What are Mythic really doing?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Having looked over the news archive for the last month or so it doesn't seem they are doing pretty much, I know that EA have taken over, and there must be some reshuffling of priorities, but how long will it take.

The longer mythic take the longer Goa take to bring out patches and news of the next expansion, thats if the next expansion is coming out.

Here is the list of news for this last month, like Mythic are taking a leaf out of GoA news content, by putting jack shit worth while in there..

More Hot Fixes 2006-07-20 14:44:09
Hot Fixes 2006-07-19 13:21:41
Tech Support Closing Early Thursday, July 20 2006-07-18
San Diego, Baby 2006-07-18
Friday Grab Bag Rides Again 2006-07-14
Hot Fixes 2006-07-14
CS Needs YOU 2006-07-13
Servers Back! 2006-07-11
Today's Hot Fix 2006-07-10
Short! Friday! Grab! Bag! 2006-07-07
Official Roundtable Release 2006-07-06
It's My Grab Bag 2006-06-30
Patch Notes 2006-06-30
Oh, I Guess I Should Mention 2006-06-29
Billing and Tech Support Closed Mon. & Tues. 2006-06-29
Known Issue 2006-06-28
Custom UI Information 2006-06-27
Important Hot Fixes 2006-06-27
Servers Up! Sanya Thomas 2006-06-27
From the Desk of Mark Jacobs 2006-06-26
New Quest Journal and Custom UI - Update 2006-06-26
Notes for Tomorrow's Version 2006-06-26
Hot Fix Notes 2006-06-23
EAt a Snack From the Grab Bag 2006-06-23
Hot Fixes 2006-06-23
Notes! 2006-06-22
Servers Are Back! 2006-06-22
Master Level Display Problem 2006-06-22
Hot Fixes 2006-06-22
Note In the Wrong Place 2006-06-22

:m00:

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like they're doing a lot of hotfixes etc; seems like quite a lot to me tbh.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
It's summer. Even though they are americans, I do belive they have summer holidays too once awhile. :)

Even that, didn't Sanya mention something about the current period being rather hectic with the EA take over and sorting the next expansion?

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
I must admit, things on both sides of the pond have gone a little quiete, the friday news here has been pretty much just roleplay for the last few weeks, and 1.84 over there seems to be taking an absolute age to make, and so far has been full of things that are just small fixes and bling as opposed to major changes, other than things like valk love which seems to have been an ongoing project for some months.

Didnt jacobs promise us "business as usual!" after the announcement of the EA takeover, or have the goal posts moved signifcantly since then?

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
MesS° said:
So frigging what... :m00:
If you are not interested in the development of DAoC, dont bother posting just for a +1, some of us are interested in whats happning to our game.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
My mole inside Schloss Mythic has revealed the following tidbits:

* Sanya has OD'd on slushies and is now sojourning at the Betty Ford Slushie Unit. Experts say she was "only days away" from attaining critical slush mass and imploding.

* Mark Jacobs is reviving Imperator with the Romans-in-space theme replaced by Rodents-in-space, the new game to be called Imperhamstor.

Here's an exclusive sneak peek at the character selection screen, you can see the Praetorian Gerbil subclass here:

336.jpg

And one of the Epic mobs:

gerbil_hampster_attack.jpg

* Missy is being given advanced stunt elocution lessons, to ensure that she doesn't say "y'all" every third word.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
They keep delaying their damn expansion details at the moment. Their main announcements were going to be in June, then July, they've only got a week left until it'll be August! :(

I hope they're putting in lots of effort into getting back players at the end of the summer, populations have dropped quite badly and something to get players back again would be nice.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
GReaper said:
They keep delaying their damn expansion details at the moment. Their main announcements were going to be in June, then July, they've only got a week left until it'll be August! :(

I hope they're putting in lots of effort into getting back players at the end of the summer, populations have dropped quite badly and something to get players back again would be nice.

Agreed, the longer they wait the more damage they are doing as well because news and anticipation of expansions is what keeps alot of people playing. We have all noticed the population numbers drifting down over the last 2 months and yes it happens every year but not to the extent it has this year, EU alone has gone from 18k to 14k or close in just over 2 months and that is verging on 25% of the population. The last thing Mythic can afford is to be letting customers drift away, they need to be releasing some concrete information and they need to do it now before the rot sets in.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
cHodAX said:
Agreed, the longer they wait the more damage they are doing as well because news and anticipation of expansions is what keeps alot of people playing. We have all noticed the population numbers drifting down over the last 2 months and yes it happens every year but not to the extent it has this year, EU alone has gone from 18k to 14k or close in just over 2 months and that is verging on 25% of the population. The last thing Mythic can afford is to be letting customers drift away, they need to be releasing some concrete information and they need to do it now before the rot sets in.
Totally agreed, its bad enough they havnt bothered trawling for new blood, but loosing what they have got is daft.

At this rate, EA will just swallow up the dev team and soon we will hear (despite what MJ and ST have said) that they have abandoned DAoC altogether.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
I really don't think EA are going to close down the first MMO they buy up. Afterall, DAoC is currently the Mythic flagship. That may ofcourse change when WAR is released.

But, a more realistic change would be that the patches are officially slowed down. This is not the case right now, despite the summer slowness, but could very well be in the future.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:
I really don't think EA are going to close down the first MMO they buy up. Afterall, DAoC is currently the Mythic flagship. That may ofcourse change when WAR is released.

But, a more realistic change would be that the patches are officially slowed down. This is not the case right now, despite the summer slowness, but could very well be in the future.

The only reason EA bought out Mythic is due to the WAR license they got from Games workshop. EA would like an MMORPG on the scale and success of WoW, and they think that WAR can give it to them (this time).

I dont think EA will screw it up this time for the main reason that Games workshop, having built a reputaion over the last 20-25 years wont let it happen.

I have no doubt that DAOC will be around for at least 6 months after WAR is realesed, after that EA may slowly drop it if it is not profitable for them.

If on the other hand new players to WAR, become interested with DAOC and keep there subscriptions up then we might see more effort being put back into daoc, instead of what i think we be a token effort.

Mythic are of course going to say that they will continue to develop and bring out expansions for daoc, for the olny reason to keep there revenue ticking over till WAR.

It would be stupid for them to say "Due to WAR coming out and EA's switching priorities, we are not focusing on developing DAOC, a token effort will be made to keep those players happy"

i am not saying DOOOOOOMMMM, just that like WOW, WAR will be either a good or bad thing for DAOC, we will either get more players or less development..

we have already seen the state of Mythics news due to EA's involvement, hopefully they will release some information soon on the expansion, patches and keep the light at the end of the tunnel (however dim) in sight

:m00:

semanon

Fledgling Freddie
scorge said:
The only reason EA bought out Mythic is due to the WAR license they got from Games workshop.

I agree, the purchase had nothing to do with DAoC.

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
Dont you see it? DAOC is dying, look at the subscribtion numbers at US/Euro.

They want the same succes as WOW with Warhammer.

DAOC is to old now, dont expect new players, and why invest in an old game with an overal low population?

DAOC was fine at start, the bad advertisement and some expansions has ruined it. (pointing at TOA, buffbots, RA's, class imbalance)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
semanon said:
I agree, the purchase had nothing to do with DAoC.
Not true, DAoC proved that Mythic make good MMOs, their track record for popular online gaming speaks volumes from this "old" game.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
They all stuck in front of this strange machine :

250px-AntiqueCashRegister7.gif

semanon

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Not true, DAoC proved that Mythic make good MMOs, their track record for popular online gaming speaks volumes from this "old" game.

I'm supprised people actually believe that a huge company like EA would be interested in an ageing MMO with a stagnant player base. The only jewel in the Mythic crown is the player/dollar potential of WAR. They would have seen the amount of money Blizzard made with WoW and would be looking on with envious eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom