War of the Worlds

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Yup looks good... just hope they dont fuck it up by doing an America saves the world ending :/

Just checked on Release dates and the UK gets shafted... everywhere else in the world gets it on the 29th or 30th of June. UK gets it 8th of July :(

Turamber

Part of the furniture
*yawn* Setting it in modern day America fecks it up big time, just another Independence Day yarn. Keeping it the same as the book, i.e. setting it in Victorian England, would have been so much better.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Obviously you've seen the film then.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I saw the trailer, unless the scenes of modern day America are in there to throw us off the scent it's fair to say that it will not be set in Victorian England. Generic USA Invaded by Aliens Film 2,340,052.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Trailer diddn't really do much. Shall await a new one.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
oh god will they not be happy until they have ruined all human history.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Turamber said:
I saw the trailer, unless the scenes of modern day America are in there to throw us off the scent it's fair to say that it will not be set in Victorian England. Generic USA Invaded by Aliens Film 2,340,052.

But without seeing the film you've already yawned, said its fecked up, and that its going to be worse because its in the USA. Speilberg rarely directs stinkers. Cruise is a fantastic actor. So I think you're going to be proven very wrong.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tom said:
Speilberg rarely directs stinkers.

Actually. I disagree. I think in his old age he's been churning out film after film of oversentimental pap with no bite.

Gone are the days of Jaws, Close Encounters and Raiders. Minority Report didn't have the balls to end well, Shaving Ryans Privates had some great bits but generally made me feel sick and, god help me, Schindlers List, whilst being great to a point, totally fucked itself in the ass in the end.

Pure sentimental American-cock-sucking pap.

Shame really - because the man's got untold talent.

Chilly

Balls of steel
A.I. was a pile of steaming shit, the last hour should never have been made and possibly the previous couple as well.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
The Lost World, Minority Report, The Terminal and Catch Me If You Can are all ebola ridden.

However, to his credit in my opinion is Jaws, Indy Trilogy, The Color Purple, and more recently; A.I., which I thought was a pretty fucking good film.

To me it suggests his previous work was more consistent, though I do like the look of Vengeance, his film about the '72 Munich Olympics. :) Does anyone know if he's still going to do that Transformers movie? I'd love it if he did. :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
A.I. would have been so much better had Kubrick actually directed it.

Of course, he'd actually have to be alive to have done that :/

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
A.I. would have been so much better had Kubrick actually directed it.

Of course, he'd actually have to be alive to have done that :/

I've decided you're wrong nath. :)

After Kubrick's death, Spielberg revealed that the two of them were friends that frequently communicated discretely about the art of filmmaking; both had a large degree of mutual respect for each other's work. "AI" was frequently discussed; Kubrick even suggested that Spielberg should direct it as it was more his type of project. Based on this relationship, Spielberg took over as the film's director and completed the last Kubrick project.

How much of Kubrick's vision remains in the finished project -- and what he would think of the film as eventually released -- will be the final great unanswerable mysteries in the life of this talented and private filmmaker.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Duel
Jaws
Close Encounters
Raiders of the lost Ark
ET
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Hook (well I enjoyed it)
Jurassic Park
Schindler's List
Amistad
Saving Private Ryan
AI (and I like that, too)
Minority Report

All excellent. I predict WotW will be fantastic.

Oh, and I'm a big Cruise fan - not because hes a pretty boy, but because hes a superb (and criminally underrated) actor.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/large_sb.html

Turamber

Part of the furniture
The USA will save us all from the Aliens!! Thank god for the Stars & Stripes!!

leggy

Probably Scottish
While I like Tom Cruise I wouldnt say he was criminally underated. There is almost nothing to distinguish his characters from each other in almost any of his films. He has three different faces and a few voices. He is the new Pacino imo.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
I've decided you're wrong nath. :)
All fascinating stuff, but the point is - A.I. with a darker and far less sentimental tone, something more akin to 2001, would have been much better.

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Actually I think that WotW will be a very good film (face it it IS ID4 directed by Spielberg, therefore it will be good ;) )* but I wish he'd done a proper one set in Victorian Britain too.

What this means is we'll probably have to wait another 50 years before someone makes another film version of the book and we'd best cross our fingers they decide they want to set it a century and a half earlier :p

*For those who don't know ID4 is nothing but a modern remake/re-imagining**/rip-off of the 1952 War of the Worlds anyway, hell the bloody aliens are even defeated by a Virus! (well a computer virus + a big fucking nuke)

** Eurgh!!!! "re-imagining" What a fucking detestable concept

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
Version 2 of the trailer is now out for those of you that havent seen it, it's on the waroftheworlds website.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
It's going to do for H.G. Wells, what "I, Robot" did for Asimnov.

Totally agree with Turamber on this...

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
I think it looks quite good, judging from the 2nd trailer it looks like its going to be quite a serious film and nothing like ID4.

There is also a rumour that it will be a trilogy after Tom Cruise made a comment in a recent interview.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
I reckon this film will sell purely on the original being so good. No one really liked Stars in the last few years... but you went 'cos you enjoyed the original. Which is what will happen with this. Agree though, shame that its not in the UK... maybe Scotland this time eh? :)

Noted though, Spielberg could release another stinker... perhaps he thinks he is so good that just releasing 'any old film' with his name on it will draw the crowds for the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom