What do you expect of your new recruits?

W

wildthang

Looking around the various RTCW forums that I frequent I can't help but notice that nearly everyone is recruiting (my own clan included).

• What do you lot require from your newest member?
  • Is reliability more important than gaming ability?
  • Do you have an on the spot trial (ie. spectate them on a server to gauge their suitability) or have a probationary period in which to assess them?
  • Do you recruit as many members as possible to try and participate in more leagues, or do you keep it small and concerntrate on a select few games during the week?

Just curious as to how people approach the demands of clan play.

B

bigbb

I'd say all that is subject to your clan's perspective and ethos. For instance, i've always been in pure fun clans, nothing serious about what i've done in clans. I recall my years in UT where my clan and I sung a whole compliation CD of 80's hits over Roger Wilco during a BWUTCTFL match.

As such, that clan only had a few requirements of people wanting to join, that you were what we phrased as, "unique". We hardly took anyone on external of our sub-community. But, the UT community was/is a lot bigger. RTCW clans in general have too many clans, for too few players and that obviously reverses the requirements, you'll have to make the clan attractive to them, rather than them come to you, unless you're a high profile clan. You need to steer well clear of the "we want members over 18 only, not retards etc.". I wouldn't base a requirement on age, maturity fine, age doesn't and never will equal or be relational to maturity and intelligence.

Really depends on what you've got a clan for, but either way i'd not promote having loadsa members. Working with about 10-12 close mateys who all have a laugh is more likely to get ppl turning up, if they feel valued and belonging. Something I always feel is lost 14-15+ members.

But, that's all I've got to say :) Filled 5 minutes.

W

wildthang

Originally posted by bigbb
I'd say all that is subject to your clan's perspective and ethos. For instance, i've always been in pure fun clans, nothing serious about what i've done in clans. I recall my years in UT where my clan and I sung a whole compliation CD of 80's hits over Roger Wilco during a BWUTCTFL match.
LMAO. Please say that you sang GOLD. If not, why not dammit! :E
As such, that clan only had a few requirements of people wanting to join, that you were what we phrased as, "unique". We hardly took anyone on external of our sub-community. But, the UT community was/is a lot bigger. RTCW clans in general have too many clans, for too few players and that obviously reverses the requirements, you'll have to make the clan attractive to them, rather than them come to you, unless you're a high profile clan. You need to steer well clear of the "we want members over 18 only, not retards etc.". I wouldn't base a requirement on age, maturity fine, age doesn't and never will equal or be relational to maturity and intelligence.
That's an interesting point you've raised there with regard to age. I've always been a bit wary of the yonger players and as such scrutinised them more closely... but mostly 'cause I've had bad run in's with a lot of hormonal teens over my many years of online gaming.

The age range in our clan runs from 16 to 31... fortunately for us, we've all got the mental age of 12 year olds ;)
Really depends on what you've got a clan for, but either way i'd not promote having loadsa members. Working with about 10-12 close mateys who all have a laugh is more likely to get ppl turning up, if they feel valued and belonging. Something I always feel is lost 14-15+ members.

But, that's all I've got to say :) Filled 5 minutes. [/B]
I'd agree with that. Keeping it smaller and more close knit seems the way to go. I'd play with just 6 in our clan if it wasn't for the fact that sometimes we can't all make it online at the same time each week.

Does anyone play or lead a clan that is run in a more competitive manner? What are your views?

ps. thanks for filling that fives mins, time for me to leave work now.. YAY! :E

12mavatar

a story about the clan i started [SoF],

to start with we had 15 members mainly from the UT clan i am in [12M] (12 monkeys) , it was a change from UT which has been ruined imo, after approx 1 month out of the 15 players it came to be clear that only 4 were really interested in it and had the enthusiasm to want to enter leagues.

So after posting on forums etc we got a few more good new recruits, but still we need 2 more, cos not everyone can make it to every game, at the moment we have 10 members but only 5/6 show up regulary, in reality you need about 10 good regular players.

these are the things i look for in a player in order of importance before a trail.

1. can play wolf regular with the clan.
2. lives in Europe (mainly due to time differences i cannot expect someone from texas to play in a league at 9pm when its 12:30 in the afternoon over there, and there pings are a bit crap to uk)
3. Aged 18+ (i respect younger ppl but i do not want them wasting there school days playing games when they should be studying how will you afford adsl with no qualifications ;) )
4. Can work in a team and give/take orders

Trail wise i look for team skills not high scores, even if they got 3 points its how they got the 3 points that matters.

When they have joined all i ask is they practice and have fun!

the more ppl in the clan the more i would worry about what they think when i don't pick them for games, with 8 good members at least you can have a reserve and swap the team around a bit without anyone thinking just because i never picked them i don't need them.

At the end of the day in [SoF] clan if you play well against a good clan and lose but had fun trying thats all we ask.

W

wildthang

T'was much the same story with us as well. We were part of a UT clan and a bunch of us decided to defect due to UT becoming a bit stale and long in the tooth.

We originally started with 11 members, then had to promptly kick about 3 or 4 of them because they were seen about once a month and even then it would be a brief glimpse on IRC.

Things are slowly getting better tho. We've got a group of nine players who show up nearly every night of the week for a game or a bit of a natter on Wilco.

Plus we managed to slide into the league after a few no show clans were kicked out which boosted everyone's moral no end. Every Sunday is now eagerly awaited by the lads, and we have spent the last few weeks playing a few friendlies trying to get our team work together knowing full well that it's gonna be a hard ride in division 2.

Users who are viewing this thread