Help Vista or not to Vista that is the question.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well i got a x64 dual core computer and now playing Age of Conan i've noticed the computer goes from 2 cores to 1, and i have to reboot the computer to get the other core running, after looking around i've seen indications that XP dont use the 2 cores.

so my question is if i buy Vista what version should i get and would it
help improve gaming since it should use both cores. And i got 4GB ram installed but since i use XP i only use 3.2gb.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Windows 2003 x64 or Windows XP x64 is the way to go, if you want my opinion. I'm using the first and it works fine, although you might be better off with XP x64.

Ominous

Banned
Funny thing I was using a dodgy version of xp and felt very guilty about it so I decided to come clean and purchase vista at the cost of about £70. To be honest sod all worked with it. I should have checked before hand but even so it was like going back about 10 yrs or so when I first used Windows xp (or whatever operating was suppose to be the bees knees at the time). In other words £70 down the drain. I then downloaded a *cough* trial (dodgy) version of the latest xp and viola everything worked. The latest version of xp is amazing and I will buy it as soon as I can afford it. Really is an amazing operating system. Not sure how much is XP Pro is - prob a few hundred pounds. Probably worth it though but if Vista works on your comp then stick with that. I would have if my modem worked - my graphics card worked - my usb link cable worked etc.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Funny thing I was using a dodgy version of xp and felt very guilty about it so I decided to come clean and purchase vista at the cost of about £70. To be honest sod all worked with it. I should have checked before hand but even so it was like going back about 10 yrs or so when I first used Windows xp (or whatever operating was suppose to be the bees knees at the time). In other words £70 down the drain. I then downloaded a *cough* trial (dodgy) version of the latest xp and viola everything worked. The latest version of xp is amazing and I will buy it as soon as I can afford it. Really is an amazing operating system. Not sure how much is XP Pro is - prob a few hundred pounds. Probably worth it though but if Vista works on your comp then stick with that. I would have if my modem worked - my graphics card worked - my usb link cable worked etc.

You have a free Xp code along with the Vista one afaik, double check for it.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
easy answer... not to vista, biggest piece of shit ever made.

wish i never wasted £80 it on release

V

Vascpasidhpagf

Vista. Technology is moving forward.

Better sooner rather than later.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

problem is that M$ wont be supporting XP for that much longer i've heard. so were practically gonna be FORCED to using vista before long.

i mean, they stopped to make fixes to win 98 only a year or so after ME came out, and ME got shafted from the support departement a year or so after XP came out.

I DONT WANNA USE VISTA :(

Chronictank

FH is my second home
If you are already on xp 64 you wont see many more problems regarding drivers and programs than you are seeing now

Vista is no less stable than XP atm for most things, and alot of the blind hate is because of teething issues at the start.

HOWEVER, if you have a Nvidia gfx card you might want to stay off a bit as the drivers support is awful so problems take a very long time to get fixed, also Nvidia cards dont use the dx10 programmable shader architecture and don't support dx10.1 (even their newest cards being released in July wont support it) so you wont see any significant gains over xp.
If you have an Ati the driver support is better and most the new gen are dx 10.1 compatible, and this does show a significant increase in performance over XP (see assassins creed benchmarks before they patched it out, supposidly because of nvidia)

I have been using it for 4 months now and have had barely any problems which arent related to 64-bit rather than vista itself.

Another thing to note is that if you don't have 4 gb or ram (which i assume you do because you are using x64), then there is no point upgrading, 32-bit vista is a waste of money

soze

I am a FH squatter
problem is that M$ wont be supporting XP for that much longer i've heard. so were practically gonna be FORCED to using vista before long.

i mean, they stopped to make fixes to win 98 only a year or so after ME came out, and ME got shafted from the support departement a year or so after XP came out.

I DONT WANNA USE VISTA :(

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, General Support - 14/04/2009, Extended Support - 08/04/2014

You can still buy OEM XP Pro so i would not say you have to use Vista for a while yet.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, General Support - 14/04/2009, Extended Support - 08/04/2014

You can still buy OEM XP Pro so i would not say you have to use Vista for a while yet.

I agree with this. It's never a good idea to get an OS when it's resonably new due to support/compatibility issues etc. etc. Anyone remember when they shipped 98 SE and it had just over 5,000 separate issues (albeit minor ones) that they hadn't fixed?

Go XP pro, Vista is a bag o' wank and uses far too much memory. Also, is it the case that the updater can't be turned off? I know someone who has it updating in the middle of doing other things which is funny to watch but does get irritating.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Go XP pro, Vista is a bag o' wank and uses far too much memory. Also, is it the case that the updater can't be turned off? I know someone who has it updating in the middle of doing other things which is funny to watch but does get irritating.

1) it uses memory better, you can set up prefetching which actually utilises the memory you have rather than it being wasted
2) Updater can be turned off/set to download and wait just like automatic update on windows XP
To be frank if his machine is stuggling while updates are streamed, his pc is too crap to run vista :p

I find it funny that everyone here who says vista is rubbish more than likely hasn't even tried it past 5 mins when it was in beta/RC1
After you customise it to your preferences it is no worse than XP, and is alot better in other respects

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
1) it uses memory better, you can set up prefetching which actually utilises the memory you have rather than it being wasted
2) Updater can be turned off/set to download and wait just like automatic update on windows XP
To be frank if his machine is stuggling while updates are streamed, his pc is too crap to run vista :p

I find it funny that everyone here who says vista is rubbish more than likely hasn't even tried it past 5 mins when it was in beta/RC1
After you customise it to your preferences it is no worse than XP, and is alot better in other respects

Cheers for the info :)

He spent close on £1.5K on the PC (and he got the £700 processor free) so unless he bought a solid gold case, I don't think his PC is poor. Note I didn't say it struggled, I just said it uses far too much memory - he has 4GB and when idle only 3.1GB is available. I just personally consider that too much being used on what are at least for some of them unecessary functions.

Too many frills not enough substance. If anything XP was just too successful and they panicked, the OS life cycle for XP could have lasted so much longer and that wouldn't help them get the cash incoming. I have spoken to quite a IT techies, and I'm still trying to find one that is even close to calling it a favourable product. Then again ofc, just an opinion of others, but the consensus is against it.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Just a little tidbit, if the game needs more memory vista free's some of the memory its using when in desktop mod to the app that has priority

you are absolutely right, xp is a good platform for gaming and if anyone asks i would recommend it for 32 bit
But if you are upgrading to 64-bit and are spending money on a OS i would say vista 64 so you are future proofing yourself

confused

Can't get enough of FH
I don't know what peoples problems are with vista... its been rock solid for over a year now, Having used both 64/32bit vista and xp I'm sticking with vista 64 for a long time It seems.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I don't know what peoples problems are with vista... its been rock solid for over a year now, Having used both 64/32bit vista and xp I'm sticking with vista 64 for a long time It seems.

Yep me too. Not had one problem with it yet :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Not one problem with Vista 64 Ultimate on home rig, wifes laptop with Vista home 32 is a pile of wank! Bloody thing just locks up for like 2 mins, no idea what its doing, just a pic of the egg timer. Know lots of ppl complain about the same issue.

I liked XP but Vista has some nice stuff to. It's a year old now and most major bugs are cleared. Don't think there has been a security update for over a month.

prodical

Fledgling Freddie
allow me to say that from my personal preference vista is the only OS i would use. i have been using it for just under a year now and i have never had a blue screen of death, random crashes occur few and far between. i did struggle at the start with vista, however after sticking it out i find it's quiet a nice os. altho its worth pointing out you should download vlc media player as media player 11 is a memory eating lump of shite. also you should look around the internet and look for methods to reduce memory usage. with vista its running alot of operations that you dont need. it takes the kitchen sink approach and as a result takes up alot of your valued memory and cpu process. once you have slimmed that down it runs along quiet nicely.
finally the uac console that pop's up everytime you run something as admin or want to install something is really tedious to deal with. again you can download a program that allows you to run ap's in admin mode without consulting the uac, like daoc or your regularly used ap's. i would leave it turned on with regards installing programs however, this keeps a fine layer of security on your machine.

anyways you all going to have to use vista soon. xp is on the way out of retail sales. and windows 7 isnt due till 2010/2011.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Not one problem with Vista 64 Ultimate on home rig, wifes laptop with Vista home 32 is a pile of wank! Bloody thing just locks up for like 2 mins, no idea what its doing, just a pic of the egg timer. Know lots of ppl complain about the same issue.

I liked XP but Vista has some nice stuff to. It's a year old now and most major bugs are cleared. Don't think there has been a security update for over a month.

Try turn indexing service off.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
tbh the only way to go with vista is vista 64bit premium... have a dual core and 4gb ram and ur games will go smooth... gonna be tweaking my pc again soon and i think ill get that vista, a new tuniq tower 120 and just overclock and maybe 1 of the new raedon 4xxx series (will see when they come out)

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Try turn indexing service off.

You mean you want to turn off the only good feature, even if it's stolen from the Mac? :p

Standard Win users make me laugh with all the clicking through folders :p apple+space is the future ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

what exactly does extended support mean that doesent include general support?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
You mean you want to turn off the only good feature, even if it's stolen from the Mac? :p

Standard Win users make me laugh with all the clicking through folders :p apple+space is the future ;)

Well what's the point if you don't have the power to use it and the pc becomes unusable? -.-

soze

I am a FH squatter
what exactly does extended support mean that doesent include general support?

You can buy it till the end of normal support and then updates patches ect are still developed untill the end of extended support i think. Although saying that i think xp pro oem is stopped this month so it might be development and avalibility.

Chronictank

FH is my second home

plz dont bring a apple vs pc debate into a gaming forum...

Bahumat

FH is my second home
finally the uac console that pop's up everytime you run something as admin or want to install something is really tedious to deal with. again you can download a program that allows you to run ap's in admin mode without consulting the uac, like daoc or your regularly used ap's. i would leave it turned on with regards installing programs however, this keeps a fine layer of security on your machine.

Just for anyone reading who is sick os UAC whatever its called. You can type something in the command prompt, or even simpler, goto Control Panel and type UAC into the Search box and it will appear.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Vista works fine for me aswell, never had a problem with it.

Perf

One of Freddy's beloved
microsoft is stopping vista in 2010 and replacing it with microsoft 7. microsoft liken vista to windows ME, full of problems and they are getting it in teh neck from quite a few major corperations.
there extending support for xp to 2012 as already mentioned to give there new windows 7 time to sort itself out.
there you go. dont ask me where i got that info, cos i'd probably have to shoot you.
and remember.....mums teh word...

Laddey

FH is my second home
microsoft is stopping vista in 2010 and replacing it with microsoft 7. microsoft liken vista to windows ME, full of problems and they are getting it in teh neck from quite a few major corperations.
there extending support for xp to 2012 as already mentioned to give there new windows 7 time to sort itself out.
there you go. dont ask me where i got that info, cos i'd probably have to shoot you.
and remember.....mums teh word...

Prove it

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Code name Vienna is already in the working aye, as for Microsoft cutting down the Vista Support to 2010, i really don't think so (nor my internal fonts agree on this) cause they would get some bad ass kicking from Customers.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Code name Vienna is already in the working aye, as for Microsoft cutting down the Vista Support to 2010, i really don't think so (nor my internal fonts agree on this) cause they would get some bad ass kicking from Customers.

Prolly meant stop shipping vista in 2010 so product support would run to 2015. I also though i heard Windows Seven is released 2009 so not long to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom