WAR ingame video

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Tilda said:

It's not enough of a follow-on to DaoC for me. It seems to have a lot in common with WOW and other RPG lites. I was after a more gritty, hard core game like DAoC is now and other games so far seem to be offering that. There was a a market for DAoC 2, seems they've missed out on it?

Warhammer's deffinitely a spin-off of WoW (going from the vids and write ups) and that's fine, because at the end of the day it's all about money, but they won't get their DAoC fan-base to buy it looking like that, sorry.

S

ste

Whilst watching all the WAR vids I also have come to think I will be letting this game pass me by.

Im not a big fan of the WoW style gfx, but if the gameplays good then I can overlook that. The problem is from the look of the video's it looked like a very dumbed down playstyle to what I would expect from the developers of DaoC. Are they going to release it on the X-box as well?

Am I right in thinking that the styles/spells are all on seperate timers as opposed to the current setup up of set swing/cast speeds and positionals and reactionarys etc? It was hard to tell just from the mpegs but it sure looked that way. It would be a shame if they had decided to remove that element of skill/decision making and changed it into a 'wack-a-mole' type game where u just keep spamming whatever the most powerful ability is up.

Vanguard def looks to be the closest thing to a DaoC 2 (and if that crap theres always Conan and Thrones of Chaos I suppose, so were not exactly going to be short of choice next year at least).

DaveyJones

Fledgling Freddie
Vangard looks nothing like DAOC in any form, its basicly evercrack 3.

Also i think its hard to make any decision on a game from one poor video early in the games creation.

Tilda

I dont get quite what you mean by RPGlite? WAR as I have said before is nothing like WoW, the fact that wow copied warhammers gfx style is irrelevant.
Phil, its important to remember that warhammer came first, over 20 years ago, wow just copied their style.
There are certainly gritty hardcore elements to WAR, and although they've made it easier to get into than daoc, I'm certain that it will (especially the rvr aspect) appeal to daocers.
However at the same time, it is not, and nor will it ever be "daoc 2"

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Tilda said:
I dont get quite what you mean by RPGlite? WAR as I have said before is nothing like WoW, the fact that wow copied warhammers gfx style is irrelevant.
Phil, its important to remember that warhammer came first, over 20 years ago, wow just copied their style.
There are certainly gritty hardcore elements to WAR, and although they've made it easier to get into than daoc, I'm certain that it will (especially the rvr aspect) appeal to daocers.
However at the same time, it is not, and nor will it ever be "daoc 2"

I realise Warhammer is a lot older than WoW - I've had an undead army sitting on my shelf for 15 years and my brother has a 10,000 point Empire army stashed somewhere - but it still looks too much like WoW to me, regardless of who copied who that style doesn't appeal to me.

To define an RPG lite : I'd put City of Heroes (I like this game and play it atm), Dungeon Siege, Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call 2, WoW into that category whereas I'd place Elder Scrolls, Asheron's Call 1, DAoC, UO, Fallout into the hard core category. And that's what I was hoping for. Admittedly, Warhammer might not be like that but it's certainly seeming to head that way atm.

Like Ste asked above, are the styles on timers or set with swing speed and reactionaries? Do you need to evade and get into the right position, or can you just press 'em anytime? Stuff like that, amongst othe details ofc, is what I mean.

If it's (to steal a phrase) whack-a-mole than thanks, but no thanks, I've already got COH to fullfil my simple RPG needs I want 100s of skill types, elemental arrows, magically imbuable armour etc - I want nitty gritty and skill! :)

Tilda

There are iirc positional styles.
I'm not 100% sure as its been a while and my memory is fuzzy but I think its similar to daoc with an "end" bar although its not called that, and then you can style while you have end.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
I realise Warhammer is a lot older than WoW - I've had an undead army sitting on my shelf for 15 years and my brother has a 10,000 point Empire army stashed somewhere - but it still looks too much like WoW to me, regardless of who copied who that style doesn't appeal to me.

I think this is a point well made. There are undoubted similarities between WoW and WAR in the graphical style and for some players, this is enough to put them off.

This is the style of Warhammer which is why I am glad they stuck with it. It posesses a lot more humour than certain "gritty" mmorpg's, but if you look at the most popular mmorpg's (WoW, Lineage 2, Ryzom, EQ2 etc) they are all based on this style as opposed to games like DAoC and i think this has a lot to do with the failure of DAoC to attract new players.

Fundimentally most players want to know they are playing a GAME, not an extension of their working life (aka, grinding). The notable exceptions to this are the asian player base (and it has to be said, a large Euro population also have this philosophy) who have a lot more patience and discipline than most western players and are very much interested in the long-game rather than short term gratification (illustrated by Lineage 2's 14 million subscribers, mainly Asian, and it's lack of success in the US).

A game like WAR will likely be a game you can buy, log in and get stuck into the meat of the game almost instantly. As such it will not appeal to everyone.

Tilda

The newsletter it came with pointed out it was unfinished, unpolished and just to give you a rough idea.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Oh come on unless they totally redesign the entire thing then it's going to look at least somewhat like that, ergo be a console game.

Even if it's a rough idea it looks more like Gauntlet than an MMO. My brother who's never seen Warhammer online before just walked in as I was watching it again and said - What's this ? Some Super Mario game? And he's the one who loved Dark Omen and played the fantasy battle game, so even to a Warhammer fan it seems to hold little appeal.

RPG Lite - ok fine just not what I was hoping for :S

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
There was a similar thing released for AoC recently along the same lines, the forums were raving about it so I d/l it and it looked utterly shit, much much worse than this.

It wasn't until i learned what exactly they were seeing that i wasn't, that I learned the value of a sneak-peek like this.

I now see reactionary styles, support magic, aoe effects, aoe scatter spells, reactionary magic, knockdown, stun and cc spells/styles, group benefits and a whole load of other things. Look beyond the fluffy graphics and you get an idea of the proposed pvp gameplay.

If this was the finished game then fine, it looks a bit crap, but it's not, not even close. Hell, it's not even a beta.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Yeh it wasn't even a real game fight captured, it was clearly staged to give clear visuals of debuff effects, style effects (knockdowns etc, i saw a stun also if am not wrong from a dwarf) etc.
Overall graphic at this stage is awful, but what do u expect? Fluffs will be LAST thing they gonna invest time upon.

Gamah

Banned
RS|Phil said:
Oh come on unless they totally redesign the entire thing then it's going to look at least somewhat like that, ergo be a console game.

Even if it's a rough idea it looks more like Gauntlet than an MMO. My brother who's never seen Warhammer online before just walked in as I was watching it again and said - What's this ? Some Super Mario game? And he's the one who loved Dark Omen and played the fantasy battle game, so even to a Warhammer fan it seems to hold little appeal.

RPG Lite - ok fine just not what I was hoping for :S

It will look nothing like that, did you ever see the daoc alpha shots? Graphics seems to be king over game play for you which is the wrong way to look at it. I will definatly be giving it a go..whats £30 to try something out.. I can spend that on lunch .. (not for me only ;))

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Gamah said:
It will look nothing like that, did you ever see the daoc alpha shots? Graphics seems to be king over game play for you which is the wrong way to look at it. I will definatly be giving it a go..whats £30 to try something out.. I can spend that on lunch .. (not for me only ;))

That's the most hurtful thing anyone's ever said to me Gamah. Gameplay over graphics anytime. That's why I still play Amiga games.

No, I never saw the Alpha DaoC gfx and I realise they've changed a great deal over the years and I also realise that the final version will be much different but the....style for want of a better word is palpable.

I'd rather have stick figures and good gameplay - as I said, I'll be watching this one but if this vid isn't anything like what they're aiming towards then why show it? It's put a lot of people off already.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
RS|Phil said:
I'd rather have stick figures and good gameplay - as I said, I'll be watching this one but if this vid isn't anything like what they're aiming towards then why show it? It's put a lot of people off already.

If it puts stupid people off then good. If there stilly enough to judge a game which is in early apha stage, by a low rez internet video of what looks like starter level toons haveing abit of a scap then good ridence. If I stuck a video of some fights in demons breach up on Your Tube its going to look shit yet is hardly a reflection of the full game.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:

RS|Phil said:
In-game RvR footage courtesy of Kimkasper

clicky

It's deffinitely off my list now!

RS|Phil said:

Make up your mind ;)

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH
looks like a piece of shit :( or as crappy as WoW
Looks like ill be keep playind Daoc :eek7:

Vonwar

One of Freddy's beloved
This could remind me of "Super Mario Brothers" going warhammer, ohh what a back step compared to the nice graphics we know from DaoC nowadays,

Landscape is not so bad but chars look as if they run around with a diper or if they have peed their pants.

If this is not changed a LOT before release i think DaoC will have a much longer life than we excpect now.

The most clear word i have for this is <dissapointing>

rgds

Vonwar

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
People who condemn a game over such an early video footage are funny :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Tilda said:

its not so much they copied it as blizzard was hoping for warcraft to be some sort of expansionpack/standalone of warhammer thus the name simmilaritys(sp?). warhammer devs said "no, fuck off" and on that road it is :)

if we should believe all the roumors that is...

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
its not so much they copied it as blizzard was hoping for warcraft to be some sort of expansionpack/standalone of warhammer thus the name simmilaritys(sp?). warhammer devs said "no, fuck off" and on that road it is :)

if we should believe all the roumors that is...

What a load of old cobblers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom