Video cards

D

darbey

One for u hardware/graphic card gurus,
just treated myself to a new pc , athlon64 3200+ and it was supplied with a geforce 4 5200fx 256 meg, however i was wondering if id be better off with the video card out of my old pc , a geforce 4 ti4800 128 meg.

Ta

D

Deadmanwalking

You mean a Geforce FX 5200 :p

No stick with the 5200 if only for native Direct X 9 support.

Oh and you got an athlon 64? :eek7:

K

Karlo

nah thats crap.... native directx 9 or not the FX5200 is poo

Geforce 4ti4800 is a lot better, the fx5200 isn't a great deal different to geforce 4 MX

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Karlo
nah thats crap.... native directx 9 or not the FX5200 is poo

Geforce 4ti4800 is a lot better, the fx5200 isn't a great deal different to geforce 4 MX

Erm..... I see what your saying in that the 5200 is the budget card of the FX range. But it is leaps and bounds ahead of the MX which was the Budget range of the Geforce 4 cards.

And anyway surely the best way to see which is better is to run them both with your most played game? As you can tell from this forum alone that DAOC for example hates 99% of GFX card on the market :p

D

darbey

Everyone i have spoken to seems to be split on this issue. Im going to benchmark them both i think , and ill let u know what i find.

D

Deadmanwalking

Benchmarks :(

For a start with the Native Directx card the 5200 it will perform alot better then the Gf4 in 3dmark 03/04 as they are Directx 9 benchmarks.

What i seem to have found is that older OpenGl games (HL/Mods) etc the GF4 will perform better marginly FPS wise. But for newer ones the 5200 should in theory beat it.

D

darbey

Hi, just to update u have benchmarked both in 3dmark 2003 and the ti4800 doubled the score of the 5200fx, very poor performance. It also plays alot better in SWG. Apart from the fact it sounds like a chinook taking off, the ti4800 is a million miles above the 5200.

O

old.Kerosene

I don't know anything about benchmarks but my Ti-4800SE runs every game I have sweetly, even UT2003 which my old 4200 struggled on.

K

Karlo

I can tell you now, the ti4800 will be a great deal better then the fx5200 :p

D

Danya

BTW it;s not a case of native dx9 support, it;s a case of having it at all. There's no non-native support, if your card doesn't have it, tough. :p

That said there are currently around 0 games which use DX9 features and the Ti4800 is a faster card.

B

boni_ofdavoid

Yup, whatever 'dx9' features a card boasts, the chances are most appliactions are lagged by things like texure caching or fill rate. A more powerfull card will almost always do better, as seems to be the case here, and is undoubtably the case with something like DAOC.

D

Danya

texture caching is a minor issue on most new cards due to excessive texture memory. Fill rate tends to be more of an issue, or often they're limited by your cpu being too slow. You can have the fastest gfx card in the world but if your cpu is slow then games aren't going to run well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom