Vista .. Workaround

Gamah

Banned
Anyone come up with a work around to get camelot (DR Client) to work with Vista?

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Can't you right click on the icon and go to the compatible option and run it Windows XP modus or something?
Heard it worked for some other games, no Vista on my gaming PC yet so can't test it.

Gamah

Banned
Can't you right click on the icon and go to the compatible option and run it Windows XP modus or something?
Heard it worked for some other games, no Vista on my gaming PC yet so can't test it.

Yeah it doesn't work the error is "unable to write to debug.log" and I checked it's not running read only etc :s, ahh well not the end of the world..im still running xp on a duel boot.

sneakies

Fledgling Freddie
I don't have DR on my laptop but i have Cata client working without issues. Im sure you may have tried it, but here is what i had to do to make it work.

Disable Visual Themes = Tick
Disable Desktop Composition = Tick
Run This Program As An Administrator = Tick

Windows Compatability = 2000

You may have already tried it but thought i'd let you know - it's the only setting that worked for me [the rest resulted in system crashing/client crashing]. This is on Windows Vista Business by the way :)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Just avoid Vista like the plague for about 18 months/until SP1 comes out for it. By then it should be all-round stable, compatible, and hopefully not eat most of your memory as well...and most stuff should have drivers for it that actually work.

Right now? I wouldn't touch Vista with a 20-foot pole.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Just avoid Vista like the plague for about 18 months/until SP1 comes out for it. By then it should be all-round stable, compatible, and hopefully not eat most of your memory as well...and most stuff should have drivers for it that actually work.

ive heard that vista is getting SP1 in a few months... seems microsoft knew it wasn't up to scratch at release(even though it took like 5 years to develop)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

i wouldent touch it at all, no matter how stable it is. until microshite removes the check on what vista wants and do not want to play in regards to music, videos (and DONT lower the quality on said video because of it) and shit. i aint gonna use it. yeah, vista decides what u can and cant use the OS for.....

oh and heres 10 more reasons why u should not have vista.... some of the points in there will eventually get fixed, but not the most moronic issues, u'l see wich.....

i mean, not even supporting SLI at release?!? wtf?

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Simple solution, uninstall it, comes to something when even MSM Live, a microshat product doesnt even work on it, that speaks volumes to me.

Gamah

Banned
To be fair, I have used it now for 3 days, none of the scare mongering horror stories are true. I have played my downloaded videos at full quality and played my music just like I did in XP.

Vista is as fast as XP as far as I am concerned. However that being said explorer.exe crashed after 25 min using it however it's only happened once. I have it in duel boot for now as I am just testing it out.

But all the stories I read on the net before it came out about how bad it limits you are just a load of bollocks.

(+ MSN live works fine :p?)

(Posting from XP btw before you linch me!)

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
everything in vista works exactly the same in XP for me... only problem I've had is nvidia drivers. Oh and also a problem with codec breaking the previewer thus breaking explorer.exe... but I've fixed that with a new codec pack.

Even made myself a fine Digitally Imported player for my windows sidebar so I dont have to start up WMP.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I disabled the User Account Control Gamah... that stops it from asking you whether you want to continue with this action, when the screen greys out.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
The Register BOFH said:
"You should go to Vista."
"So you like Vista?"
"Not really, no. I run a Vista simulator."
"Virtual Server?" the Boss asks.
"Nah, I just turned on all the flashy crap in XP, changed the background image, took some memory out of my box and clocked down the CPU. Then broke Media player. Works like a charm."
"So you don't like it?"
"No. But it has does have one advantage."
"What's that?"
"It causes a clean reinstall of XP which is generally good from a defrag point of view."

Classic!

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Yeah it doesn't work the error is "unable to write to debug.log" and I checked it's not running read only etc :s, ahh well not the end of the world..im still running xp on a duel boot.

That sounds more like a User Right problem.
U got Administrator Rights on your Account?
Also what are the rights on the Folder?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
until microshite removes the check on what vista wants and do not want to play in regards to music, videos (and DONT lower the quality on said video because of it) and shit.

are you shitting me?

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
ive heard that vista is getting SP1 in a few months... seems microsoft knew it wasn't up to scratch at release(even though it took like 5 years to develop)

That'll just be marketting. As Svart said, a lot of people, having had experience of other Microsoft products, won't buy til after the first service pack. Microsoft's solution, rush out the first service pack and fix the issues in service pack 2, same as they did on XP.

Darzil

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Well I don't know about all the horror stories(seems to work fine on my laptop) but seeing as it uses 440mb ram in idle mode I won't be using it to game on for quite a while, got WinXP and Kubuntu for that.
Also seeing as theres no stable drivers for the Asus EN8800 GTX yet so wouldn't even be able to game on it even if I wanted :p

Gamah

Banned
It was a permissions problem. I didn't have modify permissions on this account :p

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
So will be there a DirectX 10 for XP? If not, took them a couple of years to use it to force the customers to buy their new products.

tollstore

Fledgling Freddie
So will be there a DirectX 10 for XP? If not, took them a couple of years to use it to force the customers to buy their new products.

Apparantly not and with games now been specifically been written for dx 10 yes you are right you will be forced to upgrade to vista within a couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom