Usage allowance on broadband.

Coren

Fledgling Freddie
So the lovely BT have reduced the price of my ADSL by £5, and all they ask in return is a 15Gb/month usage allowance. Cheers. Can anyone explain what this means for daoc, and whether they think it will be enough for our house - me playing daoc up to several hours a day, and two other people using the same connection for the net and stuff but no major downloads?

If not, anyone know a good alternative broadband provider (not in a cable area) in the UK...?

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
IF you are not downloading much warez (games, movies, large programs), you'll never hit it :)

Ow, and you don't know it.. but you prolly had a fair-use policy aswell.. somewhat similiar to this.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
even if you played online gaming 24/7 for a month you wouldnt hit the cap.

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
you shouldn't have a problem but it depends on the other users if they are downloading music/movies then you could cap it.

if you want another internet supplier see if you have cable in your area and go for telewest or ntl.

ntl will be bringing out connection via BT ADSL lines as well.

I know there will be people out there who wouldn't touch ntl for whatever reason but over 1million customers (reached before BT got it) can't be wrong.
they also do tech support for AOL customers as well!!

Coren

Fledgling Freddie
OK cheers, looks like it won't be a problem. If I want to download stuff I just do it at uni anyway....

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
If you've ever been with, or worked for NTHell you will understand why people don't want to have anything to do with them - their customer service is even worse than Goa's used to be ;)

I think Wanadoo do quite a good deal on ADSL as well.

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
wanadoo adsl is capped at 2GB a month i think

now AOL i know ppl mock and despise em, but ive never had a problem with em, £30 a month 1GB adsl and no download limits ( i DL around 40gb a month + game time ect) :)

Gamah

Banned
Sparda said:

now AOL i know ppl mock and despise em, but ive never had a problem with em, £30 a month 1GB adsl and no download limits ( i DL around 40gb a month + game time ect) :)

1GB ADSL!!!!!!!!!!! you rock! :p

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
Naetha said:
If you've ever been with, or worked for NTHell you will understand why people don't want to have anything to do with them - their customer service is even worse than Goa's used to be ;)

I think Wanadoo do quite a good deal on ADSL as well.
I work for them, not had a problem with them and not all of us are just normal phone monkeys who don't know our arses from our elbows.

just as an information thing BT got the worst rated customer service on a recent OFTEL investigation. NTL got one of the best.

poisono

Fledgling Freddie
Its easy to hit a 1.5gig/cap you just dont realise it.. All these Video's of DAoC pictures etc...

An amazing provider is Zen Internet. I would back the use of these. I personally dont own ADSL yes (Activation date of 3rd September w00t) but, ive installed lines and routers and ive only used Zen Internet. No limits etc. One amazing customer support.. :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Nildram and Plusnet are constantly voted at the top ASDL isp's in the UK and they have no download caps.

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
Did we have these caps before? they too cut down o illegal downloading or???

Gamah

Banned
cHodAX said:
Nildram and Plusnet are constantly voted at the top ASDL isp's in the UK and they have no download caps.

Just to correct you old friend nildram have a 150gb/month download cap on 1mb & 2 mb services (I've had both) but this is VERY hard to reach even for a big downloader like me!

Its actully worked out by having 512k downloading at cap 24/7 for a month :)

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
Plus net are the best ISP in the uk.

I have used all the major ones, Nildram, Demon, Clara etc

Plus net is the best by far.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I have plusnet and no problems at all
i still use the original ip they leased to me even tho i didnt opt for fixed ip, they e-mail you of any outages (generally thy do it in the wee hrs of the morning which only really affects hardcore gamers :p )
best of all no download caps \o/
thay are £21.99 p month for 512/256

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
hmm so that works out at something like 50 days play per month for 15gb .. unless my maths is totally screwy

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Sparda said:

the basic package is, then its 15gb then 30gb. i work in wanadoo tech. now according to my contract i am not allowed to say anything bad about the company at all. but also notice im not saying anything good ;)

take it as you will.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Coren, I use on average 300mb for an 8 hour play session with my main and a buffbot. BT's effective new 500mb a day cap is a joke, I can surpass that just playing daoc and browsing my usually sites combined with the odd RvR video or a game demo/patch.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Moriath said:
hmm so that works out at something like 50 days play per month for 15gb .. unless my maths is totally screwy
Your maths is totally screwy - it's 100 days (15000/150 = 100). ;)

Personally I'm with eclipse - they're fast, reliable and if there is a download cap I've never hit it (and I've downloaded 4GB/day before). ;)

Here's a nice graph showing some of the ISPs discussed in this thread btw:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/co...eeserve=ON&zen=ON&pipex=ON&cmp_action=Compare

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
Gonna move to blueyonder when thse caps come into effect. Cheaper, 50% extra speed and NO Download caps :)

Gungo

One of Freddy's beloved
Well i still download over 30 gig a month, and i am on BT so i think you might find it isnt a cap but just a reduced fair use policy ;)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie

Graknak

Fledgling Freddie
Here in Holland if ya hit yer cap(mine currently at 40gb and i did hit it a few times, thank god i got friends in higher places ;)), yer up/download gets reduced to the equivalent of using a 56k modem, dunno about such policies in the UK tho...

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
sibanac said:
I said about 150 for 12h play, its your maths thats screwed :)
I assumed day = 12 hours; most people don't play 24 hours a day due to needing sleep...

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Blueyonder 3Mb Internet 4thewin.. there CSR's are a bunch of wankers but the service is great! not had a probelm in 4 years

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Coren said:
So the lovely BT have reduced the price of my ADSL by £5, and all they ask in return is a 15Gb/month usage allowance. Cheers. Can anyone explain what this means for daoc, and whether they think it will be enough for our house - me playing daoc up to several hours a day, and two other people using the same connection for the net and stuff but no major downloads?

If not, anyone know a good alternative broadband provider (not in a cable area) in the UK...?

the limit that they say isn't enforced , so i wouldn't worry about it.
btw i work for BT Yahoo Broadband ... any questions just ask =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom