Warhammer Beta to close til December

minocycline

Fledgling Freddie
Does anyone know if they plan to do the same thing euro wise as with daoc ie:

1) Translate into different languages (well half of the text anyway leaving the rest still in english) or let us pick language of UI

2) Delay patches over here while they do so

Since every other mmorpg either doesn't bother to translate because their target audience share a common language or manage to translate in time to patch simultaneously, I'd like to know before I commit to euro servers.

I assume someone on staff can give a bit of feedback? what are the current language options on UI please?

Once bitten twice shy as they say.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Since every other mmorpg either doesn't bother to translate because their target audience share a common language or manage to translate in time to patch simultaneously, I'd like to know before I commit to euro servers.

Hope they learn from Codemaster/Lotro team,they translate to French & German and patch comes 2 days later than on USA :drink:

Roffe

Fledgling Freddie
Does anyone know if they plan to do the same thing euro wise as with daoc ie:

1) Translate into different languages (well half of the text anyway leaving the rest still in english) or let us pick language of UI

2) Delay patches over here while they do so

I assume someone on staff can give a bit of feedback? what are the current language options on UI please?

Once bitten twice shy as they say.

GOA is running the beta in five languages- english,spanish, german,french and italian, so I think that the quality of the translations should be good come release.

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/warhammer308/222104-guild-beta-contest.html#post3234428

Mythic has said the they will patch NA and EU at the same time- With the timezone differance EU will probably get the patch 1 day later then NA, just like it is in WoW.

minocycline

Fledgling Freddie
So will language be player selectable or will it be that if you play on the German server you play in German etc etc?

Draig

Fledgling Freddie
Mythic has said the they will patch NA and EU at the same time- With the timezone differance EU will probably get the patch 1 day later then NA, just like it is in WoW.

Both EQ and WoW EU, I Know EQ for definate applied EU patches a day later . Mythic may promise this but for the above games Sony and Blizzard looked after their respective EU games, we still have GOA to contend with and lets just hope they have learned how to patch since DAOC :)

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Both EQ and WoW EU, I Know EQ for definate applied EU patches a day later . Mythic may promise this but for the above games Sony and Blizzard looked after their respective EU games, we still have GOA to contend with and lets just hope they have learned how to patch since DAOC :)
Patch delay = Mythic. From an old interview with Matt Firor:

Q: You mentioned that the european version of DR will be released a couple months after US. Whas Mythics position about the rather large delay between EU and US patches and are there any actions planned to reduce those delays?

A: The delay is obviously rather long. But we´re the ones to blame here, not GoA. The reason is, that our translation tools are not the best. We´re doing our best to accelerate the process or translation and aim to reduce the gap between EU and US to one month (it´s 3-4 months currently). We´re working together with GoA to smoothen the process of localization. We´re aware that it´s frustrating and got a bad concience about that.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I bet my socks Order of the Knights Templar got a guild invite.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Perhaps EA have learnt from their previous mistakes (/waves to SWG)?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought it was SOE thats running SWG, not EA. or did EA do that at the start or something?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
we still have GOA to contend with and lets just hope they have learned how to patch since DAOC :)

i never did mind that the DAoC patches were so far behind. made both Mythic and GOA be able to sort out most of the badass bugs before the europe servers got the patch.

sure there was times where i wished they would hurry the hell up already, but in the end we never got even 1/10:th of the downtimes that the US servers got because of sloppy coding on the patches.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I always thought it a bit naff that I could consult online game-guides for info about the patch we only just got.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
i never did mind that the DAoC patches were so far behind. made both Mythic and GOA be able to sort out most of the badass bugs before the europe servers got the patch.

Getting Toa few months later really did hurt if you ask me tbh,we had full set of guides how to do each arti/ml encounter and didin't have to think for a second for what to do next.

that i am saying Toa pve was perfect but it could have been much nicer if you actually would had to think "so there is this riddle how i should do this encounter,let's think how this thing works!" instead of "we need to go here and then there and then back here."

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I completely agree Downanael - a lot of the fun of finding out how things works just wasn't there for us :(

However, the flipside to that is we got ToA at 1.67 - the yanks got it at version 1.66...

1.67 was a bugridden nightmare - just imagine what 1.66A through M (live versions not pendragon) were like ;)

The Camelot Herald

(random fact: ML 1.1 used to be the Krojer challenge, however the mile-long queues of people who didn't realise you could do 1.2-1.9 first meant it got moved to 1.5 for the version we got ... in version 1.66 you couldn't use djinn stones without having gained a few MLs first - and there weren't any in the havens, you had to take the boats between havens - not fun when you're running late for an ML raid a long time before /bg grantcredit ;))

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
I heard there were a lot of problems at the launch of ToA (That was when i quit, why do games developers think adding more grinding is extending a games life, it just makes me /quit. But i'll leave that gripe :) ) But yeah it would have been a lot worse if it hadn't already been released for the US servers.

The blatant favouristism the MMO world shows the US market works in our favour lets face it. They alpha test, problems get fixed cos of all the complaining on their forums, we beta test and eventually we all get something that almost works. I never had a problem with the americans getting patches before us, it just used to irritate that we had to wait for french/german translations, when i played on an english server. The patch was already in english after all.

minocycline

Fledgling Freddie
Well, lots of answers to lots of questions but not the one I wanted an answer to...

Basically will I be able to play on any european server in my own language?

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Well, lots of answers to lots of questions but not the one I wanted an answer to...

Basically will I be able to play on any european server in my own language?

afaik there is english,german,french,spanish and italian language servers in EU

Edit: that means u cant play on an english server and having italian language for example

Nate

FH is my second home
I completely agree Downanael - a lot of the fun of finding out how things works just wasn't there for us :(

However, the flipside to that is we got ToA at 1.67 - the yanks got it at version 1.66...

1.67 was a bugridden nightmare - just imagine what 1.66A through M (live versions not pendragon) were like ;)

The Camelot Herald

(random fact: ML 1.1 used to be the Krojer challenge, however the mile-long queues of people who didn't realise you could do 1.2-1.9 first meant it got moved to 1.5 for the version we got ... in version 1.66 you couldn't use djinn stones without having gained a few MLs first - and there weren't any in the havens, you had to take the boats between havens - not fun when you're running late for an ML raid a long time before /bg grantcredit ;))

I thought grant was added a few patches later aswell?

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
afaik there is english,german,french,spanish and italian language servers in EU

I can understand French servers but why Germans get their ones aswell? what i seen they speak/write English pretty good and should be able to keep up on english ones aswell.

Nate

FH is my second home
Why do you think Downanael? Thats a really silly question. If 90% of British people spoke perfect German would you not expect an English language server? 10% of the country isn't exactly a meaningless minority.

Besides the fact that German servers will most likely have a higher population then English servers, going from GOA's history.

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
It's true, there were a lot more servers in DAoC for the French and German players because there were more players from those countries. GOA had advertised there. I'd expect a few more English Language servers this time, as it's Warhammer and there's been advertising this time. I'd expect something similar this time however, English, French, German, Spanish and Italian (don't think the Italian client will be totally seperate this time however).

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
There will be separate servers in each of the supported languages - English, French, German, Spanish and Italian.

Something to remember is that a lot of players will come from countries that traditionally aren't a big market for online games because of GW's popularity in those areas. Warhammer is massively popular in Italy and Spain for example.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought it was SOE thats running SWG, not EA. or did EA do that at the start or something?

Apologies, was badly worded. Your quite right, EA don't run SWG, never have.

Was referring to large companies in general who had pushed the released of games before they were ready (semi-cryptic poke at SoE), but I can see I worded it slightly wrong :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Besides the fact that German servers will most likely have a higher population then English servers, going from GOA's history.

but DaoC had a massive PR campaign in france and germany when that go released, and almost none in the rest of the europe (comparativly speaking). thats why they had better population then the english community.

MMORPG's have a tad higher userbase then what it had 5+ years ago, and with warhammer being such a big brand i dont think there's gonna be that big difference in population language wise. besides, its actually gettng advertised in ALL of europe, not just in germany/france and US as with DAoC.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Apologies, was badly worded. Your quite right, EA don't run SWG, never have.

Was referring to large companies in general who had pushed the released of games before they were ready (semi-cryptic poke at SoE), but I can see I worded it slightly wrong :)

hehe, i was starting to wonder there a while ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I thought grant was added a few patches later aswell?

grantcredit was probably a year after we first got ToA, was just pointing out that having to take a boat across the ocean to get to a raid if yer running late is a bit of a pain (and unlike these days you'd miss out on the credit)

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
I rather take that than going ld just when people start to kill Medusa on ml3,back on times when it took ages to do...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
is this still on target for more beta glee in december and so forth ? or has something awful happened that isnt being spread around and its slipped till 2009 ?
:cheers:

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
I can understand French servers but why Germans get their ones aswell? what i seen they speak/write English pretty good and should be able to keep up on english ones aswell.

No German people don't speak/write English well in general. There are a few exceptions, and they outnumber the exceptions on the French side, but further Germans are also too lazy to learn another language, getting every movie you can immagine in their own language with funny-speaking actors as a result. So that's why. Because they're pretty silly in general.

Reall, it's for the best, you don't want an English server crowded with germs. They just start making their own germ-speaking guilds and speak germish with eachother, and you won't understand a word they say. I will, but I don't want to speak germish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom