United States Corrupt Twattery

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well, I guess I can hold his Christianity against him? ;)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
His run-in with Cathy Newman?

Don't get me wrong @Wij - I've only watched a little of his stuff online (not read his books) - and I'll be honest, didn't find much wrong with it. In the same way that I didn't think he said a thing out of place in the Cathy Newman interview (which this article seems to think paints him in a bad light).

You seem to hate him though and I don't hate you - so can you post some vids of his where he's just talking utter shite so I can reappraise him? At the moment all there seems to be are a lot of articles from people that are pissed off with him (and I'm sure there's a lot of people who publish articles where it's a bit of a love-in - so they probably cancel each other out.

But if there's a lot of stuff out there where he's pontificating absolute bollocks I'd like to see it - I've watched maybe an hour or so of his stuff across several vids and he comes across as an intelligent, reasonable guy. Maybe I don't agree with some of what he says, do agree with some of what he does say, but I don't get the vitriol.

The Cathy Newman thing is a case in point - she acted like she fucking hated him - but I don't think he said anything particularly inflammatory IMO and weathered the storm well and with dignity. Where's the hatred coming from?
I quoted some from the earlier article. E.g:

"the soul of the individual eternally hungers for the heroism of genuine Being"

But practically everything he says is like that. It's all meaningless bollocks.

I literally had no idea who he was until a few days ago but I watched the video that Hawkwind posted and he didn't say thing that would stand up to any scrutiny.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Like I said @Wij. Watched some of his videos - yeah, like anything from not a hard science there's a fair bit of waffle in there, but I don't understand the vitriol aimed against him. Individual sentences do look ridiculous but in context maybe they're not so unreasonable when you're trying to understand the gist of what he's trying to get at (whether you agree or not is a different thing - he is a sky-fairy worshipper after all).

Looks like a reasonable guy trying to do a reasonable job to me. The left-wing press have a real bee in their bonnet about him though - I think because he dares to say "we're not all equal". - Though has explicitly stated that we should all be given equality of opportunity.

Meh. There's a lot more deserving targets of hate out there.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I don't hate him. I just have no respect for someone who talks without giving any meaningful content. It is not worthy of analysis. The fact that he thinks he deserves respect just makes him even more ridiculous.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't hate him. I just have no respect for someone who talks without giving any meaningful content. It is not worthy of analysis. The fact that he thinks he deserves respect just makes him even more ridiculous.
I'd watch some of his stuff then - if you're just reading articles rather than watching his actual stuff then you'll build up a particular impression. I wouldn't say he's devoid of any meaningful content - what sort of academic does studies that are utterly worthless? It may not be physics, but there's at least some research going on there that will contribute something worthwhile to the sum of human understanding.

Generally when people of a certain ideology line up to trash you as a person you must be saying things that challenge their world view. If the challenge is weak and meaningless they'll ignore you - if there's at least some evidence behind what he's saying then he becomes a threat.

I suspect with him it's the latter...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'd watch some of his stuff then - if you're just reading articles rather than watching his actual stuff then you'll build up a particular impression. I wouldn't say he's devoid of any meaningful content - what sort of academic does studies that are utterly worthless? It may not be physics, but there's at least some research going on there that will contribute something worthwhile to the sum of human understanding.

Generally when people of a certain ideology line up to trash you as a person you must be saying things that challenge their world view. If the challenge is weak and meaningless they'll ignore you - if there's at least some evidence behind what he's saying then he becomes a threat.

I suspect with him it's the latter...
I suspect you are wrong.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Political parties targeting racial, economic, religious,... or any group for that matter to gain votes is nothing new. Reagan's team was putting flyers on windscreens of dead babies/fetus and naming opposition candidates as child murderers. They targeted the mid west in particular for strong christian beliefs. Obama's team used similar tactics to galvanize the "people of colour" and the LGBTQ+P... communities saying the right wanted their rights or them removed.

This is US politics, nothing new. Politics at it absolute worst. The whole US system is corrupt due to money and Lobbyist.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

Honestly would not even bother to read his book, it is of no interest to me. I think that is true for a lot of people who are listening to him on certain issues. He has sparked discussion and at least shined a light on the extreme lefts activities in both universities and politics. In particular pointing out how it is affecting free speech. It is resonating with a lot of people who are fed up with the over the top political correctness, anti men, anti whiteness and anti sex normative campaign that is rife on the left. The very fact that the left media discredits everything he says or does shows they are worried about him and his message.

I read about 1/3 of that review before switching off. Another diatribe of vitriol, a hatchet job dressed up as a review.

Quote:
This is just the fucking worst.

Imagine a self-help book written by the Darth Maul of tenured campus bad boys, an act of trahison des clercs so severe that it calls into question the entire five-thousand-year academic project—a book that seeks to make accessible to a general audience a mélange of mysticism, philosophy, psychology and dietary recommendations, assembled into a package so intellectually low-cal that it would be hilarious were it not basically a to-do list for a generation of tiki torch-wielding neo-Klansmen.

So, very basically, anyone that does not agree with me or the left is a nazi. They wonder why people are so fed up with this attitude and voted a moron like Trump in.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I read the article, then I looked up the author. He's a left-winger who writes for the Guardian. I think his basic fundamental beliefs are put under threat by Peterson. And he's not exactly an intellectual - so where's he getting his opinions from?:

Richard Poplak's own bio said:
Richard Poplak ... trained as a filmmaker and fine artist at Montreal’s Concordia University and has produced and directed numerous short films, music videos and commercials.

I actually started to watch Identity Politics & The Marxist Lie Of White Privilege (I don't know how much waffle I can put up with, but I'll perservere over time) - but when this (about 50 seconds) is what Jordan Peterson thinks of Richard Poplak's political leanings then you can understand the scathing "review" - as it undermines his belief system.

And the short-film and commercial maker says this:
the Foreword, which is written by Dr Norman Doidge, author of the bestselling [Publisher’s note: yup] The Brain That Changes Itself, who offers an encomium of Peterson so effusive that the book instantly takes on the air of a self-published manuscript written by a lay intellectual who once audited a Phil 101 class at the Winnipeg Technical Institute, circa 1983
What qualifies him as a superior intellectual?

Meh. Like I've said before - in response to your seemingly viceral hatred of this guy I've watched a fair bit of his stuff. I don't think there's a lot wrong with what he's trying to say. I don't think it's particularly scientific but I think it's coming from a good place and with good meaning. He's an individualist conservative with religious beliefs. Not a mad cunt monster.

I've never been a fan of the whole left-right thing - it's massively oversimplifying and woefully inadequate to describe the complex political and social landscape but I do have to say that the "left" certainly has a bee in their bonnet about him because they don't seem to be able to present much of an coherent alternative argument. Just a series of scathing "reviews".... :\

Meh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just to throw something into the mix @Wij:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU7AewaHr0Q

OK, there's stuff to take exception to in there. But is it such a bad worldview? Why are people so threatened by that?

I can personally vouch for the lawyer thing - that describes exactly my brother in law and his working circumstances.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The Cathy Newman type response to that video,"so you're saying women can't be lawyers? Or, hold their own against men in high position? Lobster, lobster.... :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My funny reaction is towards the FBI stuff, not the holocaust survivor.... in case anyone misconstrues...

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Just to throw something into the mix @Wij:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU7AewaHr0Q

OK, there's stuff to take exception to in there. But is it such a bad worldview? Why are people so threatened by that?

I can personally vouch for the lawyer thing - that describes exactly my brother in law and his working circumstances.

So I watched that thinking it was going to be some nutjob. I think a lot of it is very specific to the US, and to Canada, and I found myself nodding to most of what he says. To be poor in the USA is to be in hell. Women especially get a raw deal. Society as a whole may have changed a lot in the last 70 years, but unlike the European welfare states, in the USA change has left a lot of people behind, who have no means of catching up. You see it reflected in police brutality, the gated communities, the addiction crisis that's ravaging middle America.

As I was writing this, I was watching some other stuff, I can see why people feel threatened by it. We live in a world where you are not allowed to challenge anything or anybody, and inevitably, when someone does, people are threatened.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Watching Russia today over here in sunny spain.
Footage of the Syrian militants/mercenaries being offered bus rides home from the battle areas in exchange for minefield maps and dismantling of booby traps.
Eatching the conflict from the Russian viewpoint is something we hardly get to see.
America and the UK is determined not to let this war end.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Watching Russia today over here in sunny spain.
Footage of the Syrian militants/mercenaries being offered bus rides home from the battle areas in exchange for minefield maps and dismantling of booby traps.
Eatching the conflict from the Russian viewpoint is something we hardly get to see.
America and the UK is determined not to let this war end.

Why would they? Syrian refuges rarely reach the UK or US, meanwhile, Americas enemies like Iran, Syria, Russia, Hezbollah and the other rich middle eastern religious nutters are pouring lots of resources into a war that might just break them. As my former Ranger colleague said: "If they ain't killing us, and they are killing each other, then lets give them as much time as they need".

Geo-politically, the US and Turkey messed up already. The smart move, in hindsight, would have been an independent Kurdish state in Iraq that could annex the Syrian areas under Kurdish control all the way to the Mediterranean, creating a US backed zone from Turkey to the Persian gulf.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The smart move, in hindsight, would have been an independent Kurdish state in Iraq that could annex the Syrian areas under Kurdish control all the way to the Mediterranean, creating a US backed zone from Turkey to the Persian gulf.

Apart from the fact that Turkey and US are not exactly on great terms now.
Opinion | The Only Thing Turkey and the U.S. Can Agree On
Trump to call Erdogan amid US-Turkey Tensions - CNNPolitics

The US would like to give the Kurds a strong base and independence (Kirkut) but the Turks will not let it happen. Lots of history there including the wish for recognition and rights for Kurdish people. PKK issue does not help things with the long history of violent acts of terrorism inside Turkey.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Hows the impeachment going?

Our press and American liberal press have spent the entire time bigging up every tiny issue into some game over event and swamping the the whole debate with anti Trump.....meanwhile the republicans are actually carrying on with changing the face of America in the background.
I bet 90% of Brits havent a clue what legislation has been passed since Trump took power.
They have just joined in the booing crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom