Impressed Wargame: European Escalation

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Anyone but me play this?
http://wargame-ee.com/

RTS, but definitely not StarCraft-memorize-build-orders-click-fast-to win. More along the lines of the Close Combat series (which I loved way back then), the graphic are excellent and the atmosphere is terrific.

I've only played it for a few hours but I'm hooked to the point where the wife wants me to play Skyrim again since I slip into 'the zone' as soon as the Leopard 1's are moving across the map.

The game tells stories by creating a connection to your imaginary troops. Morale is a strong factor in W:EE.

In one game I had a pair of Cobra attack helicopters. The pilots started as rookies in the initial deployment phase.

For the entire game I carefully used them at hot spots to repel the red tide. In the end, they made Top Gun Tom Cruise look like a pussy, sweeping in, skimming over tree tops, shredding mot. infantry with their chain guns and routing and damaging tanks with their Hydras. Veritable angels of death.

But then, near the end of the game I got sloppy. I had them on their final attack run near a bridge that was threatened by Soviet motorized infantry and had failed to notice that they'd pass near a village I hadn't reconnoitered properly (good recon is vital. There is no actual fog of war.. just T72's knocking down your command vehicles, blowing up your FOB's and smoking your Lucky Strikes if you don't pay attention).

They got shot down by MANPAD infantry over that village.

I actually felt going pale. I didn't save... since there's no save game irl.
Retribution was swift in the form of 8 155mm tracked howitzers raining death on the village for 5 minutes.
It was terrible and it was awesome to feel such ownership.

I rarely feel this strongly about games anymore. :D

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
yarp, few of my lots have got it

its more like World in Conflict than anything else
quasi realistic, very, VERY big maps, excellent graphics, it zooms from man-in-field to satellite overview, well worth a look

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
quite liked world in conflict, will have to have a look at this

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I played RUSE which is basically a WW2 version of this, same creators and stuff, RUSE was pretty good IMO, but it wasn't worked on since they started working on this, so I may give it a look, if they promise to look after it this time.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Yup, i have it too.

Its a very engaging strategy game. Currently up to the 1st polish mission on the solo campaign, and as i am trying to play through each campaign without saving during missions, its very very difficult to get through a mission without loosing valuable assests that i KNOW i will miss in later games.

Has a great balance to it, and you really do have to use carfully tactics to win "properly" (taht is... without taking horredous casulaties in the proccess)

Tried multiplayer, its garbage. Consists of top tier players spamming artillary and rocket launchers with minimal helo recon. Unplayable as a true strategy game in MP, unless you have like minded friends to play against.

Gwadien

Tried multiplayer, its garbage. Consists of top tier players spamming artillary and rocket launchers with minimal helo recon. Unplayable as a true strategy game in MP, unless you have like minded friends to play against.

Ruse then, Yeah, it's the same deal, and if you rush them (no idea if u can on this) they QQ? :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I was going to buy this, and was pleased to see the comments, until the last two.

I'm so glad I read them, I dont think I'll bother now.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
was going to try it but never got around to it, I find RTS abit dry these days, there was a time you could login to an RTS and just have a laugh with friends now its all Build X at X while maintaining X on X.. they've turned into such a chore compared to what they used to be.

SC2 being the worse by far, the amount of time and effort you have to put into SC2 to stay at a proper level is just plain stupid :p I just play Custom Games on my SC2 now, havent touched laddering in like forever.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I was going to buy this, and was pleased to see the comments, until the last two.​
I'm so glad I read them, I dont think I'll bother now.​

Well, if your interested in a multiplayer strategy game, then yes, i would recommend you skip this for the moment. (Unless the devs address the current multiplayer situation... its not even close to a good MP game)

However, i stand by my comment that it is a VERY well balanced single player experience, with a great depth to its strategy and tactics, and a more than competent AI to deal with. So if its a good SP strategy game you after, i WOULD recommend you buy it :)

Gwadien

Well, if your interested in a multiplayer strategy game, then yes, i would recommend you skip this for the moment. (Unless the devs address the current multiplayer situation... its not even close to a good MP game)

However, i stand by my comment that it is a VERY well balanced single player experience, with a great depth to its strategy and tactics, and a more than competent AI to deal with. So if its a good SP strategy game you after, i WOULD recommend you buy it :)

I wouldn't hold your breath on them updating the game mate, the last news I saw on RUSE was like 2 months after creation, they never updated it. Just brought out DLC.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Im not really a single player person, I'll give it a miss I think.

Gwadien

Im not really a single player person, I'll give it a miss I think.
If you find Ruse cheap, buy that, it's probably worth £10 or so, and I bet you can find it for that much, let me know if you get it, if you do, I'll have a few games with you, then you can decide if you like it, then you can invest in this :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I like Company of Heroes, it's me favourite game, do you play that?

Gwadien

Yeah man, im shit at it though, add me on steam or relic friends thing gwadien either way i believe

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just got this today and all I can say is wow, how refreshingly different it is from most other RTS type games out there. The zooming never ceases to amaze me. Fucking love it.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
If you fancy a go at MP, let me know. I would love to have a REAL game of this vs another player, ya know... one who plays in the spirit of the game with combined arms and strategy... instead of spamming long range rocket batteries with a helo scout.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Will do, need to gain some experience of it first and learn all the controls.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ok, played the singleplayer right through and impressed enough to buy it. They did a cracking job on a very limited budget. The story and narration needed work but the whole World War 3 with 1980's units had me totally hooked.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
yarp, few of my lots have got it

its more like World in Conflict than anything else
quasi realistic, very, VERY big maps, excellent graphics, it zooms from man-in-field to satellite overview, well worth a look

Better than WoC imo, to play anyway, WoC had much stronger story elements.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ooh, some free DLC available too, happy days when my boxed copy arrives!

opticle

Part of the furniture
Would this be recommended for a couple of friends to play who like a good RTS game ?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Would this be recommended for a couple of friends to play who like a good RTS game ?

tis very good so yea id give it a punt - not sure if youre after Co-op or DM or what though ?
its meant to have coop, but im not sure tbh

Gwadien

It's on sale right now, that's weird.

Oh btw, loads of people I play RUSE with, went to play this all hyped back, probably 80% came back to RUSE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom