[Warning] Auction House Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

abjorn

Fledgling Freddie
I've noticed some players on Stormscale/Horde that is trying to "trick" other players to pay unreasonable prices for cheap items. For an example i've seen one person put 2 stacks of potions for 29 silver and a 3rd stack for 29 Gold.

I think this is a very cheap "trick" to earn som easy money from players that buy large amount of items for buyout price. I just want to warn everyone to be extra careful when they buy items at buyout.

I've reported everyone that tried to do this so Blizzard can make it stop. And I hope that you will do the same thing!

If i see more of this i will put the names here.

:flame:

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
I sure hope Blizzard don't react on ur request. In fact, I think their view on it is the same as mine... If ppl r stupid enuf to just click Buyout then by all means... Let 'em!

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
See this in almost every online game, bit lame really.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Happened to me in daoc, just merrily clicking away till i realised what had happened, and i pm-ed the owner of the house and said what had happened and he have me the difference back :D

yes i am a thickie for not noticing

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
You mean, if I set a price that is high for materials not worth that much, you report me?

Holy cow, people report others for not reading the silly prices.

I don't get it how 1 can be guilty for setting a price (?!) YOU didn't read.

I also met the 3p mana heal potion in daoc thank you, I always read prices before buying. Gotta be vigilant, and that's it.

Reporting people for this is just silly.

Ceryseth

Fledgling Freddie
In daoc u couldnt see the difference in between silver and plat at the start but in WoW, u must b really blind if u cant see the difference in between the colour silver and gold :eek6:

But yeah, it is lame.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Lothandar said:
You mean, if I set a price that is high for materials not worth that much, you report me?

Holy cow, people report others for not reading the silly prices.

I don't get it how 1 can be guilty for setting a price (?!) YOU didn't read.

I also met the 3p mana heal potion in daoc thank you, I always read prices before buying. Gotta be vigilant, and that's it.

Reporting people for this is just silly.

Difference is that one behaviour is careless, the other is lame and a bordeline scam. But, I think Blizzard has stated they wont do anything about "ingame" scams, so i would be surprised if they acted upon these things. So i guess your advice of reading carefully is a good one.

Maybe there should be a dialouge box pop-up when you buy something that the system deems heavily overpriced, asking if you really want to buy it.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
wtf how is it a scam? if i goto a shop and they sell a CD for £10 but it is only worth £5 how am i being scammed? i just goto the next shop and pay the correct price.

all i can do is laugh at you if you dont read the prices. the funnier thing is you will report someone else because your the one being stupid, its fucking priceless man!

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
It may not be honourable but, as said, it's certainly not against any rules. It does however happen that player's put the Buy Out price in the gold box instead of silver (by accident). :)

machine989

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
wtf how is it a scam? if i goto a shop and they sell a CD for £10 but it is only worth £5 how am i being scammed? i just goto the next shop and pay the correct price.

all i can do is laugh at you if you dont read the prices. the funnier thing is you will report someone else because your the one being stupid, its fucking priceless man!

If you cant see the difference between selling a product for a price YOU dont accept and the cheap scam Abjorn was talking about you might consider to donate all your organs to science cause you must be clinically braindead.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:

It isnt about it being the wrong price, it is where someone puts 10 stacks up on the ah and makes one of them higher priced. The intent is most often then that people will just spam the buyout button having checked the price of most of the stacks and assuming all of them would be the same price.
Yes it is stupid to buy it, but it has nothing to do with overpricing some item. And it does border on scamming, as the seller is trying to mislead the buyer.

Also cant you sort out items on price? So when you want to buy alot of the same items and are suspicious of this, sort the page out on price. So if any of the items have a different price they wont be in the list?
However the page could off course be build on the bid price and not buyout :( .

Keitan

Banned
Driwen said:
It isnt about it being the wrong price, it is where someone puts 10 stacks up on the ah and makes one of them higher priced. The intent is most often then that people will just spam the buyout button having checked the price of most of the stacks and assuming all of them would be the same price.
Yes it is stupid to buy it, but it has nothing to do with overpricing some item. And it does border on scamming, as the seller is trying to mislead the buyer.

Also cant you sort out items on price? So when you want to buy alot of the same items and are suspicious of this, sort the page out on price. So if any of the items have a different price they wont be in the list?
However the page could off course be build on the bid price and not buyout :( .

There is no scam, and its debatable as to whether it is deception. The price on any item on the AH is crystal clear, it is human error on the buyers part if they fall foul of this tactic. Blizzard won't, and quite honestly can't do anything about this, since players are free under the AH system to set whatever price they want on their goods.

Caveat emptor, and so on.

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
This is very lame but its not against the CoC so Blizzard wont do anything about it. People can sell any items for whatever price.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Example

Not a scam attempt, just a silly price:

<20 linnen cloth> 20g

A "scam" attempt:

<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20g
<20 linnen cloth> 20s
<20 linnen cloth> 20s

Note the prices are just made up numbers, i have no idea what 20 linnen goes for :)

Eemma

Fledgling Freddie
Lighten up people, you dont actually have to flame him because he just wanted to warn you o_O

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Eemma said:
Lighten up people, you dont actually have to flame him because he just wanted to warn you o_O
Ofc we have to! Its our right, no DUTY, as devoted MMORPG players to flame any1 who dares step aside the pack and be different!

BEWARE! :wanker:

tris-

machine989 said:
If you cant see the difference between selling a product for a price YOU dont accept and the cheap scam Abjorn was talking about you might consider to donate all your organs to science cause you must be clinically braindead.

but if YOU looked at the price, YOU wouldnt accept a price that YOU dont want to accept. doesnt make sense? then you will know what it looks like on our side, where we laugh at your sillyness for not looking :p

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
People often get scammed due to sillyness or naivety. So that someone has to act stupid for it to work, means that it cant be a scam is hardly true. Most scams in mmorpgs are easily avoidable, but doesnt mean they arent a scam nonetheless.

And no one is denying that is allowed, it was meant as a warning for people to read the prices carefully. As there are people who will try to deceive you by putting up 4 items costing xx silver then one with xx gold and then 5 more costing xx silver again (or some other order).
Anyway you can find it a scam or not, it is still good for starters to get an extra warning to be careful when using the AH.

tris-

if someone is silly enough not to look at prices and trust a stranger, then i dont see how its a scam.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's not against the CoC but it is definitely, in most cases, an attempt to fool people into paying more than they should for an item. In my view it's pretty lame but these games attract all sorts of people so *shrug*. Last night I saw someone had put up auctions for about 5 lots of 20 copper bars and in the middle of them was a batch of 5 copper bars at the same price (I almost bought them by mistake)... this is another way people might try the same trick.

Yes, buyer beware, but don't set about the original poster for bringing this to peoples attention. I'm closing this now because too many of you are feeling flame-happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom