Virus?

Damini

Part of the furniture
I keep on getting e-mails to my hotmail account telling me that I've sent infected e-mails to different people. Thing is, I don't use outlook express, and I don't know these people so they are just random addresses to me, and I certainly didn't e-mail someone saying "you are bad". Could it be someone pretending to send from my e-mail address? Or just hoax warnings? Or something else? It's been a few messages since the 21st of march, but all seem to refer to the same virus. Virus checker is up to date. Here's the e-mails, but with the addresses done so they can't be harvested. If there's a problem with me including the e-mail addresses even in this way, can someone edit them out for me please?

A mail message with subject "information" has been found containing a virus.

The message was sent to elizabeth.fisher (at) solaglas.co.uk

For more information contact postmaster (at) saint-gobain.co.uk

Virus Information: Scenarios/Incoming/Anti Virus Inbound: 'Data recognised as
W32/Netsky.b@MM virus .'.
Scenarios/Incoming/Files Blocked: A filename matching the file mask was
detected: 'ps.scr'.
Scenarios/Incoming/Executables Inbound: 'ItemLength.GE.0'.
Sender Note - Inbound Virus Found

Attention: "AOL Time Warner" detected a virus in a message you recently
sent to our location. The infected message was quarantined and will not
be delivered to the recipients at this organization. Please run an
antivirus program immediately to scan your desktop for known viruses.
After you have ensured that your desktop is virus-free, you can resend
the message. If you need assistance, please contact your mail
administrator. Virus information on this infected message follows:
Virus Scanner found the
W32/Netsky.b@MM!zip virus
in the attached file: location.zip

Your message

To: webmaster (at) otctravel.co.uk
Subject: warning
Sent: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:56:04 -0000

did not reach the following recipient(s):

WEBMASTER (at) OTCTRAVEL.CO.UK on Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:57:29 -0000
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a=
;p=travelcoast;l=SMITHERS0403212157G2W6SPQW
MSEXCH:IMS:TRAVELCOAST:TRAVELCOAST:SMITHERS 0 (000C05A6) Unknown
Recipient

<myemailaddress (at) hotmail.com>

To :
webmaster (at) otctravel.co.uk

Subject :
warning

Sent :
21 March 2004 21:56:04

Attachment : AV-ScanReport.TxT (2 KB)
you are bad

Any ideas? I've changed my password on hotmail anyway just in case, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
probally someone who has your email address in their contact list has been infected. A few viruses send themselves to people using email addresses in the contact list to spoof a return address.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
spoofed emails, with your address in the 'from' field. Ignore them.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Ah ok. You know how us non techy types panic, and boil the hard drive in distilled water to purge it of viruses, and that type of thing.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Damini said:
Ah ok. You know how us non techy types panic, and boil the hard drive in distilled water to purge it of viruses, and that type of thing.

sys admins really need to learn to turn off virus reply emails from their system. Almost all viruses spoof addresses these days and the replies just clog up the system and panic users.

Any admin who hasn't turned them off is a muppet.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Well, my barrysworld account is now dead, my uni account is dead, and I've not got a clue how to set up e-mail for greyarthur.com so I'm stuck with hotmail until either I grow a techy brain, or somebody with the patience of a sedated saint talks me through setting up my own account.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
boil the hard drive in distilled water to purge it of viruses, .

No, no, no. Put two bits of sticky plaster over each mouse button, break a blank CD-R in bits and put some of them in each shoe, get a purple felt tip and colour over the Caps-Lock light, and don't forget to say three "Hail Bill Gates" every time you boot up.

You'll be okay, trust me.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
yaruar said:
sys admins really need to learn to turn off virus reply emails from their system. Almost all viruses spoof addresses these days and the replies just clog up the system and panic users.

Any admin who hasn't turned them off is a muppet.

Some of us have bosses who whould rather see 6 billion bogus mails instead of having even 1 mail silently dropped....
They can't stand the idea of a mail getting "lost"

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
The real pisser is when someone forward you the email and asks you why they are getting this, you explain the situation then 16hours later you get another fucking email from them asking the same questions as before and you explain again and again they ask ARGHHHH :(

Whipped

Part of the furniture
PR. said:
The real pisser is when someone forward you the email and asks you why they are getting this, you explain the situation then 16hours later you get another fucking email from them asking the same questions as before and you explain again and again they ask ARGHHHH :(
Some of us have bosses who whould rather see 6 billion bogus mails instead of having even 1 mail silently dropped....
They can't stand the idea of a mail getting "lost"
Ah, my week exactly. When a virus is detected in our system it removes the infected attachement and prepends the subject line with {Virus?}. This, of course, just makes people believe they have a virus and my collegue got no less than 20 helpdesk jobs yesterday asking for computers to be disinfected because, although the virus checker came back as clean, their computers must be infected because their e-mail says so.
I'm thinking of changing the prepend from {Virus?} to {A Virus has been stopped. You did not send this virus and thanks to our funky virus scanners, you are not receiving a virus. All is well, please remain calm and if you even think of calling us, I will send the midget Ninja round with a staple gun and a whole lota rage!! }

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Whipped said:
Ah, my week exactly. When a virus is detected in our system it removes the infected attachement and prepends the subject line with {Virus?}. This, of course, just makes people believe they have a virus and my collegue got no less than 20 helpdesk jobs yesterday asking for computers to be disinfected because, although the virus checker came back as clean, their computers must be infected because their e-mail says so.
I'm thinking of changing the prepend from {Virus?} to {A Virus has been stopped. You did not send this virus and thanks to our funky virus scanners, you are not receiving a virus. All is well, please remain calm and if you even think of calling us, I will send the midget Ninja round with a staple gun and a whole lota rage!! }

Such anger. Here, have a drink :drink:

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I get those everyday. Ignore them Damini they are not from your account and nothing you can do about it sadly :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom