WARNING - Newbie question!

O

old.DrFaust

OK, this might be a newbie question or not.

If i have a webserver, how do you give it a .com (or equivilent) address instead of an IP address. I know it has something to do with DNS but not too sure how.

Can anyone help?

Cheers!

T

Testin da Cable

mmm one would have to register a domain name [like mydomain.com for instance] at a thing called a registar. network solutions is prolly the most well known but there are many so shop around.

next, or more accurately, parallel to this you need to get friendly with a DNS server near you that will point your newly registered domain to your IP number. A good place to get some info would be granitecanyon.com, which is a good DNS service.

there are also nice services who do all of the above for you, for a modest fee. gandi.net is one of the european ones. I personally use centralinfo to point my domain [alphanor.org]to my IP.

-tdc

/EDIT/
centralinfo are no longer accepting free DNS service requests due to some idiots fscking around with them heh. goes to show innit :( too bad tho as their service was top-notch all the way. you can get basic service for only $10 usd per annum so still pretty ok imho :)
\EDIT\

O

old.DrFaust

Thanks.. sounds a little outa my league at the moment :)

I shall stick with the shocking IP address :)

Cheers

O

old.-=OD=-

I recommend you use a simple tool called DynDNS (www.dyndns.com) You can pick a name, and then use a bit of client software, so that your webserver will be called a name. I use it, it's good

T

Testin da Cable

but wouldn't you have to use a subdomain of dyndns?
you know, like myserver.dyndns.com or something?

O

old.-=OD=-

Yeh, u get a sub-domain. Want the long winded way to get a proper .com? here we go:

first of all you need a static IP. this rules out most people, so we are left with a few people on ISDN, ADSL, Cable, and Leased Line.

In order to have a .com, you need to have 2 pcs permently connected to the net. One is your primary nameserver (use a distro of linux is best i find), the other can be your webserver. Then you need to buy the domain you want to use. Then use a company like granitecanyon.com for your secondary nameserver. Then you need to tell the authorative companys where your DNS servers are so when the ISP's update their DNS, they know where abouts your webserver is on the web. I could go into greater detail, but its been a while since I last did this (i actually got it working once!) so this info may be out of date. Keep in mind, if you are going to have a webserver online 24/7, its a big security risk, make sure u use a good hardware firewall. Also keep in mind, is your connection to the net fast enuff for the amount of people who will be browsing your server? I recommend at least a DSL or Cable, or maybe Dual ISDN, better yet would be a leased line.

Its stuff like this which makes you realise why their are companys who do all this for u.

O

old.DrFaust

Thanks.. thats cleared it up quite a bit but I have a few things which i wanna run past you..

Do you have to have 2 PC's? I have 2 but i dont particully (hmm) want to use it as a webserver or nameserver. I have Dual ISDN at the moment and a Software Firewall. Not the best setup at the moment but things can change.

Compnaies do offer these services a lot of the time, but they are so expensive for the things that i would like to use. MySQL is so expensive these days and I just dont have the money.

Thanks for your advice and anymore you have on the subject of web servers would be much apreciated.

Cheers!

O

old.-=OD=-

just buy a cheapo 486 for your DNS server

O

old.DrFaust

Considering that I know bugger all about PC prices these days and that I'm on a reasonably low budget, how much for 486's go for these days?

O

old.DrFaust

I'm running a lowly 128K ISDN.. As soon as ADSL somes to my area, I have my name down for one :)

But just ISDN at the moment.

T

Testin da Cable

mmm I wouldn't advice running servers on that m8eh, wait till you get DSL :)

O

old.DrFaust

Its not going to be an "always on" server. Just to hold a bit of database that some people can acess now and again.

O

old.RaNg3r

Low Cost Hosting

There's a company I use as a web-host and shell host so I can play around with internet things (lol). Very low cost:

standard features

1gb data transfer (per month)
perl5 and php4 support
dedicated cgi-bin
ssh and ftp access
site usage stats
your own subdomain
single pop3 mailbox
e-mail support
fast, low latency connection
hosting prices

10mb non-commercial - £2 /month
10mb commercial - £4 /month

mysql db - £1 /month
commercial mysql db - £2 /month
extra 1gb data transfer - £3 /month

------

So, basically, £3/month for a non-commercial site with mySQL. Pretty decent prices and so far, their uptime has been great. Its a new service though - about a month old. Seems good though, and they have staff on IRC @ irc.barrysworld.com #lchost

Their web-site is www.lchost.co.uk. They will host your domain and point it to you're web-space for you.

(By the way, I don't work for this company lol, the owner is called Ed - You'll see him in #lchost :p )

Hope this helps.

S

]SK[

i make a little server over my cable modem for my clannies to mess about on on conc maps
found here: housemuzic.d2g.com
i got a max of 6 players (me taking one) cause if 6 players come onto it everyone gets pings of 1000.
I only got a 128k upload. They do say 256 is the minium really for a server. That should mean that at least 12 could get on with hardly any lag.

O

old.technostorm

Re: Low Cost Hosting

Originally posted by RaNg3r
There's a company I use as a web-host and shell host so I can play around with internet things (lol). Very low cost:

standard features

1gb data transfer (per month)
perl5 and php4 support
dedicated cgi-bin
ssh and ftp access
site usage stats
your own subdomain
single pop3 mailbox
e-mail support
fast, low latency connection
hosting prices

10mb non-commercial - £2 /month
10mb commercial - £4 /month

mysql db - £1 /month
commercial mysql db - £2 /month
extra 1gb data transfer - £3 /month

------

So, basically, £3/month for a non-commercial site with mySQL. Pretty decent prices and so far, their uptime has been great. Its a new service though - about a month old. Seems good though, and they have staff on IRC @ irc.barrysworld.com #lchost

Their web-site is www.lchost.co.uk. They will host your domain and point it to you're web-space for you.

(By the way, I don't work for this company lol, the owner is called Ed - You'll see him in #lchost :p )

Hope this helps.

I work for a web hosting/domain regsistration company, and we can't afford to charge that low a price, so the question is: What's the catch

O

old.DrFaust

Well, thanks for everyones input.

But, I was wondering how I could set up my own server.

Ive looked at hosting and tbh, I cant be doing with it. If i have my own server, I can specify exactly what I need in it and what I dont.

T

Testin da Cable

my column will have a 'n00bs' guide to setting up apache in a week or so. if you like I could do the same thing for mySQL after that.
mind you, it's all on linux.

S

SoWat

it's all on linux

Pah!

Seriously, I'd like to see a simple guide to running cgi/perl on Apache. It runs fine on my xitami server, but Apache is a bit more fussy, or not, who knows? ;)

O

old.DrFaust

Testin_da_cable, If you did that, I know a lot of people who would appreciate it (inc. me) and would attract a lot of attention. Finally, someone whos willing to write a decent guide to these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom