Videocard - GeForce FX

Erwan

Fledgling Freddie
Hi!
I am planning to get a new videocard, and offcourse I wan't DAoC (with ToA) to look its best.
Does the Nvidia GeForce FX-series show the different effects? (like water, shadow effects...)
Or do I have to get ti-series? Or maybe you would suggest something completely different?
Money is offcourse, as always, a factor but I am willing to pay for a nice videocard.

Thanks in advance
-Erwan

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
I have used both ATI Radeon 9000 series cards and my current GeForce 5950FX. The quality of both these card types is excellent, and they also both display the full effects of Trials of Atlantis to their fullest.

Personally, I would hint toward a GeForce card, as they seem to be the card of choice for the developers of the game. There's (still) an issue with the ATI cards regarding landscape polygons - ie, there's some missing sometimes, until you get closer or change angle.

As for price, I believe you can pick up a decent card these days for sub-£150. My new one cost me £140 including carriage, but I can't remember where from :(

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
I have a FX5600 which supports all the graphics options - reflective water etc - and only cost me £80. I don't think the FX5200 or 5400 support all the features though.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
dont go less than a 5900!

the fx series is the worst line nvidia have ever produced ......

and if you dont happen to have a preference, go for a radeon :D

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Don't go for ATI. You can hardly meet game which you don't have to patch several times and or specially configure to run well on them. Also, don't go for GeForce FX5200, 5600 and 5800 since they are built on old slow GPUs with lots of wasted heat => makes them badly overclockable and damn noisy. Take FX5700 or 59x0, because they really rule (price/effect compare, with overclock, totaly uber).

Sorry 4 my English, I know it's not of the best.

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
I got an FX5700 - everything runs smoothly with all details set to maximum. Need about 300 people on the screen with effects on full to start noticing a slow down (got a P4 2.8Ghz with 1gig pc3200 ram) and that usually means the zone is about to crash anyway :p.

Dekker

Fledgling Freddie
Try this bad-boy out..

XFX 5900 XT www.xfxforce.co.uk - apparently available at £143 but not sure where from....

In terms of bang for your buck sposed to be the best there is currently, unless u buy second hand ofc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom