WTF? Waste

rynnor

Rockhound
Bloke at work - in his late 20s - just recently married and with a kid.

Disappeared from work about August - told hes on special leave - tonight find out hes fired with immediate effect.

Turns out he and some mates got into a scuffle on a train when drunk and now he's serving 6 months.

Lost his job, will lose their house and probably his marriage - the justice system seems to go rough on people who make a single mistake but cant control actual criminals - just stupid :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
It's hard to judge the system without the facts. I have a mate who threw one punch in a fight but the guy hit his head and now has a mental age of 7. He got 18 months for that. The other guy will never live a normal life so it does not seem fair.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
if you cant control yourself then dont drink .. or suffer the consequences tbh ...

Oh sorry mate i lamped you and smashed your face in but let me off it was the first time ..

Too much drunken violence atm no sympathys here tbh

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Damn that justice system! Wait, facts? Who needs to hear those things?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Not to sound nasty but so what, we now have as many facts about it as you which isn't a lot.

People constantly waste their lives in stupid ways, always easier to blame something else than to actually stand up and accept that you are to blame.

rynnor

Rockhound
It's hard to judge the system without the facts. I have a mate who threw one punch in a fight but the guy hit his head and now has a mental age of 7. He got 18 months for that. The other guy will never live a normal life so it does not seem fair.

I think the aggravating factor was that it was on a train and the transport police prosecute where the normal police would just caution. No-one was injured requiring any hospitalisation, maimed etc. - just a scuffle - hes only a quietly spoken little guy.

Way to put a family on welfare justice system!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
With a wife, kids & a house you have responsibilities.

Embattle

FH is my second home
He put them on welfare, perhaps before people go and get tanked they should think about it.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
This situation aside, there are too many drunks and too many alcohol related incidents.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Put them in the workhouse.

Or if they're Scottish, the poorhouse.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I think the aggravating factor was that it was on a train and the transport police prosecute where the normal police would just caution. No-one was injured requiring any hospitalisation, maimed etc. - just a scuffle - hes only a quietly spoken little guy.

Way to be a responsible parent !!

Gumbo

FH is my second home

It's not the police, transport or otherwise, who choose whether to prosecute. It's the CPS. He wouldn't have to accept a caution, even if offered it.

I assume he had a solicitor?

Mey

Part of the furniture
The aggravating factor in my opinion is that he was fighting in an enclosed space, therefore not giving the victim chance to escape. Atleast if I was prosecuting that'd be the line i'd go for.

Seems like quite a high sentence for an asault, and given there was quite a few involved are you sure he wasn't charged with section 3: Affray?

Everz

FH is my second home
Oh look, the moral high horse has come out again. It's a fucked up justice system, it was a simple scuffle in which noone got hurt, it could a mate sticking up or one another, is that such a punishable crime?

The justice system is a pisstake and this is shown yet again.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
This situation aside, there are too many drunks and too many alcohol related incidents.
Yup, they should also sentence them to not to touch alcohol again.

Too many "nice" guys and gals just have to fight when drunk.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Must have been bad to get six months, they do try to keep people out of jail because of what happens..lose..job, house, wife, kids...end up criminal.

It's losing the job that's the problem, the courts need to work with employers, going to prison pretty well ends your normal working life.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Oh look, the moral high horse has come out again. It's a fucked up justice system, it was a simple scuffle in which noone got hurt, it could a mate sticking up or one another, is that such a punishable crime?

There's no moral high horse. We simply want the facts BEFORE we jump on the justice system's back. Some people don't need such petty things though as it feeds right into their anti-establishment/anti-authority insecure little minds.

soze

I am a FH squatter

I know a few BTP (my Dad is a Train Driver and some of them play in his poker game) and they are not Nazi's. They have to do as much paper work as any other officer. So if this is a innocent as it sounds "2 groups of guys push and shove then break apart" then no way they proecute as the CPS will throw that shit out in minutes. Something more serious has to of happened. Either a member of staff got caught up, substantial damage was done or something like a kick to the head happened. So as people have said we do not have enough information to so fuck the system.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
I know a few BTP (my Dad is a Train Driver and some of them play in his poker game) and they are not Nazi's. They have to do as much paper work as any other officer. So if this is a innocent as it sounds "2 groups of guys push and shove then break apart" then no way they proecute as the CPS will throw that shit out in minutes. Something more serious has to of happened.
Either a member of staff got caught up, substantial damage was done or something like a kick to the head happened. So as people have said we do not have enough information to so fuck the system.

Exactly. The CPS won't prosecute a case unless the evidence is there before them to have a reasonable chance of conviction. For that to be the case, the incident itself has to have been serious enough to warrant them not simply giving a caution.

In 20 years as a journalist in covering criminal courts, an unprovoked attack is the only thing that will usually guarantee a prison sentence. That or some kind of object has been used as a weapon. It is incredibly unusual to be sent to prison for six months for a "scuffle" in my experience.

Mey

Part of the furniture
"Public Order Act 1986 under section 3. The act states:

1. A person is guilty of affray if he uses or threatens unlawful violence towards another and the person's conduct is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety.
2. Where two or more persons use or threaten the unlawful violence, it is the conduct of them taken together that must be considered for the purpose of subsection (1)
3. For the purposes of this section a threat cannot be made by the use of words alone.
4. No person of reasonable firmness need actually be, or be likely to be, present at the scene.
5. Affray may be committed in private as well as in public places.

A person suspected of affray is subject to arrest, can be tried either way, and faces three years imprisonment and/or a fine on indictment; six months imprisonment and/or a fine summarily.

In recent years, the option to charge people with affray has been used as part of a strategy by HM Government to aggressively address problems with drunken individuals who cause serious trouble on airliners."

I reckon it's got to be a Affray he's been charged with.

rynnor

Rockhound
I looked it up - your right they were found guilty of affray - because there was more than one of them?

How much of a bar will this be to future employment for him? Anyone remember the rehabilitation of offenders act - I'm pretty rusty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom