Web Software

P

pocketyoda

Hi all,

I want to start creating my own webpage - what is the best software to use - and any advice would be appreciated.

cheers guys

:D

P

PR.

Dreamweaver :)

Tis what I use at work while exercising my limited HTML skills

O

old.Jas

Dreamweaver is the daddy - no substitute for raw coding skills though

O

old.Jas

Nope - but judging my thier previous efforts (I think it was 5 that I meddled with) they will have to go some to beat DW

O

old.GreatDuLac

I am sorry, but I hate dream weaver(or however it is spelled)...

I like plane old notepad :) expect sometimes when I am editing large php files I use php edit...

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Jas
Nope - but judging my thier previous efforts (I think it was 5 that I meddled with) they will have to go some to beat DW

PCPRO said it was the most powerful but not as streamlined as DW.

O

old.Jas

Originally posted by GreatDuLac
I am sorry, but I hate dream weaver(or however it is spelled)...
You can have it in code mode for all the loverly coloured syntax

O

old.Jas

They certainally have had a hard look a projects cycle with those sitemap diagrams. Smartobjects are impressive, certainly leveraging their market penetration in other areas (PS & PDF).

They are still obviously behind MM though - copying the split view and 'breadcrumb' markup tree interface features.

They go on about WML support - but DW has had that since version 1 with the Nokia plugin.

bloat... ...the all-important end code
**Frontpage feature alert!**

O

old.Kez

On the downside, Macromedia's plans to put dreamweaver, ultradev & homesite in one package program is a kick in the teeth; given that the best program there (imo) wasn't even their work.

Now I'll never get leet new versions of homesite, minus the shitness of DW.

O

old.GreatDuLac

Bah, I don't need any color coding.... only thing that sometimes gets annoying is trying to edit a file over 100 KB is starts getting slow on my comp and its impossible to edit, so I use phpEdit which is free and has line numbering, and color coding... and whatever the heck I would need for sitting in my comp building away my websites...

I also use psp 7.0 trial, you can just set back the syetem clock b4 u start it up and it will work :)

O

old.[ESZ]Khan

I can't stand people who say they only code in notepad!!!! Its like they want an award, I know HTML and Raw code all my ASP apps but I still don't use notepad.

IMO Dreamweaver is the best software beacuse what you see in the editor is what you see on the webpage.

I have used Go Live 6 but its more live the old hot metal pro 6 that i used 4 years ago :)

Thanks,

Khan

O

old.Jas

Originally posted by [ESZ]Khan
I can't stand people who say they only code in notepad!!!! Its like they want an award
Hehehe

O

old.blackcow

dreampisser

dreamweaver

• good for tables, unless you try formatting them
  • good for placing "<font></font>" all over the place
  • good for placing "

</p>" all over the place
  • good for placing <div></div> where you least expect it
  • good for not actually including the <html><head> tags
  • good for placing meta tags you dont want
  • good fur putting those stupid <!--- comments on to your published page
  • good for letting you know it want's to open up mp3's in your right click in explorer, even though it fails miserably
  • good for writing javascript as though it was a stoned monkey strapped to a wall
  • good for making external stylesheets as unreadable as possible

using dreamweaver is like watching a three year old playing with lego

lego rocks, dreamweaver doesnt :(

ill have to give phpedit a go, i used textpad myself :)

O

old.[ESZ]Khan

If you can't use dreamweaver right that’s not our prob ;)

Khan

O

old.[ESZ]Khan

On a more serious note:

I want to start creating my own webpage - what is the best software to use - and any advice would be appreciated.

I would recommend dreamweaver because if used CORRECTLY it can make very good WebPages.

And of course another good thing about it is that a beginner will not be completely put off by using it.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/

They also have a 30 trial version which has all the features available, after all, its your preference in the end!

Hope this helps,

Khan

O

old.Devilfish2k2

Poketyoda: If you want to get started in coding your own html for webpages, i would get a programe called easyHTML plus it is free where dreamweaver costs u like £200 or somthing,
Once you've masterd bog standed raw html i would skip using dremweaver and go straight to Dreamweaver UltraDev which will show/help you code in ASP/XML/PHP !!!

If your looking for some good free webspace Lycos.co.uk has come up with a very good free package including PHP4+mySQL

Hope all of the above helps :clap:

S

(Shovel)

First web page I ever made was in MS Frontpage Express!

From there I was doing some by hand and then discovered Dreamweaver (2, at the time).

Dreamweaver 4 is a mighty piece of software, and being able to have the split view (code and WYSIWYG) is a long overdue enharncement.

However, I currently Use HTML-Kit as I've started learning PHP and found my core knowledge lacking as a result of DW abuse.
I'd recommend DW for manufacturing pages - especially the template feature which is great - but if you're learning make sure you learn what is going on inside!

Notepad? LOL. (*Hands out trophies*)

O

old.GreatDuLac

Yea... I get a trophy(LOL)...

I undretsnad that dream waver can *help* n00bs writing HTML, but once you KNOW the code like the back of your hand it is MUCH easier(IMO) and much cheaper(Not my opinion... its a fact) notpad is much easier. And if you really NEED some sort of thing to help u you should try phpEdit which has support for editing HTML files and has its own little thing that closes tags for you and such if you really want it... it save you ALOT of money.... I learned all my HTML through htmlgoodies and then just looking at the code for pages, I had to sort though all the crappy pages made using some editor that had way to much extra crap in them that just increased the file size and not much more... I saw one page have 50 lines of noting but:

<table border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0>
<tr><td></td></tr></table>

Of course it had tons of other crap in there but it actually DID nothing more than give the equivalent of & nbsp; if I can recall correctaly(forget what browser I was using...).

This will probably develop the same type of argument that you can get from Linux vs. Windows(I do prefer Linux but use Windows for games...hehe), so its just a matter of opinion and I usually find that the argument will last like that b/c u know how stubborn ppl can be.

E

Embattle

To refer to people who use programs like DW, Golive etc as noobs is a sign of stupidity.

O

old.Jas

All the largest web agencies use DW/GL - if not for production code, then for prototype code. Its obviously the WTG.

Its not your fault your stuck in 1997, you keep on hand coding - but let the professionals focus on the design and usability whilst you wade in tides of ASCII

O

old.GreatDuLac

I didn't mean to call all people who use DW a noob, sorry for that misconseption. The problem I see with it is the newbie web site designers go and use DW and never bother to learn the actual code and will have a very limited amount of capablilities(I do admit, people can do alot with DW if they know the HTML code as well). I say limited capabilities(I am sorry, but I can't speak for the newser versons b/c I never tried them) b/c it is hard to implant the HTML source code into a SSI file. You will have to sort through most of it and IMO I think it is much easier if you know your code back and forth so it is easier to put the code into a SSI.

I would say I use notpad b/c to me it id much more efficent. I don't work for any company for designing websites, nor do I plan to. I mainly design sites for clans or game fansites.

O

old.Jas

I understand what you mean - and people should definatly learn the basics of HTML before they start using DW/GL

However - for general design work a WYSIWYG editor is soooo much quicker and easier. Have a look at the latest version, and maybe design a test site in it... you might be surprised at the efficency of the code

O

old.GreatDuLac

Well I dled and tried out DW 4.0, and I will try out a few more things with it but as far as editing HTML I really couln't stand it 2 much. It could just be 2 late for me, but I don't think I can ever be converted over to any editor b/c I am to familar with the HTML code and I will try to edit it down... I also think there automated javascript for the mouseovers was a a bit over kill and the table system would take awhile to get used to, but like I said I can't be converted b/c I would rather just type the code in a few seconds then try to find the button that inserts the tag and then edit it. I think it could be usfull to make sure you end your tags, but if you use any good organization in your programing and have a good memory you should do fine without it. These are just some of my inital impressions, I think I will make a theme using DW for the site I am corruntly working on just for the heck of it... of course, I have to FINISH the first theme(converting from a no-theme system to one WITH themese takes almost an entire rewrite :()

Hehe, I just saw this similie and I think I like it alread, not directed towards anyone :upyours:

BTW, any1 know some good hosting under $10/month that includes maby 50+mb with php and mySql? My clan is looking to change providers soon and I have been looking around, thinking about it from getting: http://www.plaguenet.com (which is run by an online freind of mine) but the person who is paying is skeptical b/c they just started the buisness, in fact, I don't think you can even order it VIA browser yet :eek:

E

e_chrono

Frontpage is better for n00b's but the daddy's use Dreamweaver :D

T

Tempy_Incursion

Yeah it sure is, DW4 is great and Ultradev too if only it had PHP functionality as standard. :(

O

old.Jas

Don't get me started with UD - its the FrontPage of server side script

Users who are viewing this thread