Website

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Guys,

Just about to set up a new website but am a bit "confused" with all of the jargon going about.

Basically, I want to have a website (like www.wibble.co.uk) and have a number of emails linked to that website

e.g.
contact@wibble.co.uk
enquiries@wibble.co.uk

website will be VERY basic to start with (main front advertising page with a link to a photograph gallery)

I looked at 123-reg.co.uk and it starts offereing ull kinds of crap like :

Add 123-reg web hosting
Add InstantSite
Add email accounts
WebFusion

the standard package offers :

At 123-reg you get more than just a name; each domain name comes with a free InstantSite homepage, full DNS control, email forwarding & web forwarding and access to an online control panel.

with "emailforwarding" does that mean I DONT get mail addresses like enquiries@wibble.co.uk ?

I want to make sure that I have everything I need instead of doing it "patchwork"

what I need is :

Basic Homepage with links to contacts and about pages
Email address like enquiries@wibble.co.uk
Photo Gallery

without spending the earth

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
mail forwarding basically is an address like joe@wibble.co.uk that will forward to your hotmail account for example, good because all your mail will be together, bad because when you reply to a message it wont reply from wibble it will be hotmail.

You basically want POP3 emails, something like a package from www.evohosting.co.uk will give you POP3 email as well as webmail (to access them it would be a simple case of having it linked to your outlook and also www.wibble.co.uk/webmail)

I use evohostings, its not the cheapest but i've had no problems with them whatsoever, it comes with unlimited POP3 email, mail forwarders and tons of software to help build your site

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Or if you use mail forwarding, the vast majority if ISPs will let you send mail 'from' an address other than your ISP designated one.

I use it for some domains, forwarding xxxxx@mydomain.co.uk to xxxxx@dsl.pipex.com (for arguments sake). When I pick the mail up in my POP3 mail client, I send any replies as normal but my account settings on the computer show mail as coming from xxxxxx@mydomain.co.uk.

Some ISPs are a bit funny about it (BT mainly) but you can get around it easily.

The way I personally have done it is to split my domain registration and hosting. I have domains bought through 123reg for example, and then change all the DNS settings to point at my webhost (web-mania), where I can set up unlimited email forwarding or pop3 mailboxes, at no additional cost to the cost of hosting.

In my case, I pay approx £7 for 2 years of .co.uk with 123reg, and about £30/year for my webhosting, which includes all my email forwarding and pop3 boxes.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've used Burton Hosting for a while and this will do everything you want and more.

Like most hosting companies, you also get cPanel into your hosting package. Which makes it very easy to manager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom