FH news User country flags

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dear all,

I have installed and enabled an addon that performs a country lookup against your account each time you login. However, the country flags are NOT visible to anyone apart from the administrators and moderators, in other words, other users CANNOT see the flags.

Having said that, if you the community deem it good to have them visible on membercards and profile pages then that can be implemented. You will notice a new option within your privacy settings which you can change to restrict who can see your country flag.

Poag

m00?
Oddly enough mine defaulted to visable to all, rather than none :(

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
As I mentioned in the OP the flags are NOT visible to anyone other than administrators/moderators, the privacy option only comes into effect if the flags are shown to users.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I have no problem with it showing. Be nice to not have to guess where people come from. I can help understand their point of view. Most of the regulars know where each other are from anyway.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I bet Deebs is selling this information to Amazon as we speak!

Damn Freddyshouse is turning into google.

They'll know what country were from, next, our shoe size.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I bet Deebs is selling this information to Amazon as we speak!

Damn Freddyshouse is turning into google.

They'll know what country were from, next, our shoe size.
Firstly, I have always put user privacy and security first and foremost. For example I asked @SheepCow to create an addon to store passwords in bcrypt format before it was available in the forum software core. Secondly, to monitor page stats I implemented piwik (self hosted analytics) instead of using Google's tracking platform.

As for the country flags, I already have access to every IP used to access the forums, I could just export this and run it against a lookup script to find out where you access FreddysHouse from. This addon simply allows the administrators/moderators at a glance to quickly see what country you are in.

In closing, there is absolutely nothing untoward in what I am doing here. Never has been, never will be.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Firstly, I have always put user privacy and security first and foremost. For example I asked @SheepCow to create an addon to store passwords in bcrypt format before it was available in the forum software core. Secondly, to monitor page stats I implemented piwik (self hosted analytics) instead of using Google's tracking platform.

As for the country flags, I already have access to every IP used to access the forums, I could just export this and run it against a lookup script to find out where you access FreddysHouse from. This addon simply allows the administrators/moderators at a glance to quickly see what country you are in.

In closing, there is absolutely nothing untoward in what I am doing here. Never has been, never will be.

Probably should have added a winky face or a tongue face at the end of my post.

I appreciate the response though, it's very well thought out.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Probably should have added a winky face or a tongue face at the end of my post.

I appreciate the response though, it's very well thought out.
Please accept my apology, I do take privacy/security seriously and that is why I reacted in the way I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom