War in Iraq

O

old.job

Do you agree or disagree?
My opinion is that the very real threat has to be made, but if it turns to war then the whole thing has failed.
My only hope is that every possible chance is given to the Iraqi soldiers to surrender.

As for peace protesters

TOO LITTLE TOO LATE PEOPLE!!!!

If you really cared, you'd have spotted this coming for years, as usual no one gives a fek till the shit hit's the fan.

If war does happen, then tens of thousand's of completely innocent people are going to die :(
But the again as George Carlin says, you were born on this planet, you live here now..'GUILTY AS CHARGED!!'

B

Belsameth

not that I care much about the lives lost, innocent or not.
but I think war in the middle east might have slightly more effects worldwide then George W seems to expect.
I'm thinking WTC style attacks here, so yes. I'm against it

O

old.LandShark

If the Americans go to war with Iraq, they'll end up at war with half of the Middle East. It's hypocritcal in the extreme given what they've been aiding and abetting Israel in doing for all these years, it's almost certainly going to be a complete humanitarian disaster (hell, UN sanctions have already done enough in that direction), and he doesn't have anything legal to lay in front of the UN to stand as justification for going to war. To say I'm against it would be one mother of an understatement :uhoh:
if the 10million or so demonstrators worldwide that want this war to stop, and George Bush ignores them, he has absolutely no damn right to call himself the leader of a democratic country.

T

Teh Fonz!!1

Heya guys how's it goi... :eek6:

/em backs slowly towards the door, careful not to make any sound.

B

Belsameth

/em turns around, grabs Fonz and drags him back in. Firmly locking the door behind him

O

old.job

Unfortunately, that is democracy, you vote in a leader to handle your affairs, he is voted out if he fuks up, demonstrations, are NOT democracy, it is MOB justice.
I guarantee you by the time elections come round, law order/tax cuts will decide his relection.

People are that stupid and that short termist, individually we are intelligent, as a group, we are sheep.

1 million people turned up in England, that leaves 59 million who didn't, exclude 10 million for too old/young, another 10 million who agreed but couldn't be arsed, still leaves 39 million.

K

klavrynd

yay, politics

3 euro's and a pack of noodles this turns into a flamewar

G

gengi

There was a pretty good debate on this a few days back, ended up in a bit of a flame war (no pun intended)

My opinion is there will be war as was said above a whole shit load of repercussions of a terrorist nature will happen as a by product. The removal of a despot from power and the establishing of a democratic regime may be worth it, if it happens.
My primary point is still where would you rather live, in a relatively free liberal democracy or under the rule of a tyrant in constant fear ?

On the whole I do not believe my opinion counts, I never voted for Blair but he is the leader of the country. In 3 weeks the Americans and British forces, along with the few from other countries willing to send them will be ready and a Military action will begin IMHO. I will not call it a war I don't believe the Iraqui army could mount a reasonable enough defense.

As history proves the victors will dictate what happened and CNN will broadcast it live to your living room.

Later

Gengee

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by klavrynd
yay, politics

3 euro's and a pack of noodles this turns into a flamewar

You calling me oriental or something?! Racist! :D

I

inuyasha

hehe

Originally posted by old.job
Unfortunately, that is democracy, you vote in a leader to handle your affairs, he is voted out if he fuks up, demonstrations, are NOT democracy, it is MOB justice.
I guarantee you by the time elections come round, law order/tax cuts will decide his relection.

People are that stupid and that short termist, individually we are intelligent, as a group, we are sheep.

1 million people turned up in England, that leaves 59 million who didn't, exclude 10 million for too old/young, another 10 million who agreed but couldn't be arsed, still leaves 39 million.

Dont agree with your maths there, in norway, 60k met in the capital (me among them), and 115k++ on landbasis and that give 3,9million or about that did not show up. However, in norway the polls say that more then 73,5% vote no to a war against iraq. Your maths dont match im afraid =) And for protestant marches, it will be compared to eachothers, not to % of lands population, and for that it was REALLY high =)

and as you prolly have made up already...
no to war against iraq...
and NO to Bush as world police.
ok thnx bye =)

S

Sharma

i disagree completely with the thought or war with Iraq, World War 3, nucear war, doesnt sound promising :(

T

Tilda

I agree something needs to be done about Iraq, im not sure what. Although i havent seen any evidence i still believe that Iraq probably do have some nasty stuff (have i fallen victim to the propaganda machine?)

On the news today was about 2 ships that left iraq in november and have just sailed all the time since then keeping radio silence. This sounds a bit suspect to me.

Im pretty sure that there probably will be a war agains Iraq with probably the UK, the US and a few other supporters around joining it a little bit. Im sure that there will be heavy US casualtys and Bush will be humiliated.

Im also damm sure that after/if Bush takes over Iraq it will only get worse, famine due to the war killing millions, US companies controling the oil wells etc. This will probably also be followed up by more terrorist attacks on the UK, US and other random bombings :(

the furture looks kinda crap :(

Tilda

B

BrassMonkey

I think we need wars to keep the planets general population under control.

Did i say that out loud?
:uhoh:

S

SFXman

What would happen to petrol prices in Europe as a result of war in Iraq?

T

Tilda

Originally posted by SFXman
What would happen to petrol prices in Europe as a result of war in Iraq?

they would go up, like they did in the gulf war.

Tilda

S

SFXman

Ahh crap... as if I don't waste enough money on it already */em sigh*

O

old.Tohtori

Bomb 'em all.

US...iraq. All the same.

Atleast we get something to watch on TV.

Every generation needs one big war, let this be ours.

If you get offended by this well boohoo...if you truly are affected by thsi war i'd think you have much more important issues in your head then to browse barrysworld.

I

inuyasha

hehe

Originally posted by -Warhawk-
I think we need wars to keep the planets general population under control.

Did i say that out loud?
:uhoh:

I agree here, i have nothing against wars at all :D

HOWever....i prefer wars where both sides get losses, and US would not loose much at all in this war (not much at all..Iraq is in no state to wage wars ,() This war will not be a war at all, but a slaghter, and i do not think slaughters help for the population NOR the balance of power in this world, and im totaly against this war!

Btw, gratz on new name Soulcatcher, how did you do that? =)

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

I've always wanted 3 arms; 2 arms to play games and one arm to either spoon food into my mouth or drink/make tea with.

Genetic modification is frowned upon by most governments so it looks like nuclear armageddon is the way forward, baby!

Mmmm..."Irradiated 3-armed mutant freak owns rest of the world in online game tournament!"

J

Jonaldo

saddam.jpg

It's Saddams Family.

A

Aileanara

Dont Agree with War it should be avoided at all costs (including the cost of petrol, which is the bottom line for this war IMO)

And another thing the best way to tell others to do something is to do it yourself first.
I.E. America, we here in the UK (or the newest additional state of America as we are now known) and every other Country out thier get your finger out and dispose of all your weapons of mass destruction first.

In my opinion this is a sign of strength because then if anybody (America/UK included) develops weapons of mass destruction in the future then the rest of the world has got the just right to give them a good shoeing.

J

Jiggs

its like if they were kids at school:

sadaam hussein stole bush's lunch money

so bush decides to blow up his house and kill his family

O

old.Noita

If war is waged upon Iraq, which sadly looks increasingly likely, it will be a war fought purely for cynical political gain by the Bush Administration. The electorate in the US have´nt forgotten about the Enron scandal and the fact that George Bush Senior was on the Board of Directors and the company and its CEO kenneth Lay contributed so heavily to Bush Jr's electoral campaigns. Nor have they forgotten that one of the jurists responsible for "rubber stamping" millions of dollars of fraudulently obtained funds of tax relief to Enron was promoted higher up the judicial ladder by the Bush Admin once in power. The American public will however, be persuaded to forget such things in sufficient numbers (they hope) when Bush delivers CNN a successful war.

If Saddam has Weapons of Mass Destruction... who is he actually a threat to? Certainly none of his neighbours.... with hundreds of thousands of US troops stationed in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia will he really risk attacking those States? I dont think so! Iran? Errr Iran would wipe him from the face of the planet... Egypt? If he attacks Egypt he would risk every sigle Arab State turning against him en masse.... Israel?? Realistically he is only a threat to his own people, and it is laughable and naive in the extreme to think that ANY war in Iraq would be solely for the benefit of the Iraqi people, although this may (or may not) be a by-product.

Israel: America's puppet state in the Middle East has weapons of mass destruction, is a nuclear country, has broken countless UN resolutions is in illegal occupation of others land, regularly carries out cross border military incursions into other countries thereby violating more UN resolutions and National Sovereignties and is definitley a continuing threat to its neighbours. Where are the sanctions against this state? Where are the weapons inspectors? Where is the "pariah state" status reserved for other countries who indulge in the same practices?

The events of 9/11 were sickening and horrifying and no right minded person can think otherwise... but... they came as no real surprise, the only real surprise (to me anyway) was that this kind of thing hadnt happened before. American foreign policy has covertly or overtly interfered with the internal affairs of more Nation States than any other nation in the history of mankind - from the Middle East to China, Russia, SE Asia, The Caribbean, Central and South America etc etc. It is the same foreign policy which now seems hell bent on pushing all of us closer to a very frightening future.

It is estimated that this war will cost upwards of $1trillion ($1million million). This money could eradicate poverty and save millions of lives in countless nations yet our leaders are willing to sanction its use to devastate an already impoverished country merely because its leadership MAY have a few WOMD tucked away.

War is likely, and I will cry for all the innocent men women and children who will surely die in the conflict and be martyred to American Imperialism.

B

Breni

War against Iraq? What's the point?

Yes, September 11th was horrific. Did Saddam Hussein, or Iraq, have anything to do with this? I somehow doubt it. So, these alleged illegal weapons are now the new threat to the world...oh, sorry, the USA, are they?

Should Iraq have weapons of mass destruction squirrelled away somehwere, who are they going to be used against? Certainly not the US, thousands of miles away. Some of the eastern European states? If they have the missile capacity, perhaps, but this seems unlikely. As has already been stated, Iraq is more of a threat to itself than to outside powers.

I'm sick of the good ole USofA (God's Country? More like the Fatherland...) making the UK it's lap dog, and specifically I'm sick of the Bush Administration wanting to stick a firecracker up the world's arse and light it.

Good ole Blair, eh? All those promises he made when he came into power. Just like all other politicians, they were lies fabricated to make him look good. And I voted for the fucker. Twice. And now he's leading us down the path to destruction because he won't listen to the people of the UK. France and Germany have the right of it, if you ask me by vetoing the UN's Security Council. The world stands on the brink of domination or destruction, all at the hands of the US and their pet, the UK.

Remeber, Bush went to Harvard Law School, but doesn't know the name of the general that took control of Pakistan in a military coup. His Deparment of Defence want to research and create MORE nuclear devices, rather than destroying what they have. He doesn't seem to care about environmental issues and would rather work on a missile defence system.

This man sits in control of one of the world's largest military powers, and is warlike, bigoted and reviled by thousands, and yet he still sits in power in the US. They impeached Nixon for theft, Clinton for getting laid. Seems that the US electorate have their priorities mixed up to me - they'd rather see a sociopathic madman control their country than a thief or philanderer.

HOWever....i prefer wars where both sides get losses, and US would not loose much at all in this war (not much at all.

Didn't the US lose more in the first Gulf War than Iraq through incidents of Friendly Fire alone? Shows how good they are at spotting the difference between national colours, eh?

War is never the answer. Last resort? Probably. First resort for some? More than likely.

Anyhow, that's my 2c worth.

O

old.job

Noita, you are completely correct, but doesn't it just show that the real reason for the war is because the western world doesn't trust the Arabs, we let Israel off, cos we think they are like us, and on our side.
We think the Arabs will turn on us given half a chance, Saddam is a hero to millions of Muslims , the one guy who's taken on America.
America doesn't like that, wiping him out will send a message to them all, don't mess with the bigboys and stay in your place.
Saddam isn't stupid enough to launch an attack with WMD's on the west, his country would be destroyed, but he will try to get the bomb, because if he has it he can use it as leverage against the west, we know he could give it to any nutball terrorist group he likes, people with nothing to lose.
If we do take over the country, we can come up with any story we like to prove his intentions, lies, lies and deceit works both ways :)
Poeple keep rabbiting on about the personalities, Bush/Blair/Saddam, this is of no consequence, this IS a war of civilisations, the best/worst is yet to come.

Users who are viewing this thread