War of the Worlds

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Saw the movie Friday - and highly recommend it.

Although it's set in the US, it's through the experience of one family so there's none of the usual "USA saves the world!" crap. It actually follows the basic story of the original book, albeit in a modern New Jersey setting.

Tom Cruise puts in a solid performance, in fact the acting generally is suprisingly good. The special effects are excellent, and the film has a very dark feel to it. In fact it can be pretty disturbing at times - when I came out I couldn't help looking over my shoulder half expecting to see a giant tripod looming over the houses :eek6:

In terms of recent releases, it puts Star Wars 3 to shame. :p

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Im glad they reverted to the concept design alien tripod-thingies, like in the album, instead of them flying things from the original film. I was really worried, as the first trailer was so amateur it was shocking, but now its coming together it does look awesome...

Personally i can't wait for December when "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" is due out...

it really does look like it's going to put even LotR to shame... :worthy:

edit = Damn spell checker has no idea which witch to use :m00:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Rediknight said:

Now THAT would indeed be worth seeing - IMHO ROTK is going to take something of unprecedented epic proportions to shame it

Ezteq

Queen of OT
dont shout at me but presonally ROTK was shit.... in my opionion, too many teary eyed hobbits looking longingly at the camera, i just wanted to give em a slap and yell "FFS GET A GRIP Ya flaming hairy footed nancy boy!!".

anyway War Of The Worlds!! looks good but not sure i should go and see it as the origional scared the crap outta me and i couldnt walk under a lamp post for months after for fear of getting vapourised (then they brought out a tv show called Tripods or something and that did little to help the situation), Quite nice to see spielberg taking a break from his usual cuddley sweet aliens for a change.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Rediknight said:
Personally i can't wait for December when "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" is due out...

they're redoing it? i can't wait :D damn its a fine story

and looking forward to war of the worlds

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ezteq said:
dont shout at me but presonally ROTK was shit.... in my opionion, too many teary eyed hobbits looking longingly at the camera, i just wanted to give em a slap and yell "FFS GET A GRIP Ya flaming hairy footed nancy boy!!".

Agree, or well, was nice entertainment, but wouldnt say its gonna be hard to top it. I mean, any movie without Orlando Bloom ninjariding an elephant in it will have a huge leg up from the start in my oppinion.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
I didn't like it, very sucky that they had to explain the end instead of making it clear in the movie.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Zebolt said:
I didn't like it, very sucky that they had to explain the end instead of making it clear in the movie.

Because the target audience is dumbass yanks, they need it explained.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Effects top lotr series easy.

Look at the lotr more closely, it's actually quite...not good. It just isn't, no matter how much of a fanboi one can be.

In wotwthe effects actually fit the world and the tripods...damn. Best looking machinery seen in any movie.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Found this film to be good but not that good.didnt like the way it ended at all and i dont just mean the aliens bit.
And ROTK was great cept its ending dragged on to much, and im not a fanboi!.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Talivar said:
And ROTK was great cept its ending dragged on to much, and im not a fanboi!.

Didn't say it wasn't good, meant the effects. Orcs, etc. Not as good as people say they are.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
old.Tohtori said:
Didn't say it wasn't good, meant the effects. Orcs, etc. Not as good as people say they are.
And I think they are (the effects). Who's right, then?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Belomar said:
And I think they are (the effects). Who's right, then?

Neither. If it's good for you, it's good for you, if it's not for me...well..can't take your eyes now can i...or can i? :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
It entirely subjective.

Quite a few ppl I know went to see Mr & Mrs Smith and thought it was ok. I saw the trailer and decided it was shite. I mean not my cup of tea.

;p

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Watership Down spanks ALL arses for special effects!!! When Fiver starts seeing the blood on the hills, and when the White Rabbit comes for Hazel... *sniffles* at the end, when... *sob* he turns around and sees his... *sniffle* family are all cool and happy and safe and shit, and turns around and goes off...

goes off with the white rabbit... *blubs* to die a happy bunny!!!! :(

oh my god, that film is so fuckin sad, im welling up just thinking about it...

*sings* Briiiight eeeeyes, burning like fire... *sings*

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
Watership Down spanks ALL arses for special effects!!! When Fiver starts seeing the blood on the hills, and when the White Rabbit comes for Hazel... *sniffles* at the end, when... *sob* he turns around and sees his... *sniffle* family are all cool and happy and safe and shit, and turns around and goes off...

goes off with the white rabbit... *blubs* to die a happy bunny!!!! :(

oh my god, that film is so fuckin sad, im welling up just thinking about it...

*sings* Briiiight eeeeyes, burning like fire... *sings*

I've always liked the bit when the dog pisses against the electricity pylon - is that wrong? :eek:

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Saw the film yesterday (after reading the book and listening to the music tracks a few years ago)

The highlight for me, was leaving - walking out the cinema door and hearing a rather un-educated teenage girl say "What a cop out, that ending was crap, such a lame film"

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Hawkwind said:
Because the target audience is dumbass yanks, they need it explained.
Has nothing to do with level of intellegence. There could have been a million explenations why they fell apart before they said why in the movie. There was only one real clue (I think) and that was the dried alien which also could have had a million explenations before they explained why.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Saw it yesterday actually, it's actually a really good film.
Still prefer SW:3 though.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
It entirely subjective.

Quite a few ppl I know went to see Mr & Mrs Smith and thought it was ok. I saw the trailer and decided it was shite. I mean not my cup of tea.

;p
I saw it, wasen't the greatest storyline. But Angelina Jolie was in the movie! :p

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
saw war of worlds. cant seem to decide if i liked it or not.
it was brilliant and shit at the same time. i dont get it. i just grrr brain slowing must stopp thiink ing bout film bastids

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom