*waves Daily Mail*

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
fgs. this pisses me off. blackboy hill is part of the history of bristol and shouldn't have its name changed just to please the kids father. if its name were changed that would be denying that the slave-trade even happened, and another group will kick up a fuss over that as well.
frankly, if the kid chose his own part, the parents shouldn't be so upset.
edit: if black kids will not be allowed to play monkeys in the future because of the racism that these parents are seeing, will that be racist?

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Oversensitive wankers. :rolleyes:

OH NOES A BLACK KID AS A MONKEY!

Jesus H christ! ITS A FUCKING SCHOOL PLAY.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
I dunno - one of the children apparently wanted to be a hunter.

It might be a storm in a teacup but let's be honest. I'm not sure how I'd react if I felt my child was being pigeon holed because of their size, weight, colour. I think most parents would over-react if they thought their child was upset over something like a school play. It might be 'just a play' to us but at primary age it's very important to kids.

The reporting is rather sensationalist but then most reporting is these days.

M

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
`mongoose said:
I dunno - one of the children apparently wanted to be a hunter.

So effing what??? If my kid was taking part in the play, I'd be right pissed off if he wasn't chosen for a speaking part because the teachers were scared not to give those roles to black kids... why the fuck should my kid be a monkey either, just 'cos he's white???

ECA

I am a FH squatter
School plays should be banned on principle, if its not for black kids being monkeys, white kids being monkeys because black kids cant be monkeys, its hordes of paedophiles videocamering the whole thing, totally sordid.

Oh wait, its a fucking school play and parents want to tape it.
Fuck on a stick.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
this is totally wierding me out : when I was a kid we had school plays. also we had asians, americans, indonesians, poles and all other sorts and types.

All us kids were worried about was that we weren't going to look like a lemon. We didn't give a toss any other way, just as long as nobody laughed when little Sally forgot her lines or little Chi-Hang dropped the lamp he was carrying.

Sure, at the christmas play, about half the kids wanted to be santa, and the other half wanted to be rudolph, but if I recall correctly the only thing that really sucked was that you couldn't be both at once, not who got to be what. Nobody gave a toss, our parents all got really smashed at the after-play festivities and we got to stay up late. there may have been some jealousy when Tony got to be the tree, but he was the tallest kid so it was logical.

where the hell is all the finger-pointing hate mongery coming from?

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Jesus. Race row? They're 4-7 years old for fucks sake! I played Aladdin when I was about 8 and there were no Asians complaining. Perhaps these kids are just shit actors? I hardly think they would've made Mr Sidney Poitier be a monkey.

This country...

Damini

Part of the furniture
Reminds me of the South Park episode, where the flag shows white guys stringing up a black guy, and all the kids see is someone being hung, and don't notice the colour at all.

If these kids were happy to be monkeys along with other white kids that were happy to be monkeys, then the horrible association was broken, and progress was made. And then Monsieur Outrage thrusts racism where there wasn't any, and starts it all again. It's like the union jack being associated with racism - well, that's only because the only people who aren't afraid to fly it are racists or people with a burning agenda. If you let the grannies and the the golf clubs and the veterans and everyone else fly it without kicking up a fuss, then you take the symbol back.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
its the same for everything that goes on with children tho

there is a problem...
it isnt the parents fault, obviusly...
the sun shines out of the child's arse so it cant be the problem

i know !

its racism !
its sexism !
its cos they play video games!
its cos they watch movies!

fuck off.

if a child cant act, then it cant act, regardless of what colour it is.
bring your children up properly and have more fucking commonsense.

i didnt even know what racism was when i was 6 , i obviously missed the Klan's prime recruiting age ;\

rynnor

Rockhound
haarewin said:
fgs. this pisses me off. blackboy hill is part of the history of bristol and shouldn't have its name changed just to please the kids father. if its name were changed that would be denying that the slave-trade

Actually the origin of the name pre-dates the slave trade and has nothing to do with Black people full stop - its named after an old Inn which was in turn named after Charles II who was in fact white.

I understand what happened in this case as its pretty common - parent A is convinced their child has great acting ability but the teacher doesnt think so and casts them in a non speaking role.

Parent A is upset - in this case Parent A decides to play the race card - all rather regrettable really - sadly you can bet these kids will get upgraded parts and the teachers will be too scared to not give decent parts to black kids from now on regardless of the kid - good old positive discrimination.

rynnor

Rockhound
On a related theme - has there ever been a white chairman of the Commission for Racial Equality?

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Jupitus said:
So effing what??? If my kid was taking part in the play, I'd be right pissed off if he wasn't chosen for a speaking part because the teachers were scared not to give those roles to black kids... why the fuck should my kid be a monkey either, just 'cos he's white???

I was actually responding a post earlier in the thread where it was implied the children wanted to be monkeys. In fact it stated in the article that they didn't. I wasn't stating that anybody should be given any role based upon colour.

Moving on from there it does appear as though everybody is assuming that this is an over-reaction, or that the children can't act or that it's just media sensationalism. Is it because of the tone of the piece itself or just a general cynicism that everyone in the UK is looking for someone to blame things on these days?

Personally - I don't know whether the school is racist per-se. The fact that the teachers discussed the parts before they assigned them makes me think they expected some form of complaint. Whether that's because this mother is a pain in the arse mum or not isn't really clear from the article.

M

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
My nickname amongst friends is monkey* and i find it offencive that these parents are making racists remarks about my species :p**

* Don't Ask

** NB not to be taken seriously I am infact both human and couldnt care less about this story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom