United States Corrupt Twattery

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I thought the bottom right one was his cum face.

As in receiving bukakki.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Here's hoping he stays around for another 7 years. The meltdown from "right thinking" people is just too fucking hilarious to watch.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Point 4 is the way forward.

The US is the only country with free speech. We should be following their example.

Shame we don't and instead have all these fucking stupid laws against what you can say.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Hopefully the Front Room can follow in its footsteps one day.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Hopefully the Front Room can follow in its footsteps one day.

When have you been silenced?

Note, there is a difference in having your views challenged and being silenced, one is shutting you down, one is asking you to back up your claims.

Job

I was referring to certain individuals who always call for me to be banned.
I guess I was referring to commenters rather than the forum.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

What a crock of shit that was.

Completely incorrect regards the Free Speech Week organizers at Berkeley being stonewalled by the administration, they were completely and only approved after everything was published showing their silly games to stop it. See video with the emails and everything laid out. I don't think Milo is any kind of force for good but I do believe absolutely in free speech.

excert from gruaniad - Is it possible that the organisers would like nothing more than for Berkeley to insist on reasonable measures to ensure order, before flouncing off and crying censorship? Surely not

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5Xgak1zzA

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It's up to the Universities what they want to do.

There is free speech, if there wasn't, they wouldn't even be in fucking news articles moaning about free speech.

This Freedom of Speech shit that's been cropped up is hilarious, all of the alt-right people are throwing it around at -any- possibility and all their fans are getting riled up by it, even though it's a load of over exaggerated bull

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
ofc its up to them, but you can't claim to be a bastion of debate when you shut down one side because you happen to disagree with them.

Modern liberalism = freedom of speech so long as you agree with me.

People are terrified of an opposing view, they surround themselves in echochambers online, only following people that enforce their opinion and avoiding anyone that doesn't agree. It's dangerous and it gets people like Trump elected.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Populist arguments pander to those of low education and intellect.

The far right panders to this and exploits it very well.

No-platforming is the wrong response but it must be hugely tempting when you understand that most people can't follow an argument.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It doesn't actually matter what idiotic terms you use to frame it. Silencing an argument is stupid, challenging an argument works. If it doesn't then either the person arguing their case is doing a shit job or the argument has no merit.

Gwadien

It doesn't actually matter what idiotic terms you use to frame it. Silencing an argument is stupid, challenging an argument works. If it doesn't then either the person arguing their case is doing a shit job or the argument has no merit.

Arguments are challenged -all- over the place, they just cherry pick times to say omg freedom of speech because someone has said nah, you cause too much trouble.

I was playing Squad last night (and this is all serious) there was this American kid who was going on about Trump, and how we're gonna kick all the immigrants out etc - he was just stirring up shit to provoke a reaction, which people were responding to him.

Then I kicked him from my squad and he started crying on the all chat that i'm restricting his freedom of speech etc.

I was like are you fucking serious?

This appears to be the trend for the alt-right, I bet they're gutted when they have to go and give a speech somewhere, preferring them to be stopped so they can scream oppression.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
When you shut down talks and debate because you do not agree with an opinion or political movement that is shutting down free speech. ANTIFA and the left do exactly this to anything they regard as hate speech, which is anything they don't agree with. They even condone violence, calling it the defence of their community against hate. Anyone who opposes them is a Fascist or Nazi. It is completely mental!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Considering most of the prudishness and censorship of the last few decades in the US has been driven by the hard right it does seem amusing that they cry about it so much

want to talk about the negative aspects of mass gun ownership, debate abortion rights, or flag burning? Lol nope you will be crucified or blocked from the rights strongholds

Being not wanted by the universities does not surprise me, the guys they are blocking are not your average joe scientist with a new view point, these guys are the types of people that like to hint at violence at anyone that disagrees with them

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Populist arguments pander to those of low education and intellect.

The far right panders to this and exploits it very well.

No-platforming is the wrong response but it must be hugely tempting when you understand that most people can't follow an argument.

Doesn't matter that its tempting, its still fundamentally misguided.

Arguments are challenged -all- over the place, they just cherry pick times to say omg freedom of speech because someone has said nah, you cause too much trouble.

I was playing Squad last night (and this is all serious) there was this American kid who was going on about Trump, and how we're gonna kick all the immigrants out etc - he was just stirring up shit to provoke a reaction, which people were responding to him.

Then I kicked him from my squad and he started crying on the all chat that i'm restricting his freedom of speech etc.

This appears to be the trend for the alt-right, I bet they're gutted when they have to go and give a speech somewhere, preferring them to be stopped so they can scream oppression.

A university is literally the last place where the argument "its too much trouble" is acceptable. And its a lie anyway; there wouldn't be too much trouble if the no-platforming idiots weren't demonstrating. Play the ball not the man.

As for your fucktard gamer, the right to free speech isn't the right to force people to listen.

Gwadien

Look at it this way - hate breeds hate, if you are the boss of an organisation that holds rallies or something, I wouldn't let anyone make speeches who openly incites hatred because it's detrimental to society - this doesn't expand to every political view that isn't 'correct' it's just the ones that are obviously out there to create hatred - Why don't we let ISIS hold some rallies? Freedom of speech etc?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Doesn't matter that its tempting, its still fundamentally misguided
Absolutely agree.

Look at it this way - hate breeds hate, if you are the boss of an organisation that holds rallies or something, I wouldn't let anyone make speeches who openly incites hatred because it's detrimental to society - this doesn't expand to every political view that isn't 'correct' it's just the ones that are obviously out there to create hatred - Why don't we let ISIS hold some rallies? Freedom of speech etc?
You don't believe in freedom of speech. Your viewpoint is exactly why freedom of speech is in the american constitution - people who think like you do fail to understand that "its just the ones that are obviously out there to create hatred" is part of the problem.

WHO defines that, and HOW do you define it without free speech?

The only answer is to actually have proper free speech and hold people responsible for their actions - not their words.

Why don't we let ISIS hold some rallies?
Because we don't have freedom of speech. They should be allowed to openly debate what they like - and people should be able to openly debate them back.

Any actually violent people should be arrested. Capiche?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Being not wanted by the universities does not surprise me, the guys they are blocking are not your average joe scientist with a new view point, these guys are the types of people that like to hint at violence at anyone that disagrees with them

Isn't the point to debate opposing views, can't do that when only one side is allowed talk. I'm no fan of Milo and his bunch of Breibart pals but when they argue at least it makes some sense and they use studies and published statistics as evidence. All you get from the opposing side right now at university is idiotic chanting and half arsed questions to the speaker before they slope off to their safe spaces.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The usual bunch of attention-seekers are behind this:

"We're going to turn up at a black church and shout N****R at them for four hours"
"Um. No. Don't do that please."
"Waaaaah. Our free speech is being eroded."

All from a bunch of people who make money by appearing on talk shows on major networks and selling books and column-inches. They are literally expressing their free speech every day without a problem.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

He sounds like an idiot, but that isn't an example of you silencing him, it is an example of you not wanting to listen to him any more, which is perfectly fine.

That is the difference. Just because some right wing idiot is doing a talk, does not mean you have to go along and listen to them but just because you don't want to listen to them does not mean that they should be barred from speaking... although if anyone cares about a particular subject then they should really listen to counter arguments too, as many as possible.

Also, smashing up the foyer or throwing chairs at them is not going to challenge their argument either.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The usual bunch of attention-seekers are behind this:

"We're going to turn up at a black church and shout N****R at them for four hours"
"Um. No. Don't do that please."
"Waaaaah. Our free speech is being eroded."

All from a bunch of people who make money by appearing on talk shows on major networks and selling books and column-inches. They are literally expressing their free speech every day without a problem.
Populists - and the dumb are falling for it. Hence Trump and the like.

However, no-platforming is not the right idea. Like I said - it's tempting - because the voice of evidence and reason gets drowned out in the cacophony of everyone wanting their "opinion" heard...

Job

Scouse your elitism is leaking, not all populism is the result of poor education and I balk at the idea that when you say 'education' you really mean , what I think.
You have a tendency to shut your ears to reasonable argument if there is the slightest whiff of van man about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom