What does the future hold for DAOC?

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Just been thinking, comparing catacombs and the general state of the game to daocs begginings, i wonder were daoc will end up in 5-10 years time (assuming daoc is still going and the world has not ended :D) what would the game be like?

post your predictions here.

one day we might even have player mounts you can control! :eek2:

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
I think the game will last 2 maybe 3 more years, hopefully the add ons will get better (not seen cata yet) and the player base will increase.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
As much as i still like the game i really cant see it getting updated/supported for more than another 2 years or so, then maybe some more fixpatches but no more major content.

We know Mythic are planing on another retail expansion, and im guessing that it will be the second to last proper expansion we will see, probably released in november as per usuall in the US. What it will entail i have no idea :)

Im hoping that in 1 or 2 years there will finally have been a major rvr balance and tweaking patch, a new crafting system, downtime lessening content introduced (i.e. food/drinks or better regen pots), improvments to sieges (ladders, grappling hooks and such), more gfx refining etc.

Mounts are unlikely, especially since they will increase runspeed in 1.75 - i think thats their way of saying "no mounts, ever" and still giving us something.

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Mounts are unlikely, especially since they will increase runspeed in 1.75 - i think thats their way of saying "no mounts, ever" and still giving us something.

I'd like them to make a quest to tame a gryphon (or griffin as the're called in game iirc) to have as a free transport and maybe even as a companion in PvE...

I'd love to flyby the dragon and /rude spam him :)

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
By how much?

From the friday grab bag:
--------->
I saw many questions about the run speed change on the boards. Just to be clear: Right now, the game has different categories of non-horseback movement speed - basic (whether you are in or out of combat), sprint, and magically altered. In 1.75, we are ADDING another state - basic (applies to those considered by the game to be in combat), out of combat, sprint, and magically altered. The "out of combat" default speed is downright zippy - not as fast as sprinting or magically altered, but close in some cases. We are not (to my knowledge, anyway) discussing a change to the "in combat" movement speed.
<---------

So the change isn't THAT big

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
RUN SPEED CHANGE

Since Dark Age of Camelot's launch, we have heard continuous feedback from our community about the movement speed in our game. The concerns over how slow our movement is has continued to grow as we have added more and more areas in which to travel. Because we believe these concerns are valid, we have decided to make a long requested change to the game, enhancing the movement speed of all players who are out of combat. This new run state allows the player to move faster than normal run speed, provided that the player is not in any form of combat. Along with this change, we have slightly increased the speed of all secondary speed buffs (see below for details). Both of these changes are noticeable but will not impinge upon the supremacy of the primary speed buffs available to the Bard, Skald and Minstrel.

- The new run speed works only in PvE. We are still assessing the possibility of this ability also working in RvR, but no final decision has yet been made.

- The new run speed does not work if the player is in any form of combat. All combat timers must also be expired.

- The new run speed will not stack with any other run speed spell or ability, except for Sprint.

- Pets that are not in combat have also received the new run speed, only when they are following, to allow them to keep up with their owners.

- We have slightly increased the speed bonuses for the following spell lines:

Sorcerer – Amplify Movement
Theurgist – Brisk Wind
Enchanter - Effervescence
Warden – Guardian’s Encouragement
Healer – Ease of Movement
Runemaster – Token of Movement
Vampiir - Vampiir's Sprint

Excert of 1.75B taken from www.camelotherald.com/

Mincers/Bards/Skalds have nothing to fear though as they will still be King/Queen of speed :)

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH

erm btw they are planning player mounts or they were... me and my friend went to check the friday news on the main page sometime last u and they had" 1. (watever it was think .75 or sumthing) "Player Mounts" with a wyvern and another animal. It had no link for information though, but the next day i checked it had goneo_O so they obviously did think about it

Berthold

Fledgling Freddie
Brunore said:
I think the game will last 2 maybe 3 more years, hopefully the add ons will get better (not seen cata yet) and the player base will increase.

i use to play legend of mir a game that was outdated even at the time but thats still going and being updated, as long as people play the game will run its that simple. DAoC has a long time left several years min imo

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Even if they announce no more updates, it would only cost them bandwith, server maintenance and a skeleton staff for in game problems, billing could meld with a future mmorpg.
Could probably tick over on a 1000 players, even if GOA wanted rid, someone could buy the franchise and run it semi-professionally.

With ever icreasing bandwith avaliable to ordinary bods, it could even be run from someones bedroom on a spare PC.

It's gonna be a strange thing though, switching off worlds eventually, places that are as good as real in your mind.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
2 years max in running. Way of the massive.

If nothing else, they'll release part dos.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
A modern MMORPG needs roughly about 20,000 subscribers to keep it fully supported, if you scrap any updates you can probably keep it running on a fraction of that.

So I think DAoC will have quite a longer live still. It also depends on how much Mythic bets on their future games (like Imperator). Up to 5 more years would be realistic.

However Mythic will have to merge servers, something they are already doing on EQ. Merging Frontiers is already a first step to full server merges and a sure indication server pops have gone down a lot, even with Catacombs.

Devaster

Fledgling Freddie
Its all depends on mythic marketing department :eek:
The promotion of DAOC in the US and EU were and are the worst in the Online Gaming industry. Look at wow/eq2/lineage/eve/anarchy online ...
Wow is just the best exaple how can a piece of shit game get 1.5 milion subscribers untill release with preordered copies and then another 2.5milion 1 week after release sold in stores. Its all about promotion, u can sell crap if u invest XXX bilions in advertising and everybody know that this crap is realy good one :m00:

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
It's not all about promotion. If Blizzard hadn't made 5-6 games that everyone and his mother was addicted to and a huge crowd didn't worship their devs like they had divine power to make the perfect games wow wouldn't have sold that much. Who really knew Mythic before Daoc? It was a small complany, unlike Sony, which hadn't made anything really ground breaking like Blizzard.

And keep your opinions to yourself, some people have played both games and prefer wow for multiple reasons, as many people prefer daoc. No need to insult any.

To stay on topic though, i think daoc can be sustained for another 4-5 years as i have seen games with much lower umbers being supported and surviving.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Just as FYI, while I don't know any more about Mythic's long range plans than any of you. Ultima Online which has been around since around 1996, recently got a new expansion - this is after Origin dropped the official support and left it to freeshard developers. Recently they picked it back up and it seems to be still making them money.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
UO will never die :D Even I sometimes log back on that old game even though I "quit" over 4 years ago.

nikolas

Fledgling Freddie
I haven't kept tabs on player masses in daoc, but I did note that it was as high as 240k worldwide before WoW launch. Obviously some will have shifted to other games like EQ2 and WoW to name a few, but I'm sure Mythic aren't to worried ;) They have more than enough player base to carry on doing well. They have over 140 staff developing further content in Daoc and they are also developing a new game - Imperator.

So state side things look fine, over in the EU ofc we are looked after by GOA. GOA are the department/section of Wanadoo in charge of online gaming etc. Wanadoo are doing very well across Europe atm, and have quickly established themselves as one of market leader in Broadband. They are currently selling 1gig for £18 which has pissed off a load of other Broadband suppliers.

Wanadoo are expected to start making a profit very soon, after a fair few years of losses (stocks), so once they reach profit things could pick up quite nicely with extra investments possibly / larger budgets for GOA... Or fingers crossed...

In order to increase subscribers it takes cash, to put it bluntly the older the product, the more cash has to be spent in order to boost subscribers. It's considerably more costly to boost numbers on older products than new.... Mythic may decide to shelve future retail expansions and leave as is in a year or 2, or they may continue to invest in their product by releasing more content.

You may well see more time being invested in Imperator. They may shift resources from Daoc and begin developing another title after it's released who knows. If that happens expect to see Daoc enter a completed state with a smaller development team. This will only happen though if player numbers drop to such a point when it becomes to impractical to spend large amounts of cash to develop.

I would be surprised to see daoc supported fully after it's 5 year cycle. So my guess is by 2007 Mythic will have scaled down it's support for Daoc to invest/develop more newer products.

Job

Yup, can't se it dying anymore than sonic the hedgehog has.

Even if all the servers get switched off, someone can hack it to run as a PVE on yer own PC or via LAN .

One day I'll be playing the game using a PC game emulator on my phone.

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
Berthold said:
i use to play legend of mir a game that was outdated even at the time but thats still going and being updated, as long as people play the game will run its that simple. DAoC has a long time left several years min imo

That can be argued strongly.

I played a game called Earth and Beyond. They pulled the plug on it in October last year after only 2 years of uptime.

The reason tey gave was that they needed the staff for another upcoming game. (EA / Westwood when they folded).

So, even tho people were playing it (and it had quite a following) the game servers closed down.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
I played a game called Earth and Beyond. They pulled the plug on it in October last year after only 2 years of uptime.

E&B sales had remained FAR below expectations (a mere 53k) and EA has quite a record for axing underperforming online games (MCO, UO2, Majestic).
DAoC won't be axed that easely being Mythics flagship, even if it's only a second-rate MMORPG subscription-wise.

BTW if there are a couple of MMORPGs that face immenent closure it's Turbines AC and AC2. If those games keep losing players it's over for them.

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Abel said:
E&B sales had remained FAR below expectations (a mere 53k) and EA has quite a record for axing underperforming online games (MCO, UO2, Majestic).
DAoC won't be axed that easely being Mythics flagship, even if it's only a second-rate MMORPG subscription-wise.

BTW if there are a couple of MMORPGs that face immenent closure it's Turbines AC and AC2. If those games keep losing players it's over for them.

I played another Mythic game Called Silent Death Online Great game was hosted by EA in end they pulled plug on it for E&B :twak:

Mythic wont re hosting Silent Death as I found out even tho there are hundreds of us who would like Mythic 2 :mad:

As long as Player base satisfaction is kept up with Expansions for this game can't see why it will ever Die just don't bring in another Toa Geee frigging hate it to time consuming but apart from that as long as development goes on it will last.

Soulja

elkira

Fledgling Freddie
for the future i would love to see a pure " custom" class .a class that would allow you to choose any 4 skills from your realm..just think about an archer with the envenom abilty or an shadowblade with a bow skill.
anyway would love to see what kind of chr you people would make ?..
my personal choice would be
: composite bow
: stealth
: sword
: crit strike
have fun chosseing...

Job

Insta lifetap
Insta lifetap
Stealth

tauser

Fledgling Freddie
Close to 900 on prydwen tonight, was 800+ last night aswell. Numbers seem very simular as pre US open Beta of WoW, especially if it keeps inching up ;)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Job said:
Insta lifetap
Insta lifetap
Stealth

Heal Pets
Speed 5
Stealth
Pet Spamming oO

On, and since it would be a tank I get sheild + 2h weaps auto trained.

mikke

Can't get enough of FH
lol, after all the complains ive heard about daoc in this thread, it makes me think of wow...

the new crafting system\water,food\etc etc.. its like wow:p i mean: in pve wow is 1k better then daoc, becouse of that you dont have to be rich and uberly bored to start crafting, and you actiually get food\water to lesser your downtime, so its better then daoc's pve system. But in pvp daoc is 1k better then wow, but i would never go over to wow, becouse its so gay graphics and noone is ever grouping eachoter, they are just Questing all the time... and thats lame..

So a combination of daoc's graphic and pvp and wow's pve system would be great:) (i dont like that wow had that few classes tbh, and both "realms" got the same classes except from 2 or 3 that they dont share)

anyways - i hope daoc will last as loong as i play it -_-

Rami

One of Freddy's beloved
Guessing about 3-4 more years. Also I'm guessing Mythic will start working on a new DAoC-type of game within 1 year ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom