Question Web development applications

- English -

Resident Freddy
What programs do most web designers and/or companies use nowdays, for web development / design. I hear the days of notepad are shortlived in "industry", but its the way I learnt, and moving over to something like dreamweaver gives me aches. If I was ever lucky enough to get a job in web development / design, im aware it would require knowledge of many different design applications.. any ideas on where to start messing around with them? Bare in mind the only web design etc I do is personal stuff, but I would like to try take it further.

Syri

FH is my second home
When I do any web pages, I use PSPad. It's completely free, and it's got all the code highlighting and tab spacing you'd need, including highlighting PHP, javascript and ASP code blocks. It's almost like dreamweaver's code side, but without it's clunky auto-formatting visual side.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I havent done much myself but it's a good idea to get a good text editor with code hinting for css, php, html, etc and going from there. Get some books and just learn. Dreamweaver and other WYSIWYG editors are all fine and dandy but they don't actually teach you whats going on under the bonnet and wont get you any brownie points on a CV I dont think.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
I use Dreamweaver, but learned the way you did. Infact I might aswell still use Notepad. In the end it's all about understanding "the code". The problem is there's a new code every 2-4 years orso (html5, flash, php, ajax, java, etc, etc).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I use notepad++ and programmer's notepad. and sometimes the editor in winscp if I really can't be arsed...

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I have used Dreamweaver, but every website I've ever developed commercially has been done in vi. Because I am. Fucking. Hard. Core.

Actually vi is pretty awesome and it could have been Emacs, so let's thank the Lord for small mercies eh?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
What programs do most web designers and/or companies use nowdays, for web development / design. I hear the days of notepad are shortlived in "industry", but its the way I learnt, and moving over to something like dreamweaver gives me aches. If I was ever lucky enough to get a job in web development / design, im aware it would require knowledge of many different design applications.. any ideas on where to start messing around with them? Bare in mind the only web design etc I do is personal stuff, but I would like to try take it further.

For design, anything with syntax highlighting will work. Notepad++/notepad2/vim/whatever. Absolutely no need to use anything more for writing HTML and CSS.

Development is a different issue. You can still get away with a basic syntax highlighting editor, but you really want to use an IDE such as Eclipse or Netbeans, which will offer extra features like auto-completion, parameter suggestions, coding mistake warnings, etc.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
I use notepad++ at work too pretty nice program to be fair

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
visual studio. i hate it but its what i used at uni so i'm used to it.

what is notepad++ like?

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Visual Studio or Dreamweave for me - i think there's a free version of visual studio that'll sort you out for html / css

Chilly

Balls of steel
use a real IDE, like eclipse with a PHP/JS set of plugins (or whatever you weapons of choice are). You make huge time savings with error highlighting and advanced navigation features.

If you've not used a high end IDE before, it will be difficult. But trust me, it's worth your time, many many many many times over.

IntelliJ IDEA is a java IDE, eclipse will do most languages - all free. Get on it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
yeah i like it. it's expensive here though, not going to be able to spend anything until i get a job really. not learnt a word of danish yet!

- English -

Resident Freddy
Haha yea, I was lucky enough to get a paperjob in Ballerup (not far form cph). Working nights, money aint so good in propotion here, but compared to UK its decent (about 150kr /h).

Let me know when/if you start to learn danish, can talk and help each other if you want. Im about 1.5 years of "learning" or should I say 1.5 years of trying to understand. Not really been studying it, i believe its something that has to come to you, and will takes years and years til you're fluent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom