Upgrading

mank!

Part of the furniture
With all these new games coming out and the fact that BF:Vietnam doesn't run as well as it could even at lowest detail I think it's about time I upgraded as it hasn't been touched since I built it two years ago. The current spec is:

Pentium4 2.0GHz
Epox 4BDA2
512MB PC2100 RAM
GeForce 4 Ti4200
1x 80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
1x 40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
Chieftec case w/ 360W PSU
Lite-On LTR 40x12x48 CD-RW
LG DVD-ROM
iiyama 17" VisionMaster Pro 413

I think that's about it unless I've forgotten something vitally important.

What I presume needs upgrading is the processor, my graphics card and I wouldn't mind whacking 1GB of RAM in there as I still haven't got round to it. Problem is reading all of the stuff on websites makes no sense to me so I come here for laymen's terms. What's the best processor and graphics cards to go for? I've got no real budget but I don't want to spend a fortune. If anyone thinks something else could do with being upgraded then mention it please.

thanks

Clown

Part of the furniture
Is that 512MB one stick or two?
If you wanna save some money, maybe bump that up to 1GB and get a 9800 Pro... then see if it plays to your satisfaction. The 9800 Pro would still be good when you put it in a new computer :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
I'll upgrade the RAM to 2x 512mb PC3200 at some point, that's decided.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Then you're gonna need a new motherbaord I think. And if you get a new motherboard then you might as well get a new CPU. You could probably get an AMD Athlon 2500+ Mobile XP Barton (whatever round alll those words go), which would give you really good performance if you overclock it and for much cheaper. I dunno. I don't like talking like I know stuff, because I'm nearly always wrong.

Then you would probably need a new CPU cooler. And maybe a nice new case to put it all in. I hate doing this. I end up replacing everything and end up like my thread down there :(

mank!

Part of the furniture
Why will I need a new mobo? I don't want a new one.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I suck. I meant PC2700 not PC3200. Clown sucks.

Clown

Part of the furniture
According to the Epox web site then your motherboard doesn't take that either.

mank!

Part of the furniture
We've discussed this in IRC. I'll have to go for the 2100 then. Never mind!

ta though
congratulations.gif

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Clown said:
Then you're gonna need a new motherbaord I think. And if you get a new motherboard then you might as well get a new CPU.

and if you get a new cpu, you might as well get a new heatsink fan. If you get a new heatsink fan, you will need a bigger PSU. If you gt a bigger PSU youll need a bigger case. If you get a bigger case, you might need a bigger room

You might as well move house when you are at it matey.

dont things have a habit of spiralling out of control :D

Clown

Part of the furniture
Clown said:
Then you would probably need a new CPU cooler. And maybe a nice new case to put it all in. I hate doing this. I end up replacing everything and end up like my thread down there :(
What?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom