Warhammer Online cancelled!

Anastasia

Can't get enough of FH
I know - what a pisser. Just seen it on our guild boards. Another one bites the dust.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
That looked like it was going to be so sweet, too...dark and bloody. They got so close, too, about to start the Beta test going...the E3 movie looked amazing, too.

Shit this is bad news.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
my brother work at Games Workshop. Phoned him today about it and he is gonna check it up why it was cancelled. His first thought was that it was some problems with Sega

Sigurd

Banned
Perhaps they were planning on charging the playerbase £25 per month and realized no-one would bother? Games Workshop have a beautiful history of that kind of bullshit... I've lost count of the number of people I know who stopped playing the tabletop game because the prices just went up and up... I remember playing a MUD called Wolfenburg in beta... stopped when I realized I'd have to pay £10 a month to play an imagination based game :clap:

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:
Perhaps they were planning on charging the playerbase £25 per month and realized no-one would bother? Games Workshop have a beautiful history of that kind of bullshit... I've lost count of the number of people I know who stopped playing the tabletop game because the prices just went up and up... I remember playing a MUD called Wolfenburg in beta... stopped when I realized I'd have to pay £10 a month to play an imagination based game :clap:

Guess what you're playing now :rolleyes: (only differance being the actual vision is projected on your screen and making you even more lazier cause you are using even less brain now (j/k) :p)

Sigurd

Banned
Khale said:
Guess what you're playing now :rolleyes: (only differance being the actual vision is projected on your screen and making you even more lazier cause you are using even less brain now (j/k) :p)

So the only difference is you can see things? Hmm well I'd say being able to see is quite a big difference :p

Sarnat

Fledgling Freddie
Was probably crappy since it got canceled. No one cancels a good game.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
Table top version was a wargame, the realy RPG of the warhammer world was WHFR which would of made a great MMORPG if they had use the WHFR rule set. Problem is Games Workshop sold it off a while ago (probably because you don't need minitures for most of it). Great thing about WHFR was a new character could kill even the most advanced character if he was to walk up behind him and stab him in the back.

The Movie looked ok, but in the end it was all rendered up promo stuff. It did also look a bit too much like WOW, and without the ability to play as Orcs, Skaven, Dark Elves etc PvP would be a bit limited (seeing as you'd only be beating up on your allies really).

TayThorian

Fledgling Freddie
Actually GW never sold WHFR Rule set. They put it out under license to a company called Hogshead publishing. They then took it back, and have since put it our again to a much more established RPG Company called Green Ronin. So expect to see a Revised WHFR & WH40K RPG early to mid next year.

As for why stop developing a game if its good, then perhaps it was just costing way to much money, and with all the other games already established or coming soon, they just decided it was not going to be long term cost effective.

Norcen MightyTwig

Fledgling Freddie
Balbor said:
Table top version was a wargame, the realy RPG of the warhammer world was WHFR which would of made a great MMORPG if they had use the WHFR rule set. Problem is Games Workshop sold it off a while ago (probably because you don't need minitures for most of it). Great thing about WHFR was a new character could kill even the most advanced character if he was to walk up behind him and stab him in the back.

The Movie looked ok, but in the end it was all rendered up promo stuff. It did also look a bit too much like WOW, and without the ability to play as Orcs, Skaven, Dark Elves etc PvP would be a bit limited (seeing as you'd only be beating up on your allies really).

erm by table top thats what i meant, not the crappy figures one. the real role playing game

Anastasia

Can't get enough of FH
Balbor said:
Great thing about WHFR was a new character could kill even the most advanced character if he was to walk up behind him and stab him in the back.
Aye, the critical hits table was well nasty! Couldn't really see it being popular in a MMOG though.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Balbor said:
The Movie looked ok, but in the end it was all rendered up promo stuff.
No, it was all in-game footage. I've been in the Climax offices, I've seen it running on a PC, it genuinely looks that good. Or looked.
PvP would be a bit limited
Who said anything about PvP?

York

Fledgling Freddie
My mate is gonna soo miffed at this, he was really looking forward to it! :touch:

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
Anastasia said:
Aye, the critical hits table was well nasty! Couldn't really see it being popular in a MMOG though.

i was GMing for some m8 and they were trying to cut a ring of this hand and ended up cutting his head off.

I like the 'you will die in D6 rounds due to massive blood loss'.

Would only be unpopular because you can't really become 'no-fear' uber!

Calamore

Fledgling Freddie
"remeber when Microsoft came down from the US and we did not have enough people on PC's so we pulled people from the streets to fill seats"

lol

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
TayThorian said:
Actually GW never sold WHFR Rule set. They put it out under license to a company called Hogshead publishing. They then took it back, and have since put it our again to a much more established RPG Company called Green Ronin.

Not much more established. Green Ronin (iirc) was started up when AD&D got revamped, and started out just doing D20 type stuff, with some well received modules et al. Hogshead had been going a _lot_ longer, and had done some nice work with the WFRP books, then James Wallis decided to pretty much get out of the business.

That's when the licence was relinquished. I thought GW still held the licence and were planning on publishing the next edition themselves though ... ohwell.

It was always a very atmospheric game. Oddly enough, warcraft shares a bit of the look and feel, with the wierd technology and punk dwarves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom