Advice Volunteering Cover Letter

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I am here, for your advice fellow Fredskis, teachers advice might be the best option mind you, I've taken a year out between college and University, and in this year, I want to volunteer at a school to basically gain some experience, and the way I shall approach this is by basically writing a cover letter, sticking a CV with it, and posting it at local schools, but here's my first hurdle; my Cover Letter.

I keep thinking I'm arse-licking too much, or being big headed, I'm not sure what the best way to approach this letter is, I mean, I'm definitely volunteering partially because I want the experience, and partially because I generally wanna help out, because I don't seem to be doing a awful lot with my time :p

But if I say I'm here for the experience, surely they'll be like hang on, they're using us, but if I say I'm here to help your kids, they'll be like, ew, creep.

Thanks for any advice! :)

Nate

FH is my second home
While handing in the covering letter, check out the teachers and receptionist. If they aren't hot, take back the covering letter and run.

Nate

FH is my second home
Also, play to your strengths and show them that you can do some mean photographic stories. Like that one where you shown the social divide when you could go through the hole in the bushes. I'd say make that your main focus, include the photo to keep it real and the comments/how people tried to copy you because they thought it was such a great story.

:D

Gwadien

Using FH as a reference... I have a higher chance of being taken seriously if I said I was the chief recruiter for the LRA.

Gwadien

who made up the rules for Faithfully & Sincerely btw? :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Everybody who works in schools has a really intense appreciation of Marlon Brando. Throw a sentence in there about how you're a member of the North American Marlon Brando Look-a-likes Association (just put NAMBLA for short, they'll know what you mean) and you're sure to raise some eyebrows.

Saraden

Loyal Freddie
Be confident and polite (Dear XXXX, You, Best Regards, and so on), that should take you forward. Have a good handshake.

As of what to write, I would be quite honest, ie. you would do it for the experience, you are interested about the field of work and so on.

Call them before / after sending the application, should guarantee you a spot on the "A-pile".

If you decide to meet them personally, dress smart but don't overdo it (on school, perhaps a dress shirt (+sweater) and casual firm trousers).

Gwadien

Be confident and polite (Dear XXXX, You, Best Regards, and so on), that should take you forward. Have a good handshake.

As of what to write, I would be quite honest, ie. you would do it for the experience, you are interested about the field of work and so on.

Call them before / after sending the application, should guarantee you a spot on the "A-pile".

If you decide to meet them personally, dress smart but don't overdo it (on school, perhaps a dress shirt (+sweater) and casual firm trousers).
Do I believe my eyes? - A serious response?

Thanks mate :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
That's a bit familiar isn't it?

Observing formality is it's own reward, people. :eek:

What?

What?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

I was making the comment that "yours faithfully" is a bit informal.

Of course, I was incorrect. Faithfully is formal (to an unknown), sincerely to a known acquaintance.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I was making the comment that "yours faithfully" is a bit informal.

Of course, I was incorrect. Faithfully is formal (to an unknown), sincerely to a known acquaintance.

You're forgiven. I was about to go all grammar nazi on your ass .

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Think about it. If you don't know someone, then you are sending them something in faith

Gwadien

Btw, I've now written 40+ letters, fun times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom