News Virgin Media trials 40Gbit/s connections in the UK

Chronictank

FH is my second home
how doy uo enter these trials? Im on 20mb/sec atm.

it's not for home, they are upgrading the network backbone.
Assumably ahead of their 50 mb/s rollout which is currently in trials

You apply by signing up to their service, if you are luck enough to be in an area where they are trialing it :)

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
fucking joke. they cant provide their normal services most of the time.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Quite laughable really, the only possible use for this in the UK atm is to DL torrent content which Virgin actively throttle anyway.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
:p not heard many compaints from customers on their 20mb unless they are in a high usage area, where it's kind of expected :p

Quite laughable really, the only possible use for this in the UK atm is to DL torrent content which Virgin actively throttle anyway.
Most paid for downloads dont use torrents ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
:p not heard many compaints from customers on their 20mb unless they are in a high usage area, where it's kind of expected :p

Most paid for downloads dont use torrents ;)

what do you actually buy online that you have to pay for? I mean regularly, a game every couple of months on steam and thats pretty much it....and quite a few use a torrent system, including AoC and WoW and likewise i imagine WAR will. It simply wouldn't make sense for everyone to DL an mmo on a direct download. no company can manage 100k++ people downloading 10+ gig at once. They also throttle direct downloads at peak time and call it "fair use"

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Erm, this is hardly that interesting for the majority of users. It's just Virgin Media upgrading the backbone of their network.

Trials for 50Mbit/s are available for people in certain regions (Ashford, Dover, Folkestone), more details here.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
what do you actually buy online that you have to pay for? I mean regularly, a game every couple of months on steam and thats pretty much it....and quite a few use a torrent system, including AoC and WoW and likewise i imagine WAR will. It simply wouldn't make sense for everyone to DL an mmo on a direct download. no company can manage 100k++ people downloading 10+ gig at once. They also throttle direct downloads at peak time and call it "fair use"
What can you get legally?
Lets see, music?

Games
Direct2Drive: Download Games, Movies, TV Shows and more at D2D
Electronic Arts BV Online Store - Products
Buy and Download PC video games on Game
CustomPC - Games on Demand powered by Metaboli
among others they are just one i use on occasion

Movies
Channel Films - Movies to rent, download and buy
CinemaNow - Movie Downloads - Online Movies - Download DVD Movies - Download TV Shows - Movie Site
Film Downloads ? Buy, Rent and Download Films at Vizumi
etc.. there are now literally hundreds of these

Demo's from places like filefront, gamespot, gamershell who offer subscription services so you can download without queueing or being capped

Media streaming (podcasts, real stations, radio channels , video streaming etc..) including high bandwidth apps like BBCiplayer, Sky On Demand and 4OD who offer download services nowdays

I could go on but you get the point

what legitimate reason other than wow and a few other programs (which usually are on sourceforge anyway) are on torrents?
You're basically whining you can't pirate things easily o_O

If you dont like it, don't buy it...

Erm, this is hardly that interesting for the majority of users. It's just Virgin Media upgrading the backbone of their network.

Trials for 50Mbit/s are available for people in certain regions (Ashford, Dover, Folkestone), more details here.
Would have thought the title gave away the contents ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You're basically whining you can't pirate things easily o_O

err. No. Because I buy my decent games and films.

Either way you look at it, Virgin (most other ISPs too) throttle bandwidth whatever you are using it for so its just a gimmick. Until they stop unfairly throttling bandwidth which would need major investment in the UK backbone which nobody wants to foot the bill for its all pointless. Its not that I don't like it, I just don't like yet more idiot tax for consumers.

OH and I can stream BBC i-player and such on my country bumkin (max 200 k/s) with no problems so its hardly bandwidth intensive

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Lol, virgin? doing this? what a complete joke.. Virgin net connections are absolutely abysmal friend of mine used to be with virgin he ended up paying to get out of the contract it was THAT bad.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
It may work, it may not, there problem is that if they DO end up rolling it out as a new service, yo wont get full throttle between 8am-12pm, 3pm-6pm and 9pm-3am. And then you'll be automatically signed into Phorm.

And last but not least, they will stipulate that you hand over both testicals and your soul for good measure.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
err. No. Because I buy my decent games and films.

Either way you look at it, Virgin (most other ISPs too) throttle bandwidth whatever you are using it for so its just a gimmick. Until they stop unfairly throttling bandwidth which would need major investment in the UK backbone which nobody wants to foot the bill for its all pointless. Its not that I don't like it, I just don't like yet more idiot tax for consumers.

OH and I can stream BBC i-player and such on my country bumkin (max 200 k/s) with no problems so its hardly bandwidth intensive

What has the fact virgin are putting in a new backbone for their network got to do with you paying tax?
They aren't increasing the subscription because of it, its happening at no cost to the consumer

And throttling is not a gimmick, in high retention areas it is NEEDED, it is not economically viable nor practical to allow full access on a high usage area
i used to be with plusnet who didn't throttle, when the number of customers began getting large it was a complete farse of a service so i switched to BeThere

You asked for legitimate reasons for
what do you actually buy online that you have to pay for?
and i gave you a big list

Instead of posting something productive you nitpick... if you read what i said, "download services" when refering to BBC

I see nothing wrong with what they are doing, its well documented they do it and if you want to download many torrents then you go to another ISP

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Hardly nit picking :) idiot tax - lottery, branded shirts, high bandwidth internet in high user areas etc, not actual government tax. They won't put this sort of network in existing areas (bar the test areas) the last time someone did that they very nearly went bust (ntl) probably just new builds as they have said in the past.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
depends, i dont know how it works but i would assume its going through fibre cable with their tv and phone service so shares the bandwidth
In reality you will be getting (assuming about 3 meg for tv, 512k for phone or something similar), 46.5 Mbs give or take

I know a few people getting the full 20 mb from virgin, and others who get crappy service (who are in high usage areas) as they only get 2

This can only be a good thing as it means BT will have to upgrade too to keep up, we are one of the most developed countries in the world and have such an archaic backbone its ridiculous really

You're right about NTL, but they went mad and tried to do too much in too little time,
incidently ntl:telewest are the ones who own virgin mobile they arent owned by Branson anymore,
Under the sale they had the agreement that they kept the virgin label but in the form of Virgin Media not Virgin Mobile

Laddey

FH is my second home
My 2mb virgin connection is fine. It will download a torrent with decent seeds and trackers at a maxed out speed of around 200-210 kb/s. Which im happy with.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You're right about NTL, but they went mad and tried to do too much in too little time,

Well thats down to the government. The technology is there but company A won't spend out all that money just so company B can come in dirt cheap under stupid competition laws and offer cut price deals. Under the current laws it is just not financially viable to fund it.

I spoke to a Virgin media bloke in town about the possibility of them putting cable into my village and he said it just won't happen as the cost to lay the cable and build new exchanges would be incredible, it would take them years to recoup the money even more so when they are forced to let other ISPs use their lines. I would be quite happy to pay 30, 40 even 50 quid a month to get 20mb+ if it was the only option.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
No problems with Virgin at all ever.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i only have the 2meg virgin line and i have no problems at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom