Help Warranty question

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I bought a lens for my camera (Canon EF 50mm f/1.4) on the 25th of April last year, within the past month or so I've noticed that the focus isn't locking on properly and it's front focussing. After an extensive google (and thorough testing of the lens), it appears to be a reasonably common issue that is either fixed with a replacement lens or a repair after being sent to Canon.

Given it's not quite a year old, is it reasonable to expect a replacement lens or are they likely to insist on a repair by sending it off to Canon?

(bought from Jessops on the high street)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its unreasonable to expect them to replace it without first attempting a repair.

milou

Part of the furniture
Jessops used to be good about returns etc. Worth a punt.

old.user4556

Cheers guys, I'm happy with a repair to it as long as it works when I get it back!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
jessops still in business .. last i heard they werent doing so well

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Jessops first as your contract of sale was with them in the first instance.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Beyond the first year you need to take it up with the Manufacturer.

The good news is that by law you get a minimum 2 year warranty now (up to 6 years on some goods you expect to last), although a lot of manufacturers will try to weasel out of it. If they get shirty start talking about the Sale of Goods act and how goods must be 'as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality'.

old.user4556

I went into Jessops, started off as nice as pie, explained the situation with the misfocussing (front focus) under different colours temperatures and that I had no issues with my other lenses so it must be the lens at fault. I said "I bought it nearly a year ago".

The bloke sucked through his teeth and said "wellllllll if it's over a year old then there's nothing we can do about it". I said "sorry you misheard, it's not quite one year old". He sucked through his teeth again and said "welllllll usually we can't do an exchange or refund past thirty days.....". There was a long pause as I tried to prevent myself ripping him a new one - I said "This lens does not focus properly - this lens is faulty and I would like you to do something about this for me please". Again, he sucked through his teeth and said "well it will need to go to Canon for repair".

"Fine". I should get it back in three weeks.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Beyond the first year you need to take it up with the Manufacturer.

The good news is that by law you get a minimum 2 year warranty now (up to 6 years on some goods you expect to last), although a lot of manufacturers will try to weasel out of it. If they get shirty start talking about the Sale of Goods act and how goods must be 'as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality'.

Sorry but generally trying to quote this and that won't work, in essence just be nice but stick to you guns. I would say if possible normally you are better to deal with the manufacturer directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom