Watercooling in a Shuttle

J

Jonty

Hi Will.

It is possible, but it isn't pretty. You have to be prepared for some serious work to get it to work effectively.

Kind Regards

W

Will

I'm tempted to try it as a pet project, but if I have to rip the case apart to do it, I'd rather not bother.

W

Wilier

Heres a nice little review cum fitting guide

Heres a piccy of the finished article. Like Jonty says, not pretty, but do-able.

cool9.jpg

T

Testin da Cable

that looks like a disaster waiting to happen :(

W

Will

I'm not feeling quite that reckless. When it says things like "proof of concept" " noisy pump" and "cutting to clear obstructions" I steer clear.

Ah well.

M

Maljonic

hee hee, it said joining two nipples:)

going to work now...

E

Embattle

I thought about this myself, well I did have water cooling before my shuttle but in reality it would be fairly hard and most probably not be worth it.

You would have to locate a number of the components outside the case, like the radiator.

X

xane

With a case that size I'd be tempted to fit a closed "fish tank" to the top as the cooling reservoir, maybe even put fish in it too (isolated from the hotter water mind).

W

Will

Mmnnn, boiled goldfish.;)

Maybe a tropical tank would be better.

J

Jonty

Liquids and electrics just don't mix :p Ask the guy who overclocked his P4 3.06Ghz to over 4Ghz, only to have his liquid nitrogen setup spring a leak and destroy his $x,000 worth of kit :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

E

Embattle

Well liquid nitrogen is a little more risky, I ran my water cooling system in for some 24 hours just to check for leaks and after that it ran for ages and didn't leak a bit :)

You also wouldn't see a great performance gain using water cooling in a shuttle because you would have to use smaller parts, like rads.

W

Will

I'm just looking for ways to make the system as quiet as possible.

D

Deadmanwalking

Sorry :(

Best i can suggest is to clean it out regualry as it may not sound much but makes a HUGE difference.

After that theres always changing the fan on the back

W

Will

See, a much better contribution.

Any recommendations for a fan that is quieter and will still cool an XP 2500+? I think its an 80mm for a Shuttle, though I don't actually have it yet.

D

Deadmanwalking

Any standardish fans are fine in terms of airflow... what sort of temps u get atm?

E

Embattle

TBH you would be best off just sticking to the standard fan and using the latest BIOS so you can set it to a constant speed.

Y

Yaka

i think there was a guide on a water cooled shuttle on sudian.com looks very neat and Shuttle did display it on thier stand at a show.

S

smurkin

Originally posted by Embattle

You would have to locate a number of the components outside the case, like the radiator.

I hope you have small fingers and a microscope....just fitting a shuttle with normal parts is like keyhole surgery :p

E

Embattle

It is hard to get to various areas, for instance I removed the mobo so I could replace the northbridge HSF setup with just a HS....bastard to get the rear panel with the socket template on again.

T

Tom

Make it quieter in 5 easy steps

1. Knock out old fireplace

2. Put computer into gap

3. Route wires

4. Brick gap up

5. Plaster fireplace

W

Wilier

*ahem*

Will, have a look at these fans. Lots of airflow for very little noise.

May help a bit?

M

Maljonic

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]
Make it quieter in 5 easy steps

1. Knock out old fireplace

2. Put computer into gap

3. Route wires

4. Brick gap up

5. Plaster fireplace

or you could keep it in the fridge, with rewiring of course, so you wont be able to hear it and keep it cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom