inf and actually tried to interrupt my cast but it went off anyway (interrupting with ~1.5secs casting speed isn't always that easy) and instantly got yelled at by person X "FFS don't add meight". Yay, this rocks. Realmmates rule \o/

Anyway, logging on now. Feel free to flame little "roleplaying" me [/ventfrustration] :)

Gamah

Banned
When someone joins in a 1v1 or 2v2..

Or when I'm ganking some poor rr2 player and some "alb" decides to help me..mind you thats not adding its just stealing realm points.

Gamah

Banned
Sandariel said:
I usually leave two assassins fighting each other alone. But what if a stealther PAs a caster next to me in the middle of a zerg. Am I not allowed to nuke him down since it would ruin a 1vs1 the stealther would clearly win? The stealther has the most powerfull weapon in the game... stealth. He can choose his fights. If he chooses to attack someone next to me, well, have fun eating dirt.

Who ever plays like that deserves to die for not having a clue :>

VidX

One of Freddy's beloved
Gamah said:
When someone joins in a 1v1 or 2v2..

Or when I'm ganking some poor rr2 player and some "alb" decides to help me..mind you thats not adding its just stealing realm points.
Would have to be a very good alb then to help save you in that fight!

/hug ;)

Gamah

Banned
VidX said:
Would have to be a very good alb then to help save you in that fight!

/hug ;)

I would rather die in a 1v1 than have an alb help me..at least I die knowing both partys had a good fight.

Except warlocks ZERG EM!

VidX

One of Freddy's beloved
Gamah said:
I would rather die in a 1v1 than have an alb help me..at least I die knowing both partys had a good fight.

Except warlocks ZERG EM!
Agreed!

raid

Can't get enough of FH
If you play to fight for your realm or can't stand missing a couple of realmpoints, just yell "FOR ARTHUR" and slay the enemy. This is also the way Mythic intended the game to be played.

If you play to have nice fights, always remember it's people behind the enemy chars as well and try to make game more fun for all parties. Everyone knows how good but rare a fair even fight can be, do you want to be the one spoiling fun for others?

Myself, when soloing, I try to see who's fighting and decide based on that - if the people involved are in the first category (randomgroups, some guildgroups, most stealthers), the decision is easy. However I try to not add on any groups which dont add/zerg or spare me if I'm solo ;) If unsure, I add on stealthers only. When grouped, it's always the leader who makes the call but I usually ask the leader to respect fair fights too. And if I'm losing a fair fight (be it solo or group), I rather die and release than get saved by adds.

Arakasi01

Fledgling Freddie
Can say for sure there are lots more solo fights going on now when not all 3 realms are zerging 1 tiny bit of land.
Even had a solo fight with Szakal today 2 with Luon and and 1 with Spinesprout. Haven't had a solo fight for ages since i came back to daoc.

Only thing that is real adding imo and might be a little negative is if you see a realm mate fighting someone, he is at 80% and the other is at like 10%, that could be seen as been rp horny.

Also i would never personally call it adding or whine on someone since the game is all about 3 different realms, everyone is free game.
Its all situation based, like when people see warlocks and bainshits I can imageine 90% of alb population get in a berserker frenzy and just wants to kill.
(something about those screams the bainshees make makes me wanna snap them in 2, i might have a problem i dunno :p)
In the same time i do only pity those people who start swearing at me and whining when i give the killing blow on someone they were apparently losing to.
And i also forget what the point in this thread was originally so I'm done :p

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
ghaos smaug said:
RofLoL seems you still have nightmare's :wij:

all albs wake up in the middle of the night screaming about 2k damage warlock chambers :(

Koi

Fledgling Freddie
i only count adding when it comes to 1vs1 and they are on there own..anything else, bollocks to it and do your thing! :D

ghaos smaug

Fledgling Freddie
Elitestoner said:
all albs wake up in the middle of the night screaming about 2k damage warlock chambers :(

OmG nice did not even knew we where doing that much damm. just hope it's becouse our "ability" to do damage, rather than your "lack" of taking a :twak: or 2

even if i have to admit you keep me up at some nights aswell

Gettafix

Fledgling Freddie
Adding in my opinion is only when you 'help' your own realm mates, to get rp's for yourself, when you can clearly see they have already won the fight.

Helping your realm mate when they are loosing a 1vs1 (or any other numbers) and are going to die is not. You are taking nothing from your realm mates (as they would have died anyway) and are hurting the ENEMY.

The people who complain about 1vs1 adding are the same high RR soloers or wannabes. They know they can win 1vs1 down to better equip and RR(sometimes skill). They do not consider that their victims might not want to fight them. If I am running my cleric to a tower and I get jumped, I am more than happy when someone helps me out as I know I cant win. Its the same for low RR players going to a keep defence (which is where most of these so called 1vs1 fights come from). Rarely is is a case of two equal oponents dualing it out ^^.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
I think "adding" also has alot to do which class is fighting which class if for example it's a 1v1 and 1 person is a support type and the other person is an assasin, I would "add" on that and help the support type.
If it's an assasin vs an assasin then ok it's "fair" but I can't resist to buffshear some stealthers with all shears sometimes no matter what class they are fighting :)

Tristessa

One of Freddy's beloved
Rather funny though that the *bad* adders are considered to be RP horny, when in fact the ones that are really horny are the people that whine at them, for *stealing* them... But what am I saying. It's all about fair fights and proper challenges, especially in the 1vs1 department, and not RPs :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom